Solved

Which board to buy? Any help?

Tags:
  • Motherboards
  • Product
Last response: in Motherboards
a b V Motherboard
October 4, 2010 8:12:44 PM

Hey Guys, long time lurker, newly registered member (awesum site lol) :bounce:  .

I was hoping you guys might help me decide on what motherboard i should get. Now i narrowed the best two i found intriguing to the Asus Rampage III Formula and the MSI Big Bang X-Power. Which on newegg were priced the same.

Now out of those two, which is best for Overclocking with best output performance? (Or which would you go for?) :pt1cable:  .

And on a 'no money limit' basis: Overall which is the best board to buy out there to pair with the i7 980x?

Any links, ideas, hints, & advice is greatly appreciated! =)

And on a side note - yes i'll be using the i7 980x for whatever board i buy lol.

More about : board buy

a b V Motherboard
October 4, 2010 11:54:07 PM

to me the best of all in terms of x58 must be the sabertooth, the big bang x power, and the ud9, ive been an msi guy all mi life so i gottago with the big bang
m
l

Best solution

a c 236 V Motherboard
October 5, 2010 1:08:19 AM

Best board mony can buy is:
EVGA Classified SR2 (Dual Sockets)
Gigabyte GA-X58A-UD9
EVGA Classified
ASUS Rampage III

Best for the Price:
ASUS P6X58D-E
ASUS SABERTOOTH X58
ASUS P6X58D Premium
EVGA X58 FTW3
Gigabyte GA-X58A-UD3R

@xaira: No MSI on my list but I've had bad experience with them :( 
Related resources
a b V Motherboard
October 5, 2010 1:38:10 AM

tecmo34 said:
Best board mony can buy is:
EVGA Classified SR2 (Dual Sockets)
Gigabyte GA-X58A-UD9
EVGA Classified
ASUS Rampage III

Now is that the Rampage III Formula or the Extreme? Cause i know there's two out there =P

m
l
a c 236 V Motherboard
October 5, 2010 1:53:28 AM

Sorry... It would be the ASUS Ramage III Extreme.

Also, the EVGA Classified 3 will be on the list once released to replace the original Classified (3 will have USB 3.0 & SATA III)
m
l
a b V Motherboard
October 5, 2010 1:07:05 PM

Man that EVGA C3 looks pretty sexy. Now i'm wondering if i should buy that.

I know these two:
ASUS SABERTOOTH X58
ASUS P6X58D Premium

Are good boards on a lower budget. lol - what to do what to do.

What would you go for tecmo34?
m
l
a c 236 V Motherboard
October 5, 2010 2:58:11 PM

Being I'm not an extreme overclocker, I would go with the ASUS Sabertooth or ASUS P6X58D-E.

If you are in to high-end overclocking... I would go with the EVGA Classified 3 all the way (if budget supports it).
m
l
a b V Motherboard
October 5, 2010 3:47:16 PM

Well my budget supports it, that's not a problem. I'm setting a budget (total) for about $3,000. lol. Of course, that includes deducting $1,000 for the i7 980x. Yeah yeah, it's a waste of money - but hey i'm a picky guy lol.

Only thing is, i like over-clocking, usually for when i do benchmarks or LAN parties, but on a daily basis i don't overclock much. And for the i7 i probably won't OC farther than 4.0GHz. I'm going to be using air cooling (or maybe i should just go with phase-cooling xD) since i don't like water cooling =P.

So then if i won't do much OC, would it be wise to spend the extra $$? lol, that seems to be my dilemma now. To be or not to be OC'ed? xD
m
l
a c 236 V Motherboard
October 5, 2010 3:53:01 PM

Okay... let look at it another way.

Do you plan to ever run 3 GPU's and a PhysX's card? If no... get either the ASUS Sabertooth X58 or ASUS P6X58D-E. If you do... than the Classified 3 is the logical choice!
m
l
a b V Motherboard
October 5, 2010 4:18:37 PM

tecmo34 said:
Okay... let look at it another way.

Do you plan to ever run 3 GPU's and a PhysX's card? If no... get either the ASUS Sabertooth X58 or ASUS P6X58D-E. If you do... than the Classified 3 is the logical choice!

I completely forgot about that! xDD Well i do plan on going 3-way SLi. Not exactly 3-way + PhysX. If anything 2-way + Physx is hell of alot of power for my gaming: a GTX 460 + GTS 250 for PhysX has pretty much held up all my games on the Highest settings with 30FPS+ on most. It would hit about (avg.) 28FPS on Metro 2033 using D11 with everything set on highest.

All right so then i'll put the C3 on my "Future upgrade in case of boredom - list".

Now i just noticed something about the Sabertooth x58. It has 2 x PCIe 2.0 and 1 x PCIe 1.0? What's up with that? lol
m
l
a c 236 V Motherboard
October 5, 2010 4:47:27 PM

If you are using the last slot for PhysX's... It won't make a difference or any type of bottleneck being PCIe 1.0.
m
l
a b V Motherboard
October 6, 2010 1:09:35 PM

Best answer selected by Gekko Shadow.
m
l
a b V Motherboard
October 6, 2010 3:20:52 PM

Eh, but it might be best to get one of the other ASUS ones, just in case i ever go 3-way SLi lol.
m
l
a c 236 V Motherboard
October 6, 2010 4:14:41 PM

If you are going with 3-way SLI... I say it is just time to upgrade to the newer and best cards out in a 2-way SLI. You shouldn't ever need 3-2ay SLI, unless you are into benchmarking... IMO
m
l
a b V Motherboard
October 6, 2010 4:27:48 PM

well i'm currently using a GTX 460. I'm definitely sticking to Fermi's now lol.

And i'm not settling for anything lower then the GTX 480's for this new build. I prefer the GTX 495, but that's still in project mode lol.

m
l
!