Sign in with
Your question

Partitioning a WD HDD.

Last response: in Storage
March 1, 2012 6:35:27 PM

Right now I have a Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB hard drive that has 500GB of free space on it. I know how to partition a hard drive but I'm running into a problem. I've partitioned hard drives numerous times with no problems, but when I try to partition it I it says I only have 4.5GB of space available for partitioning. Any suggestions?

More about : partitioning hdd

a c 119 G Storage
March 1, 2012 6:41:23 PM

I'm thinking that it's because you currently have files on the drive and to be making partitions you should be doing it before there is any data loaded on to the drive? Does this drive also have windows on it?
m
l
March 1, 2012 7:27:26 PM

inzone said:
I'm thinking that it's because you currently have files on the drive and to be making partitions you should be doing it before there is any data loaded on to the drive? Does this drive also have windows on it?

I do have files on it, but not Windows. Windows is on my SSD boot drive. I've partitioned Hard Drives with data before but I don't understand this problem.
m
l
Related resources
a c 119 G Storage
March 1, 2012 7:40:22 PM

Then something is causing Windows to reserve 495.5gb of space. Are there any options to use when you try to set up your partitions? Are you doing this partitioning from disk management?
m
l
March 1, 2012 7:53:36 PM

I normally don't use disk management but I am on this computer, think that is the problem?
m
l
March 1, 2012 8:45:43 PM

Try Easus Partition Master. Google it. Although I think I partitioned my1TB HDD on Win7 install to make a C:/boot-Win 7 drive and a D:/ drive.
m
l
March 1, 2012 8:58:20 PM

Disk management won't let you modify an existing partition. You will either need to delete the existing partition and then re partition. Or use different software, as Delroy said above.
m
l
March 1, 2012 9:00:48 PM

aaab said:
Disk management won't let you modify an existing partition. You will either need to delete the existing partition and then re partition. Or use different software, as Delroy said above.

My D drive isn't partitioned, once I put it in my machine I never touched it. I'm trying EaseUs as I type this.
m
l
March 1, 2012 9:15:15 PM

bluedrago505 said:
My D drive isn't partitioned, once I put it in my machine I never touched it. I'm trying EaseUs as I type this.

Quote:
I do have files on it, but not Windows. Windows is on my SSD boot drive. I've partitioned Hard Drives with data before but I don't understand this problem.

If you have files on it, it has been partitioned.

Do you need the files on it? Right click on the drive and click delete partition.
m
l
March 1, 2012 9:18:25 PM

Are you serious? It just hit me, you said disk management doesn't let you modify existing partition.
m
l
March 1, 2012 9:25:46 PM

bluedrago505 said:
Are you serious? It just hit me, you said disk management doesn't let you modify existing partition.

Yep, I have never understood why this functionality hasn't been included in the windows disk management tool.

I guess for most people why would you want to modify an existing partition, but still...
m
l
March 1, 2012 9:27:58 PM

aaab said:
Yep, I have never understood why this functionality hasn't been included in the windows disk management tool.

I guess for most people why would you want to modify an existing partition, but still...

You can... I've done it before. At least on Windows 7 and Vista you can, I'm not sure about older versions.
m
l
March 1, 2012 9:50:06 PM

bluedrago505 said:
You can... I've done it before. At least on Windows 7 and Vista you can, I'm not sure about older versions.

You are corret! Sorry about that, I haven't done this in windows 7 before.

You will need to shrink the partition THEN create a new one.

Quote:
To get to this utility, open up Control Panel, and type in partition into the search box.. you’ll immediately see the link show up:

Shrink a Partition

In the Disk Management screen, just right-click on the partition that you want to shrink, and select “Shrink Volume” from the menu.

In the Shrink dialog, you will want to enter the amount you want to shrink by, not the new size. For example, if you want to shrink your 50gb partition by roughly 10gb so that it will now be roughly 40gb, enter 10000 into the box:

Once you have some unallocated space spare you will then be able to create a new partition :) 

Sorry about my ignorance of windows 7/ vista
m
l
March 1, 2012 11:23:13 PM

Like I said, I know how to use disk management and i've used it before but I still have the problem that it says I only have 4.5GB when I really have 500GB.
It's okay I don't expect everyone to know everything about Win 7/Vista
m
l
March 2, 2012 12:15:10 AM

That 4.5GB is the boot partition ONLY.
m
l
March 2, 2012 12:28:10 AM

DelroyMonjo said:
That 4.5GB is the boot partition ONLY.

I should have done this sooner, a picture should help.
m
l
a c 119 G Storage
March 2, 2012 4:27:02 AM

I would defrag the drive a few times to try and get all, of the files together , I believe your problem is that there are unmovable files in the way of you getting a proper size partition.
m
l
!