Can't Find My Brand Anymore, Will Any Brand Do?

sagebrushfire

Distinguished
Sep 30, 2010
I currently have 6GB of Wintex Amp-X PC-10666 RAM in my system.

I want to buy 3GB of the stuff so I can have 9GB but I guess if I have to I could go with 6 more for 12GB. I render in After Effects and Maya and the extra RAM will actually benefit me (I also enjoy having horrendous amounts of applications open at once so, believe it or not, I generally push my 6GB to the limit).

But I can't find 3GB of Wintec Amp-X at all and the only 6GB I could find was $300 (some weird website I'd never heard of).

Can I get any brand of PC-10666 RAM and us it? I'm pretty sure I can figure out how to change the timings if that's necessary. I just don't want to screw up my overclock.

Here are my specs:

Mobo: EVGA x58 SLI Micro
CPU : Intel i7 930 @ 3.5Ghz
RAM : 6GB (3x2GB) Wintec Amp-X PC-10666
GPU : EVGA Geforce GTS 250 1GB
PSU : Corsair 850w
HDDs: 1.5TB, 500GB & 250GB HDDs (Seagate)
Case: CM Centurion 590

Also here are CPU-Z screencaps for the memory:

http://img197.imageshack.us/img197/7681/cap1c.png

http://img696.imageshack.us/img696/2131/cap2i.png

Thanks

Solution
It's okay to have mixed ram, but not ideal. It will work.
3 is an odd number. If you're gonna get more ram, it's better to get 6GB (another 3X2GB) so that your triple channel is all the same. Mix up the channels so that you have one Wintec and one other brand in it.

You're gonna have to buy ram with similar specs. Voltage should be the same so that your MB will run them both at the same voltage. If you buy faster ram, it will only run at the slowest speed of all your ram.

You can also buy the 3X4GB kit, but they're pretty spendy too.

masterasia

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2009
It's okay to have mixed ram, but not ideal. It will work.
3 is an odd number. If you're gonna get more ram, it's better to get 6GB (another 3X2GB) so that your triple channel is all the same. Mix up the channels so that you have one Wintec and one other brand in it.

You're gonna have to buy ram with similar specs. Voltage should be the same so that your MB will run them both at the same voltage. If you buy faster ram, it will only run at the slowest speed of all your ram.

You can also buy the 3X4GB kit, but they're pretty spendy too.

Solution