New build... Converted from console gaming.

G

7/8 years ago I used to build computers but switched to console(xbox) due to the hassle but now I am back, I have been observing from afar and built this system by reading reviews/opinions on this site & now I would like your opinions please mainly regarding temps.

S1 gaming case
ASUS p8z77 V LX
I5 3570K @ 4.9 ghz(turbo boost) / 1.4V
16 gb ddr 1600 (kingston hyper X 4 x 4gb)
Evga GTX 660 TI 2gb 1190/1100
corsair cx750

Idle cpu temp is 32-35c and after playing battlefield 3 online @ MAX settings for 3 hours my cpu temp was at 82c

My question is how long can I expect the system to last before the cpu buckles? I was hoping for a minimum of 3 years, your opinions would be greatly appreciated as I am not an expert when it comes to temps and how they can affect the life of your cpu.

Kind regards, Paul.

p.s this is a gaming p.c and was made for that purpose only. I play games on average 2-5 hours per day, hope this information helps.

You can lower the voltage and speed for 4.5 ghz when gaming, you'll get same performance.
1.4v is the maximum and your risking it, and get a better cooler for that kind of oc like the noctua nh-d14 or termalright silver arrow.

G

thanks for the response I will take it into mind. Can I ask though what do you mean by risking it? My idea for this rig is no upgrades really so in 2-3 years time I will build another.

Do you think at 1.4v and @ 80-90c for 2-5 hours a day I could last 2-3 years? Thanks again.

But why such high voltage/speed and heat for a cooler that(although a decent one) it is not fit for that, when with lower voltage/speed like 4.5 ghz will get the same performance and less heat.
Or if you want to stay at that voltage/speeds get like i said a noctua d14 or silver arrow or better yet a watercooling system cause that temperatures are too high.

kyufaker

Honorable
Apr 17, 2012
in my opinion all that extra ghz doesn't really add anything performance wise... you would be better off with a better graphics card and a SSD... If your budget allows...

Crazy OCs and 90C operating temps is no go... when the CPU reaches its max temp it will reset to defaults and might damage ur components while at high temps... might happen for example during summer or when too much dust gathers... ( get filters for the intake fans btw, will help ur rig live longer and ensure positive air pressure in the case intakes > exhausts)...

I think 50-60c operational temps is safe for 2-3 years... crazy OCs like that should really be accompanied by custom watercooling... but as I said not much in terms of extra performance...

G

Thanks for your advice but I am very happy with the card and there aren't many better IMO. As for the cpu I have decided to lower it to a safer 4.7 ghz @ 1.27. I will still be able to max ANY game out at the moment no problem, although it felt good knowing I was running at 4.9 ghz but it was pointless I guess.

20 mins of battlefield 3 multiplayer = 64c thanks again.

azathoth

Distinguished
Jun 25, 2011
Thanks for your advice but I am very happy with the card and there aren't many better IMO. As for the cpu I have decided to lower it to a safer 4.7 ghz @ 1.27. I will still be able to max ANY game out at the moment no problem, although it felt good knowing I was running at 4.9 ghz but it was pointless I guess.

20 mins of battlefield 3 multiplayer = 64c thanks again.

There is always a certain point when overclocking, where a voltage wall is hit. To get any further gains in clock speed requires dumping voltage into the processor for minimal gain, as you had experienced yourself.

4.7Ghz seems to be the sweet spot for your processor, no need to go higher, and no danger is posed from passing that 'voltage wall'

200Mhz will go unnoticed, and the temperature drop will vastly prolong the life of the chip.

G

Seems like my theory of 'more ghz the better' was wrong and 4.7 ghz @ 1.27 is just as good if not better in terms of heat vs performance than 4.9 @ 1.4.

Thanks guys this forum has been great to me in the process of building my rig and now first hand I can see you have a great community.

Don't worry I won't disappear into the mist now I have the answers I came for I will visit the site daily and try to help anybody else witht he small amount of knowledge I have :)

thanks again.