HD sata II & sata III

makaveli2007

Distinguished
Sep 11, 2010
hi guys

i am about buying a new HD

my mobo's product page said it has sats II connectors : "6 x SATA 3Gb/s connectors supporting up to 6 SATA 3Gb/s devices"

my question is, does it mean that it only suuport's sata II (3 gb/s) , or it may written before sata III (6 gb/s) came out

and therfore it support it?

or maybe sata connector can degrade a sata III speed to sata II?

All SATA drives are backwards and forwards compatible. If you have SATA 1 HDD, and you only have a SATA 3 port, it will automatically use the "lower" speed. Likewise, if you have a SATA 3 SSD, and a SATA 2 port, it will "only" operate at the SATA 2 speed.

makaveli2007

Distinguished
Sep 11, 2010

hi

thanks 4 reply

just checked on wikipedia about sata , and they saied that

each sata version has its own kind port & cable

so i found it hard to match with your answer

Each version DOES need a different cable - However each cable is compatible with any of the ports. They are electrically the same.

Think of SATA 1 2 3 as kind of like USB. USB devices all work with 1 - 2 - 3 and backwards compatible.

You won't "DEGRADE" anything if you plug in a SATA 3 device into a SATA 2 port. The only "degradation" you will have is not getting the full bandwidth of a SATA 3 device on a SATA 2 port.

Just don't worry about it.

makaveli2007

Distinguished
Sep 11, 2010

ok

thank you for clarifying

D

Deleted member 217926

What Chainzsaw has said is correct. Your board has SATA 2 ( 3Gb/s ) ports. A SATA 1 ( 1.5Gb/s ) or even a SATA 3 ( 6GB/s ) device will work fine with your motherboard.

No mechanical hard drive can even saturate a SATA 2 port except in burst. So when you see a SATA 3 HDD it is for marketing only. The drive physically can not supply information fast enough to make use of the standard.

Only when dealing with SSDs do the faster ports start to matter.

D

Deleted member 217926

I use Blacks. The are the performance series while the Blue series is more a storage grade drive. Blacks also have a longer warranty.

makaveli2007

Distinguished
Sep 11, 2010

yes i want the black too

but right now because of lack of the HD's , not many are in my state ..

in if i found a few , they can be 2 times expensive than you would buy it

so as i think i may have to go with blue

also i thin due to the black drive's fast working it would have short life time

than the other green for example

any way would you recommand me on other HD brand i should check? , (i tend to stick with WD)

D

Deleted member 217926

Samsung Spinpoint F3 and Seagate Barracuda 7200.12 are also performance drives similar in speed to the WD blacks. They are also reliable. Before hard drive prices went crazy due to the flooding in Thailand the Spinpoint F3 was the drive I recommended most dut to the fact it was the cheapest and best bang for your buck.

D

Deleted member 217926

If you are in the US then shop around newegg, NCIX and microcenter maybe also try buy.com.

makaveli2007

Distinguished
Sep 11, 2010

hi anort3

thx 4 helpin me

finaly i bought cavair blue 500GB sata II 16MB

how do you recommand to partition it? using windows XP disk??

and do you think 100GB for system & the rest 400GB for stoarge ?

also i saw on the disk something about jumpers , its going like this:

"jumpered pins 3-4 enables PUIS, pins 5-6 limits PHY to 3Gbps"

what should i do or shouldnt do with it?

D

Deleted member 217926

I never partition hard drives. There is really no reason to, but you partition it however you want. I have also never used a jumper on a SATA drive. Just leave it at default. You do not need to jumper anything.

makaveli2007

Distinguished
Sep 11, 2010
hi guys iam installing the drive

i had a thread a tear ago: http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/forum/266112-14-sata-drives-recognized-problem

adressing AHCI mode ...

as you could see back than my OS was installed on IDE drive

now i want to install the new sata drive with the ACHI mode on...

but if you know about AHCI (or read the thread i opened back in the day , you

know that if you use windows xp you need to pres F6 key before windows instaling

and load AHCI drivers from a flopy drive....

and if you didnt do that you need to go through some hard regsitry hacking

i dont got flopy drive , can i install it from a USB drive/disk on key or from secondery CD-ROM???