Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Unlocking the cores is it a smart thing for me to do?

Last response: in CPUs
Share
April 28, 2010 5:25:31 PM

hello i am thinking of unlocking the cores is the phenom ii x2 550

unlocking the cores is it a smart thing for me to do?



could you please say yes or no
April 28, 2010 5:29:34 PM

i will be using this for gaming
April 28, 2010 5:43:24 PM

Maybe.

Can you afford to damage your PC and either go without or have to purchase a new one?

Unlocking is a great way to get more performance, but AMD locked the core for a reason.
Related resources
April 28, 2010 7:36:04 PM

mrossco said:
Maybe.

Can you afford to damage your PC and either go without or have to purchase a new one?

Unlocking is a great way to get more performance, but AMD locked the core for a reason.



the problem is i will have about 330 to buy the m b,cpu,ram,gpr (may be temp) cup cooler


i have 7 in 64 bit
a c 113 à CPUs
April 28, 2010 11:31:50 PM

Perhaps Mr Ossco could provide a link where someone damaged their computer and had to purchase a new one because of the attempt to unlock a Phenom 550 ?? Let's quote this for posterity ...

Quote:
Can you afford to damage your PC and either go without or have to purchase a new one?


Posters at THG are notorious for crap comments but yours just might take the cake. Congrats.


Go for it OP ... and good luck. At best you get a quad; at worst you get a dual-core that will clock to 3.7GHz+ with ease.
a c 105 à CPUs
April 28, 2010 11:36:53 PM

you wont damage your PC, either it will work or it wont.
a b à CPUs
April 28, 2010 11:43:13 PM

With a name like Robin Banks, you're used to taking risks. I say go for it :D 
a b à CPUs
April 28, 2010 11:47:36 PM

i have my x3 425 working at 3.0ghz with all four cores + 6mb of L3 unlocked : ) go for it, only increasing fsb etc can cause damage to ur board or ram, oh, and if you plan to unlock all four cores, that would give you a phenom II x4 quad, so make sure ur board can take 125watts +
April 29, 2010 5:28:22 PM

xaira said:
i have my x3 425 working at 3.0ghz with all four cores + 6mb of L3 unlocked : ) go for it, only increasing fsb etc can cause damage to ur board or ram, oh, and if you plan to unlock all four cores, that would give you a phenom II x4 quad, so make sure ur board can take 125watts +


the mother board is ASUS M4A89GTD PRO/USB3 890GX Socket AM3 DVI VGA HDMI Out 8 Channel Audio ATX Motherboard


if its any good :??: 

i do have £360 to spend on mother board ram hdd cpu gpu(onboard if it runs 64bit)
a b à CPUs
April 29, 2010 6:04:47 PM

yip, gr8 board, 140w+ capable, go for it, just enable advanced clock calibration in bios and you shud b gr8
a b à CPUs
April 29, 2010 6:17:00 PM

It will either work or it won't Like the others have said, those cores are usually locked for a reason. It may simply need a little more voltage, but you won't know unless you try :D .
April 29, 2010 6:19:36 PM

robin banks uk said:
the mother board is ASUS M4A89GTD PRO/USB3 890GX Socket AM3 DVI VGA HDMI Out 8 Channel Audio ATX Motherboard


if its any good :??: 

i do have £360 to spend on mother board ram hdd cpu gpu(onboard if it runs 64bit)



Save your money you have a good board. Use it later to uprage to a better processor later down the road. like a PII955, PII965, 1055tx6(hexacore).
April 29, 2010 6:33:54 PM

Wisecracker said:
Posters at THG are notorious for crap comments but yours just might take the cake.


Depending on why the core was turned off, unlocking a malfunctioning core could cause the PC to no longer POST. Overclocking it could also cause the same malfunction to overheat and cause damage to the CPU. My comment generally applies to anytime someone is looking for a guarantee that if they break outside of the manufacturer's spec, it will all turn out ok.

Robin, your ASUS board should be pretty good for this. More often than not, you should be able to unlock the third and fourth core in your Phenom x2 550 with little issue, but just make sure if something does happen, you're still in a position to replace the CPU and/or motherboard. I'd hate for you to try it, fry it and then not be able to use your computer for something important.
April 29, 2010 6:48:11 PM

mrossco said:
Depending on why the core was turned off, unlocking a malfunctioning core could cause the PC to no longer POST. Overclocking it could also cause the same malfunction to overheat and cause damage to the CPU. My comment generally applies to anytime someone is looking for a guarantee that if they break outside of the manufacturer's spec, it will all turn out ok.

Robin, your ASUS board should be pretty good for this. More often than not, you should be able to unlock the third and fourth core in your Phenom x2 550 with little issue, but just make sure if something does happen, you're still in a position to replace the CPU and/or motherboard. I'd hate for you to try it, fry it and then not be able to use your computer for something important.


If it doesn't POST, then he just has to reset his BIOS which is just resetting a jumper switch. He hasn't toasted his MB or CPU.

The only place I've even HEARD of people toasting their machines by attempting to unlock the locked cores is directly from AMD support people on the AMD boards, yet I have never seen them post the actual postings from these people.

The testing occurs while the chips are still on the circular wafer which is known as a batch. If a chip in that batch is found to be defective, a lot of times they just go ahead and mark the entire batch defective which means some of those chips are probably just fine, but the entire batch has been marked to be either an X3 or X2. Hence, that is why many people, like myself, have unlocked the 4th core on their X3s and have had NOT problems what-so-ever and why others have had issues even though both chips may have come from the same batch.

I just purchased my X3 a little less than 2 months ago and you can see where I have it now: running 4 cores at x18. So, I've gone from a 2.8 ghz to a 3.61 ghz chip. Not bad in my estimation for the price I paid for the chip: $99.
April 30, 2010 9:02:48 AM

thanks everyone i am going for all or nothing wish me luck
!