Need help with HTPC build

APPROXIMATE PURCHASE DATE: Within a month period

BUDGET RANGE: $1000

SYSTEM USAGE FROM MOST TO LEAST IMPORTANT: Home theater, general Internet use

PARTS NOT REQUIRED: TV

PREFERRED WEBSITE(S) FOR PARTS: Newegg

PARTS PREFERENCES: Only preference is probably just a Intel processor

OVERCLOCKING: No SLI OR CROSSFIRE: Not needed for HTPC

MONITOR RESOLUTION: My TV resolution is 1366 x 768.
8 answers Last reply
More about need htpc build
  1. Here's a build I was considering myself.

nMEDIAPC Black Aluminum / Acrylic / Steel HTPC 5000B Micro ATX Media Center / HTPC Case - Retail
    Nice little HTPC case.
    $60

GIGABYTE GA-H55M-USB3 LGA 1156 Intel H55 HDMI USB 3.0 Micro ATX Intel Motherboard - Retail
    H55 mobo with USB 3.0.
    $110

Hauppauge WinTV-HVR-2250 Dual TV Tuner / Encoder 1229 PCI-Express x1 Interface - OEM
    Dual-tuner, so you can record and watch simultaneously.
    $110

CORSAIR CMPSU-400CX 400W ATX12V V2.2 80 PLUS Certified Compatible with Core i7 Power Supply - Retail
    Decent PSU.
    $55 - $10 MiR

Intel Core i3-530 Clarkdale 2.93GHz LGA 1156 73W Dual-Core Desktop Processor Model BX80616I3530 - Retail
    Intel, low power consumption, integrated GPU, and HD audio bitstreaming.
    $125

G.SKILL ECO Series 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1333 (PC3 10666) Desktop Memory Model F3-10666CL7D-4GBECO - Retail
    Low volts, CL7.
    $115

SAMSUNG Spinpoint F3EG HD203WI 2TB SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive -Bare Drive
    2TB Samsung F3. Fast drive, low power consumption. 1TB out of stock.
    $180

Logitech Cordless Desktop EX 100 Black RF Wireless Standard Keyboard and Mouse - Retail
    Nice wireless KB. Can be upgraded to one with a touchpad/trackball if you want.
    $32

LITE-ON Black 4X Blu-ray Reader SATA Model iHOS104-06 - OEM
    Just a BR reader. You might want to look at a BR combo drive if you want to burn CDs and/or DVDs, or a BR burner.
    $62

Rosewill Windows 7 Certified Media Center Infrared Remote Control RRC-127
    A remote.
    $28

Total: $886.89 before rebates
    You have room to upgrade that ODD to a BR burner (~$150) or get an OS if you need one.

EDIT: Forgot the HDD, but fixed.

2. You prolly dun need that AthlonII X4 so an X3 would do hehe SSD also a luxury IMO
  3. Check the iNavigator from Unisen. its a wireless PC remote with full qwerty and a touch pad mouse. Not much bigr than a blackberry and looks alot like it. jus like a wireless keyboard/mouse but hand-held. also has linnk button to web site with one-click to online steaming content. $49 bucks, not bad--unisen-usa.com or ebay.
    mookie
  4. Thank you replying to my thread. I will consider all and then repost the components for a reevaluation.
  5. Alright, I have come up with a build from your suggestion.

EDIT: I realized that my build is going to be similar to blackjellognor.

@mookieray I could not find any picture on the iNavigator but I guess you meant the iPazzport.

I like it and I might get that instead of other keyboard.
  6. Jake, check back on the site today if you haven't already. They've put the iNav on the site at $59. and are saying it is available March 15th.
  7. it looks just like the ipazzport, but will have a yellow button where the alt key is that will take you to the iTV server. Once there, it's one-click city and you can literally watch a netflix, hulu, youtube video etc. very easily. Once the product gets on the street and in the hands of more users, it will be THE remote to have.
  8. The build suggested by blackjellognomes would work great as a HTPC. Here's a combo deal for the CPU and motherboard he suggested that saves you $10.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ComboDealDetails.aspx?ItemList=Combo.332758

I would also probably just get the remote that comes with the TV tuner card instead of the Rosewill one.

Hauppauge WinTV-HVR-2250 Media Center Kit Dual TV Tuner 1213 PCI-Express x1 Interface - Retail $129.99
Ask a new question

Read More

New Build Systems Product