Sign in with
Your question

5xxx series grey screen issue not entirely ATI's fault

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
February 11, 2010 6:10:30 PM

When I tried to load up a game earlier this evening I nearly sh*t myself when the screen went all grey as soon as the game loaded.

Looking around on the internet I saw this was a well documented fault with no fix pinpointed! After trying 10.1 drivers up from 9.11 and trying the hotfix I thought I'd check out the updates that were installed last night (the last time it worked properly).

There were 4 security updates and one windows update listed as installed last night (Windows 7 Pro 32-bit) so I uninstalled them all and lo and behold, games work again!

It appears that ATI weren't just making things up when they said it was caused by a Windows update! It was for me at least!
February 11, 2010 8:37:20 PM

I think might be good to merge this thread or make it a sticky for a while since this would be very helpful for others who have this problem. I will keep this in mind if I ever do get lucky on a 5xx0 card in the future. Two thumbs up.
February 14, 2010 4:10:26 PM

mind telling me which updates? Im having sme problems myself. MS is starting to piss me off.
Related resources
Can't find your answer ? Ask !
February 16, 2010 1:13:32 AM

Same problem here. Last weeks' updates caused problems for me. I had to go in and restore to just before the updates. This has happened to me once before. First time was the group of Win 7 Silverlight and Windows Live updates. Did not play nice with ATI stuff.

February 16, 2010 2:10:22 AM

Hmm, I guess it is a good thing my PC isn't connected to the internet. What drivers are you using?

Edit, I think my Win7 is fully up to date, though I am still using the 9.12 Hotfix drivers (with no issues).
February 16, 2010 2:27:03 AM

ATI driver programmer -with Windows API
February 16, 2010 8:59:56 AM

nforce4max said:
I think might be good to merge this thread or make it a sticky for a while since this would be very helpful for others who have this problem. I will keep this in mind if I ever do get lucky on a 5xx0 card in the future. Two thumbs up.

Why?, According to the ATi faithful the problems were fixed two weeks after they were noticed.
February 16, 2010 10:58:37 AM

MM - Why would a mod make such an inflamatory statement, is there not enough toll bait in the gfx forums already?
February 16, 2010 11:26:43 AM

jibbermitch said:
MM - Why would a mod make such an inflamatory statement, is there not enough toll bait in the gfx forums already?

Because any time that I or anyone else have tried to point out that some people are having issues with the 5 series cards by linking to this kind of thread, we get this kind of response from Ati users who were making different noises but a short while ago.
February 16, 2010 11:56:46 AM

So you thought you would exacerbate the situation, nice going!
February 16, 2010 12:01:36 PM

I really wish ATI would just explain what a grey screen is a symptom of. I have only had one (and that was right before a crysis memory leak was about to crash my PC anyway) in my months of ownership. I have a feeling it may be a more complex mix of problems caused by various sources (rather than just a line of code saying grey screen = true).
February 16, 2010 12:01:54 PM

jibbermitch said:
So you thought you would exacerbate the situation, nice going!

So you think that pulling up all the threads that concern HD 5 series problems and merging them, wouldn't?
February 16, 2010 1:13:58 PM

Mousemonkey said:
Because any time that I or anyone else have tried to point out that some people are having issues with the 5 series cards by linking to this kind of thread, we get this kind of response from Ati users who were making different noises but a short while ago.

To be fair.. it sounds like you are comparing all folks that might have ATI at the moment to our resident ATI loon. Kind of a dick move :p . We don't need anyone to feed the ATI trolls, and we certainly don't need this place becoming as bad as anand's forums for the green vs red troll battles... "That person is a moron to one extreme so I can be a moron to the other" does not sit well with me...

It i all well and good that everyone has their preferred card... but it seems you go out of your way to contribute to the bait war mouse, you should know better than to try to argue with folks like that, and perhaps not get so on edge if someone wants to not buy a green card for whatever reason...
February 16, 2010 1:24:55 PM

There has been over 40 threads in the last two months about 5 series card issues most of which do not feature the loon but do have someone saying "I don't have a problem, must be something you've done" type responses.
February 16, 2010 1:37:24 PM

Mousemonkey said:
There has been over 40 threads in the last two months about 5 series card issues most of which do not feature the loon but do have someone saying "I don't have a problem, must be something you've done" type responses.

That is the same thing with anything though.. In case you didn't realize it, people are retarded tools.. In fact, I bet "I don't have a problem, must be your end" is probably the most common answer to any issues in any tech forum.. Not to say it is not a valid response often enough.

