CPU upgrade with K9A Platinum Mobo (Help)

G

Hello all,

I currently have a K9A platinum mobo from MSI and I've had it for a while now. It's currently too costly to switch to a new mobo/CPU and buy the new DDR3 RAM so I'm looking into possibly upgrading my CPU.

Doing some googling, I found out that my motherboard is a Socket AM2 type, and that the AMD Phenom is supported with this motherboard. My question to you guys is, what is the highest-end processor available for this motherboard, that I could just install without buying other new parts?

I have a GTX280 card, with 4 gigs of DDR2 RAM and I think my AMD Athlon XP 5600+ is slowing me down. I also recently tried out Windows 7 Ultimate but I really don't like it. I think it's slowing down my games and I'm not really that interested in all the new "features" of it. I'm thinking 64-bit XP right now, as 7 is simply too slow and cumbersome. I really don't know what I'm going to do once XP becomes truly obselete but Vista was a disaster and 7 is only slightly better. Anyhow I'm trying to make this powerful for games, so keep that in mind, and let me know what you guys would recommend in terms of a new CPU.

Thanks much!

The cpu compatibility list on the MSI website does not list any phenom chips. However there was a bios update in feb of this year. The first since 2007. If that bios adds phenom support, then yesl. But are sure? If not, contact MSI and find out.

There is a Bios update that just says "Update CPU ID." which implies support for new models, but who knows. Best to contact support and ask them. Yeah, you're a bit overdue for a CPU upgrade :D. Have you tried overclocking your current CPU :eek: