Sign in with
Your question

Ugh... Do I have a bad mobo, or...... (RAM/BIOS related)

Last response: in Motherboards
October 5, 2010 1:45:15 AM

Good evening,

I just put together a PC and I am having problems with all of the RAM not showing up.

I have a ASUS P6X58D Premium motherboard and I am using triple channel G.Skill Ripjaws 12GB for ram. RAM: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

The BIOS sees only 4GBs, Windows 7 Pro 64bit only sees 4GBs, but CPU-z sees 12GB.

The BIOS is the newest one available.

I have tested each individual DIMM in slot A1 and each DIMM boots the system fine, but when I take one DIMM and try out either B1 or C1 the system will not boot.
According to the motherboard's manual, "You may install one memory module in slot A1, B1, or C1 as a single-channel operation." Does that mean if I take one DIMM and put it in B1 (or C1) the system should still boot? Because it doesn't... If I only put one DIMM in either B1 or C1 the MemOK! light blinks and the system will not boot.

Since I know that each DIMM works (from testing them each in A1), does that mean my board needs to be RMAed?

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks.
Pent

EDIT IN: I just removed the RAM and CMOS battery for 40sec or so, and put everything back in and fired it up.

Now the BIOS is showing 8GBs or RAM. Still not the 12GBs I have installed, but better than the 4GBs it was showing earlier.

Anything else I could try?
a c 78 V Motherboard
October 5, 2010 2:06:41 AM

You may try contacting ASUS support to see if they have a fix. If not RMA it, your board's BIOS only sees 1 of your RAM sticks. Also read the board's reviews on newegg; many complaints of the board not seeing all the RAM.
m
l
October 5, 2010 2:45:22 AM

Updated post with new info.
m
l
Related resources
a c 78 V Motherboard
October 5, 2010 2:58:21 AM

pentupanger said:
Updated post with new info.

Have you checked the ASUS download site to see if there is an updated BIOS? I still believe you should contact ASUS support to see if they have a fix, or will authorize replacement. You board is not reading the 12GB RAM, and it should.
m
l
October 5, 2010 3:18:08 AM

treefrog07 said:
Have you checked the ASUS download site to see if there is an updated BIOS? I still believe you should contact ASUS support to see if they have a fix, or will authorize replacement. You board is not reading the 12GB RAM, and it should.

I have not looked at the download site. I used the CD the board came with to make sure my BIOS was up-to-date. I will check out the ASUS site to see if there is anything there to help.

I bought the mobo from Newegg, and it is still under their warranty so i would be RMAing it back to them if it came to that.

I just messed with the BIOS a little and figured out if I set the DRAM frequency to 1333 the bios only sees 4GB, but if i set it to 1066 it sees 8GB... the RAM is 1333. Tried other settings but couldn't get it to see 12GB.

Like I said, I will look at the ASUS site.
m
l
October 5, 2010 5:13:40 AM

its a sticky on the asus forum should help you solve this issue.
m
l
October 5, 2010 4:28:47 PM

wiro67 said:
its a sticky on the asus forum should help you solve this issue.

Yep!

Read through that and adjusted some things and now the bios and Windows sees all 12GBs of RAM.

Here is what I did:

Removed the mobo from the case.
Removed the aftermarket HSF and CPU.
Noticed the CPU socket had what looked like a slightly bent pin. Took a sharp knife and straightened it out.
Removed the thermal paste from the CPU and reseated in the socket.
Installed the stock HSF which had its own thermal paste already on it. (A question on this later)
Noticed there was a black rubber cover covering 4 pins near the 4-pin ATX plug-in I had been using.
Removed cover and plugged in an 8-pin ATX plug instead of the 4-pin I had been using.
Put everything back in the case.
Booted it up.
Win.

I never changed the voltages or anything for the RAM.

I did force the bios to use DRAM frequency 1333 (the RAM is 1333), because on Auto it was only doing 1066.

The PC doesn't have its normal GPU (EVGA 480 GTX) yet, and the case side is still open. Once it is closed I'll have a 200mm intake fan on the side blowing in.

I am not going to be overclocking anything.

The CPU is seeing temps of 48-49C at idle, is that OK? (Or do I need to clean off the stock paste and reapply Artic Silver?)

edit: SpeedFan says the CPU is running on average of 33.5C... but the bios says 48-49C. (Intel i7-950 Bloomfield 3.06GHz)
m
l
October 5, 2010 6:06:18 PM

good thing to see you got the memory issue solved

as to the temps just try a few programs that monitor it

everest (lavalys) http://www.lavalys.com/ is the one i use and the speedfan one

once the thermal paste settles it should be ok
m
l
a c 78 V Motherboard
October 5, 2010 7:55:50 PM

pentupanger said:

The CPU is seeing temps of 48-49C at idle, is that OK? (Or do I need to clean off the stock paste and reapply Artic Silver?)

edit: SpeedFan says the CPU is running on average of 33.5C... but the bios says 48-49C. (Intel i7-950 Bloomfield 3.06GHz)
AS5 should take you to 35C-42C, depending on the room's temperature. Clean the TIM from the HS and from the cpu using rubbing alcohol and coffee filter paper. Then apply the AS5 to a "haze" on both the cpu and HS. Then apply a drop AS5 the size of an uncooked grain of rice - not the size of a pea. Seat the HS. See what your temps are, and know that they will drop 2C to 6C as the AS5 gets "broken-in."
m
l
October 6, 2010 12:11:36 AM

treefrog07 said:
AS5 should take you to 35C-42C, depending on the room's temperature. Clean the TIM from the HS and from the cpu using rubbing alcohol and coffee filter paper. Then apply the AS5 to a "haze" on both the cpu and HS. Then apply a drop AS5 the size of an uncooked grain of rice - not the size of a pea. Seat the HS. See what your temps are, and know that they will drop 2C to 6C as the AS5 gets "broken-in."

I went ahead and took the HS back off and cleaned it and the CPU.

Applied some Artic Silver 5 ("AS5" just looks... bad... ;)  ) and stuck everything back together.

After about 20-30min of idling I took a look at the temps. (I know that isn't a long time, but it's about the same as I tested it before)

Bios says 37-38C.
SpeedFan says 30C.
SIW says 30C. (System Information for Windows)
m
l
October 6, 2010 4:46:01 AM

those temps are fine mine is 40C idle and about 46-48C on heavy load .

looking good now you can realy get the most out of your system

as5 in capitals looks bad indeed did not notice that :-p
m
l
a c 78 V Motherboard
October 6, 2010 12:38:59 PM

pentupanger said:

Applied some Artic Silver 5 ("AS5" just looks... bad... ;)  ) and stuck everything back together.

Quote:
as5 in capitals looks bad indeed did not notice that :-p
I've been using the abbreviation a while, but had not noticed the alternative reading!
m
l
!