MoBo Reviews at Newegg are making me nervous

mbow902

Distinguished
Oct 4, 2010
Hey all!

I'm planning my first build using a AMD Phenom II X4 black chip. I've been trying to choose MoBo's between Asus and MSI but it seems from the reviews on Newegg that HALF of the MoBo's are bad out of the box.

Any input? What about AsRock?

Solution

The only failure issues I've had with Asus boards for AMD are with those that have an NVidia chipset. No matter how long I test, it seems that some of them die just a few weeks after I say something nice about them. I haven't had those issues with Asus' AMD-chipset boards. MSI makes solid boards too, as does Gigabyte.

So, with the exception of Nvidia chipset boards from Asus, any of these manufacturers should satisfy your needs.

Of course, most of the boards I test cost more...
Hello and welcome to the forums
Well you can't trust "all " of newegg reviews, look for "Verified User" reviews which are trusted.
The best thing is to search around the web and read a review of the board that you are considering(From a trusted hardware site)

cadder

Distinguished
Nov 17, 2008
Maybe pick a different board or manufacturer. ASUS usually makes good products. I normally use Gigabyte, I haven't had any problems with the 5 I've bought this past 18 months.

I like to check out the reviews on newegg, and I read the reviews with 1 egg and 2 eggs more than the others. I look for products where 90% or more of the reviewers gave at least 3 eggs.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff

The only failure issues I've had with Asus boards for AMD are with those that have an NVidia chipset. No matter how long I test, it seems that some of them die just a few weeks after I say something nice about them. I haven't had those issues with Asus' AMD-chipset boards. MSI makes solid boards too, as does Gigabyte.

So, with the exception of Nvidia chipset boards from Asus, any of these manufacturers should satisfy your needs.

Of course, most of the boards I test cost more than $120, so if you're looking for something really cheap I can't help much.

Solution

Ar-el-es

Distinguished
Oct 1, 2010
The reviews of nVidia chips on AMD boards pretty much made me decide on getting a board with AMD chipsets. I still want nVidia graphics so I'll be tossing in a GTS 250 or GTX 460 soon. The board I did get is an MSI (of course it says that in my sig) and so far I've had no problems with it but I won't know for sure until I get a new hard drive and a full copy of Windows.

mbow902

Distinguished
Oct 4, 2010
Thanks for the warm welcome! You all have been very helpful!

I am definitely going to look into the Asus boards with the AMD chipset. My biggest concern as a first time builder was expense and aggravation of dealing with bad components. It doesn't seem that if businesses were really turning out 50% bad products that they would be in business very long.

Looking forward to sharing my build experience as things progress. Would it be possible for me to post my finalized parts list for some of you more knowledgeable folks to critique?