Can i use fourth monitor on 9800gt(Dedicated for Physx) with ATI 5870

G

Hi Guyz,
I want to know that whether i can use the dedicated physx card for another monitor???
and please also give me your opinions regarding best Dedicated physx card among 9600gt, 9800gt or gts 250????

paperfox

Distinguished
Mar 1, 2009
Having two cards in your computer will allow you to have up to 5 monitors, in your case (3 for 5870 and 2 from other nvidia card). What I dont know is if you will be able to use those 2 monitors connected to the nvidia card while its being used as PhysX. (you might have to disable the 2 monitors before you are able to enable PhysX)

G

thanx 4 reply................what about 9800gt as physx because it is single slot video card thats why i m prefering it otherwise gts 250 is already in my option.
is there any card whose performance lie between 9800gt and gts 250???

JDocs

Distinguished
Apr 2, 2008
Bad news. PhysX won't work. NVidia PhysX-GPU drivers deactivate if a non-NVidia card is detected. This puts you right back onto running PhysX off your CPU.

However if its all NVidia cards then yes you should be able to use it for monitors as well. Both PhysX and the monitors are not likely to use the entire card so you should be fine.

except he could just use the 186.XX drivers which are plenty fine for PhysX on the G92 core
and then it would allow PhysX with ATI cards intsalled

@OP try it, it would be nice to know if you can do this or not

and thats with the newer 19X.XX drivers, the older 186.XX can't sense ati cards because that was before NV started doing this

also there are people who hack the newer drivers to take this code out, so again, it is possible if you look hard enough

Pailin

Distinguished
Dec 1, 2007
perhaps you should have read a little of the later posts in that 111 page thread started in July 2009...

"Interesting, prior to installing the gt220 and enabling physx on it with this mod I could only play it with the physics and post processing set to low and medium otherwise my fps dipped to unplayable levels." ...on a guys system whose main card is a 5870 ;)

oop - here we go, found the important part:

Linky - 3rd post down - Quoted part by GenL

I personaly am doing this. It works. You can setup a monitor on your dedicated physX card.

The down side is a small performance hit on fps. It seems to be about 0-2% at most in the games I saw benchmarks, so it's rather small. When physX is needed, it performs quite well. I also have a 9800gt, the downside is that card runs rather hot.

Here are a couple benchmarks to show the difference in 3dmark Vantage score.

Without dedicated physX card (the left and right are both without, but with different driver versions): http://img11.imageshack.us/img11/6674/vantagescoresnophysx.jpg

This is with the dedicated physX card: http://img85.imageshack.us/img85/2903/vantage1202010.jpg

JDocs

Distinguished
Apr 2, 2008
Ah so a hacked driver has been released that does work. I don't believe alot of what is said on forums about hacked drivers. To much junk on the web about that kind of thing.

Using the older drivers isn't really an option since games force you to install the newer PhysX drivers which in turn want the newer graphics drivers.

It's not the physX driver that disables physX when an ATi card is present. It's the video card driver that prevents you from enabling GPU accelerated physX within the Nvidia control panel when an ATi card is present.