Stuttering audio on M720-US3 win7, help.

Tsukikochan

Distinguished
Oct 5, 2010
hi,
I've done quite a bit of searching on the net for solving this issue and I need to ask others now for help.

Mobo: Gigabyte GA-M720-US3
Processor: AMD 64 X2 4800+
Mem: 4 gigs, DDR2 800mhz (can't remember what make/model)
Graphics: Radeon HD 4770 pci-e
Sound : Asus Xonar DX Pci-e (used onboard sound until the other day when i got this)
Harddrives: 2 sataII & 1 IDE drives

Problem: Audio stutters and struggles, it would be slow at one point and stop for brief milliseconds, or stutter.

I encountered this problem when i upgraded my motherboard to the model above and upgraded my OS from Vista64 to Win7-64. At first i thought i'd save money and use the onboard sound but i was getting the above with some bad distortion, so i decided to bite the bullet and buy a new soundcard. I was devastated that the stuttering persists, the sound being distorted and stretched out slower at times, its like momentary lapses in audio processing. This is affected in everything (winamp, video sounds, game sounds, etc). It mightn't be audio though, could be the processor or memory driving it or something..

I have tried different suggestions over time. like disabling the energy saving features of the processor, changing sata to/from ahcp and raid in bios, disabling system beep. I have run out of ideas and hope. At first i thought it was the onboard sound was broken but it was the same for a brand new xonar card too, so my guess it's something to do with the motherboard. drivers, processor or harddrive (i don't think its the memory or graphics, video seems to run fine and games run decently).

Please guys, can someone help?

Holly

Tsukikochan

Distinguished
Oct 5, 2010
I did that as one of the last things i did with my onboard sound. I have the onboard sound disabled for the past week, so I don't think it's to do with that.

I noticed last night though that the stuttering and distortions got worse when i was really pushing my pc. I closed down everything else other than winamp and things calmed (there was still stuttering but the distortions werent as bad).

Tsukikochan

Distinguished
Oct 5, 2010
Thanks for all the advice guys, i think i found the solution. I was pretty certain it had something to do with the processor or hard-drive freezing at certain points and i read somewhere that with these energy saver processors that they jump speeds at times and this causes bad glitching for some people. I went to check and seen that my processor fluctuated by 1-2mhz and i thought this was causing it, as it only seemed to change from 2499 to 2500-2501 mhz at the same time my audio got bad distortions.

Long story short, after some bios playing about and powersettings in windows, nothing changed: the freq still wasn't constant. So i figured something was making it do this, and i sorta figured that something in windows might be doing it. I realized that i had installed EasyTune from the disc i got with the motherboard and an uninstallation later everything seemed to be working fine :O I've been running audio from movies, games and mp3s since then and theres been no problems at all!!!! Easytune was the cause and problem the entire time >.<

Thanks again guys!