Slow LAN speed. WAN speed good

sgsimmons0

Distinguished
Jan 20, 2010
(WAN) Last night I downloaded an 8 GB file from the internet to my laptop. Download speed was 800 to 1024 KB/sec.

(LAN)Later I wanted to transfer the file from my laptop to my desktop. The transfer speed was in the range of 60 KB/Sec requiring hours to transfer. After 5 minutes it failed. I tried again and had the same issue, same result.

(WAN) I then logged on to the internet from the desktop and downloaded the same file again at speeds in the 800 to 1024 KB/sec.

The laptop is connected by a wireless "N" card to my Linksys WRT300N router. It connects at 130 Mbps. The Desktop is hard wired to a Linksys PSUS4 print server. From the print server through 50' of CAT5 cable to the Linksys WRT300N. (Both the router and the print server have auto crossover in the chip so that should not be the problem.) WAN speed is great on both machines. Little to no slowdown on large files.
It's just the LAN speed that I have issues with.

Desktop OS is XP Pro 32 bit. Laptop is Win 7 64 bit.

Internet [Cable Modem] Cat5 to
[WRT300N] Cat5 to [PSUS4] Cat5 to [Desktop]
----WiFi
----WiFi
----WiFi
--[Laptop]

Any Ideas?

G

Look at wireless reception/interference.

Experiment with different channels -- they work better or worse depending on environs.

If you can detect neighbouring wifi you should select a channel at least 5 stops from the strongest.

Relocate cordless phone base or video sender away from router.

sgsimmons0

Distinguished
Jan 20, 2010
Wireless isn't the issue here.
I really don't think the problem is with the Laptop WiFi because of the great connection (5 bars)

On both machines the internet connection is good with download speeds in the area of 1000 KB/sec. It's just the speed of moving files between machines and it doesn't matter if I use a WiFi connection or hard wire the latop to the router.

I have DD-WRT on the router so I am able to watch bandwidth being used. From the desktop I logged into the router and watched the laptop download a 2 GB file. Lan, Wan, and Wireless all showed the same 1.5 Mbps. I'm also able to look at wireless errors. They show 0.

Then I logged on to the router from the laptop (WiFi) and watch the same file being downloaded to the desktop. Same numbers on the LAN and WAN. Wireless was near 5 to 0.(Just enought to update the router numbers) Again wireless errors show 0.

Then I deleted the file from the desktop and transfered is back to the desktop from the laptop watching it from the desktop. LAN and wireless numbers started in the 4 Mbps range and fell to 20 Kbps until it failed. WAN stayed at or near 0. Wireless errors show 0.

Then I hard wired the laptop to the router and again moved the file. Wireless was near 0, Wan was near 0, Lan started at 60 Kbps and then averaged 20 Kbps until it failed. Wireless errors show 0.

The modem and router are 5' apart so I don't think RFI is a problem.

Beyond this, I'm lost.

jimmy2legs

Distinguished
Jan 6, 2010
Check your TCP settings.... windows 7 doesn't handle Networking the same way XP does.... had the same issue with my laptop/desktop (xp and Win7x64 respectively) minus the failing part.

also check the security settings for WAN on the 300.... i had a 610N and had nothign but issues with the wireless. too much of that cisco security bullshit on it.

sgsimmons0

Distinguished
Jan 20, 2010

The 300N has DD-WRT installed on it..... Poof...No more Cisco Security. Greatest thing that ever hit a router.

The problem with the LAN speed it corrected. Yurned out to be a Driver problem on the XP machine.

During the original install the LAN software install process failed. The LAN worked and I thought little more of it. When I noticed the problem I did a driver update from the device manager. Using the old driver because windows could not find a better match. Last night I remembered that fact and from the device manager again, I remove the LAN. Then did a hardware search and reinstalled it. Got the standard message, "Windows can't find a better driver than the on installed."
instead of using the old I replaced it with the same driver off the system board CD.

BANG! LAN speed went to 4Gb and holds.