The point is though, this is an issues, ATI should be working on it.. End of story. Why does everything like this have to become a screaming match about how this is evidence of how Nvidia is better, only to make us wait in pent up excitement for nvidia to have a bug so we can read the same damn responses about how that is evidence ati is better... It is fcking retarded is all. This is evidence that one should be aware of to make a choice on cards, facts are facts, but enough of the spinning, makes most of us sick. Put in perspective it doesn't seem as common as the 2D bug the 5000 series has/had.

Want to make nvidia seem even better? Stop posting in response to ATI. Maybe if only one side has the raving tools they will be forced to shut up or ruin that companies reputation... As it is all I see are a bunch of equally biased fools that wear different coloured face paint, and it is getting worse around here.. though I suppose that is par for the course given the coming release of a late product.. wasn't much different when we were waiting for the 2900.
February 16, 2010 1:59:43 PM

I am just amused at the refusal by so many that there can be any problems at all with the 5 series as I have been seeing posts cropping up all over the place since day one and after four months there have been so many people with a mind boggling combination of hardware configurations all with similar or the same problems and the only common denominator is the 5 series card but even ATi/AMD up until a few weeks ago were saying "It's a Windows problem!" referring to a couple of updates which when uninstalled seemed to ease problems for some. If the Fermi based cards still have issues four or five months after their release then let me assure you, I shall be doing the same kind of pointing out.
February 16, 2010 2:06:00 PM

Mousemonkey said:
I am just amused at the refusal by so many that there can be any problems at all with the 5 series as I have been seeing posts cropping up all over the place since day one and after four months there have been so many people with a mind boggling combination of hardware configurations all with similar or the same problems and the only common denominator is the 5 series card but even ATi/AMD up until a few weeks ago were saying "It's a Windows problem!" referring to a couple of updates which when uninstalled seemed to ease problems for some. If the Fermi based cards still have issues four or five months after their release then let me assure you, I shall be doing the same kind of pointing out.

Lol, isn't everything a windows problem?

People can't admit their company is at fault.. no matter what.. No matter the brand, the issue, or the time, someone will defend it by pushing the issues onto something else.. and with windows having caused so many bugs in teh past it is an easy target.

Perhaps what I see as your nvidia bias is actually just deep seated sarcastic pessimism, lol.. we'll see ;) 

Though really, I'd gladly say that as soon as a company is fully honest with all of their issues I will give them all of my business regardless of price. Of course I'd gladly buy the toilet bowel that turns my crap into diamonds right along with it.
February 16, 2010 6:25:19 PM

Mousemonkey said:
So you think that pulling up all the threads that concern HD 5 series problems and merging them, wouldn't?

lol, no. What has that got to do with what I said?
I'm just pointing out that, as a mod or not tbh, you should try and avoid fanning the flames that all too often destroy another good thread. Keep the peace man :) 
February 16, 2010 7:19:47 PM

Hey guys! Did anybody pay attention to the OP's post and my post?

The OP did not describe the same symptons as all that other ATI issues. I didn't either. In fact if you take a look at the components in my sig you'll see I don't even have an ATI 5000 series card. Instead we both had problems immediately after downloading and installing last week's Windows updates.
February 16, 2010 7:34:57 PM

JohnnyLucky said:
Hey guys! Did anybody pay attention to the OP's post and my post?

The OP did not describe the same symptons as all that other ATI issues. I didn't either. In fact if you take a look at the components in my sig you'll see I don't even have an ATI 5000 series card. Instead we both had problems immediately after downloading and installing last week's Windows updates.

I first responded to the post by nforce4max
nforce4max said:

But as I've been following several threads where the updates have been uninstalled to no avail, I have my doubts as to that being the 'big fix'.

Some of the threads on this forum, check 'em out yourselves.

February 16, 2010 7:49:58 PM

I installed 10.1 and the hotfix a couple days after it was a news article here at Toms (just to give a timeframe). I have since then twice got the grey screen and "driver has stopped working and recovered". Both times when alt-tabbing out of a full screen game.

With 9.10 it happened so often I backed off to the beta 8.66 driver which only did it occasionally. 9.11 it happened less than 8.66, so it was an improvement.

My experience is the 10.1 hotfix is a lot better than any prior driver, but its still not perfect.

Unfortunately it doesnt matter if it is microsoft's fault, its an ATI product that is not working reliably so ATI needs to be actively persuing a resolution even if the solution is publicly proving and embarassing microsoft into fixing something in the OS.
!