System Bottleneck?

I have a bottlenecking situation (I think) and I wanted to ask advice on what the best course of action is:

Spec:

Nforce Penyrn1600 650I SLI MOBO (non 2.0 pcie compliant)

Q6600 Intel Quad Core Processor

GTX 480 Graphic

HyperX DDR2 4gig Ram

Sata Harddrive 500gig

All drivers are up to date

I think it'll be that mobo because of the lack of PCIE 2.0 compliancy although it has 16x node. This leave me a conundrum, I can't afford new mobo + ddr3 Ram + new processor (though I will as a last resort).

Although the system is working fine, I have seen no performance increase from upgrading the graphics card to a gtx 480 from using my sli 8800gt configuration.

I was thinking the cheapest option would be a newer 775sk mobo (750i/780i/ASUS P5K SE/EPU) and then I wouldn't have to upgrade the processor & ram.

So in conclusion, would a new PCIE 2.0 (Minimum req of the gtx 480) mobo make the difference or am I flogging a dead horse and should I replace the lot.
8 answers Last reply
More about system bottleneck
  1. If your Q6600 is clocked at 2.4 you have your bottleneck right there. Have you tried overclocking (if your motherboard is able)?

http://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/NVIDIA/GTX_480_PCI-Express_Scaling/24.html

As you can see here a GTX 480 gets only a <=2% performance hit from an 8x 2.0 slot, which is the same bandwidth as your 16x 1.0 slot.
  2. I didn't overclock, though I have done (2.67). I thought the Q6600 was still quite capable if i'm honest.

I see what you're saying regarding the pcie slots though, is the pcie 2.0 slots just the case of more bandwidth over version 1.

I was amazed when I tesded the GTX 480 with WIC benchmark the FPS averaged at 25 at settings very high & 1920 x 1080, I could get this with 2 x gt8800

Something tells me I'm going to have to buy a mobo bundle.

With the overclocking, would you use the Ntune or

riva?
  3. Only 2.67 is not going to help. Getting a new mother board isn't gong to help. You'll truly need to get newer ( faster ) processors, mother board and ram..... i5-i7, etc. You have a high end card that is being held back by the rest of the system. If you can't make a substantial upgrade.... save your money until you can.
    The pci-e values........ not going to make a whole lot of noticeable difference if it's 1.0 - 2.0 - 16x - 8x......... big myth to get you to think what you have is useless.... it's called marketing. Next thing will be pci-e 3.0 and 2.0 can't be utilized yet.
  4. If I'm honest, I thought that would be the case.

What your saying is I'll be throwing goode money at a lost cause, looking back a gtx470 + new mobo bundle would have been the choice I think.

Nevermind, you live and you learn. Cheers guys!
  5. Oh by overclocking I meant your CPU. A Q6600 is still a very capable CPU but at 2.4 its age is beginning to show. You should see quite a performance increase if you can get to 3.2ghz+.

Also for overclocking the GPU I prefer rivatuner but that's because I use the On Screen Displays for fps/temp.
  6. daley said:
    If I'm honest, I thought that would be the case.

What your saying is I'll be throwing goode money at a lost cause, looking back a gtx470 + new mobo bundle would have been the choice I think.

Nevermind, you live and you learn. Cheers guys!

Don't kick yourself. In a short time you'll be able to build around the 480 and have a bitchin machine that will be useful for quite some time. Enjoy what you have and build on it.
  7. I couldn't just sit there and watch my new gtx480 underperform so I went with these:

Memory = OCZ Platinum 6 gb 1300mhz
    Mobo = ASUS P7P55D-E PRO
    CPU = Intel I5 750

Total £394

I’ll let whoever’s interested know how much extra performance I get.

At the moment with everything turned to full @ 1920 x 1080 I’m getting 28fps with Heavan v2.0
    FPS 27.4
    Score 690
  8. I hope you meant 4gig or 8gig not 6 or it won't run in dual channel mode. But anyways good for you..... "I couldn't just sit there and watch my new gtx480 underperform so I went with these:"....... made me laugh.
Ask a new question

Read More

Bottleneck Components