Antec telling consumers to stay away from single rail PSUs?

Status
Not open for further replies.

amnotanoobie

Distinguished
Aug 27, 2006
Pure BS. OCP may not be provided with cheaper brands, but it sure as hell is provided with the well known better brands.

In fact all of the myths they listed there are in fact true for reputable brands. For el'cheapo, you get what you paid for.

If that is what they say, they are wrong. It is true in theory that multiple rails is a little safer, but it doesn't really translate into actual practice.

Fixed it.

The problem is that most "multi-rail" PSU's truly aren't.

I won't be giving up my Corsairs or multi-railed Antecs anytime soon.

cobot

Distinguished
Jun 15, 2008
Tsss, killed by a power supply? That's a bit silly. It's like saying it is dangerous to be within 100 yards from a railway, because a train MIGHT derail and hit you. Hey, it's happened in the past!!

leon2006

Distinguished
Its not the question of single rail or multi rail PSU. The currents (AMPS) the PC are operating with, any form of short-circuit will burn and trace or specific nodes inside an IC.

Shorts or overload on P55 sockets results to burnt pins/pads. Short on PCIE connectors result to burnt edge-connector.

The current level( AMPS) is high enough to burn the node where the short or overload occurs.

This is a form of mis-information drive that creates a certain level of fear for people who don't understand the details.

For practical purposes single rail design is the way to go. The electronic circuits today are well designed to take care of single rails 12V PSU condition that all loads are on the same electrical loop.

It eliminates mistakes in rail load distribution and management. Most PC techs/users don't have the knowledge to deal with this calculation.

Single Rail PSU is a PLUG and PLAY solution for PSU. No need to worry about load balancing on 12V rail. We pay good money for this branded PSU. The last thing we need is to worry about load balancing/distribution.

I Have 3 Antec PSU but my latest one is Corsair HX1000. Any new build(PC) will be another corsair HX850 or HX1000.

AMW1011

Distinguished
Yeah, I'm never going to give up on my single rail PSUs. Try powering multiple GTX 480s on a multi-rail PSU and you will end up rail balancing like crazy.

There is nothing wrong with either, but I just prefer single rails.

I don't agrre with what Antec has done, it's the same marketing BS that PCP&C used on thier Power Supply Myths Exposed page ( which was taken down some time ago ), but seriously " load balancing " ?
That's something that very few uber high end computer users would have to worry about.

Userremoved

Distinguished
Feb 27, 2010

So that's the main point? Rail balancing?

Well, in a way it can be.

THEORETICALLY, a mulirail cpu (which for the purposes of this example are capped at 18amps) would send less power through any given set of wiring or to any given component. A 70 amp single rail could in theory malfunction and blow 70amps at a component/wiring with disastrous consequences.

But like many other things, it works better in theory than reality.

Franson

Distinguished
May 1, 2010

ur falling for the same trick like every other guy.... OCP on the 3.3 and 5V rail but not on the 12V rail... but hey, no need to fully understand as long as you can brag about something on the internet :lol:

Userremoved

Distinguished
Feb 27, 2010

Hehe!
Your rite I don't understand PSUs that well but that still shows that Antec needs better marketing.

Christoph@ANTEC

Distinguished
May 3, 2010
Hi guys,

I am here to answer some questions... some of you might know me from AnandTech, where I was writing PSU reviews for the past couple of years. I am going to answer a few of your questions and hope you will read until the end! :sol:

So, where to start... first of all, it's easy to brag as someone before me said already. You need to understand the whole thing to get the picture. In most cases nobody really understands the issue with OCP. I mean we showed some video on our YouTube Channel about PSUs without OCP. There wasn't anything made up. You can see a motherboard frying up. We have more videos about this, different cases but all the same result about something burning up.

I am reading in more and more forums in Europe that people have melted wire isolations, connectors and other parts. This has only one reason: If you create short circuit in your system with a PSU that doesn't have OCP the current can flow unhindered through your system. Why some guys above say that it's made up? Guys... open your eyes. Without OCP the current flows and since the wires can only withstand a certain current they start getting hot and melt off their idolation, or the connector melts and so on... Just imagine you have a short circuit on the motherboard... you can see that in the video. Your components will be simply fried up. That has nothing to do with false panic or hyper-marketing, that has something to do with safety and us telling you about it.

You would feel good if you buy a car without airbags? Building a house without circuit breakers? It's exactly the same thing with OCP. You might never see an airbag, never break a fuse. That doesn't mean they are not there and IF you need them one day you are thankful that they actually have been there!! With 99 people it might be ok, they might bever have a problem so they won't need OCP on their 12V rails, but the one guy... the one guy who actually short circuits his system and fries up all of his components will be very unhappy about it, right? You wouldn't want to skip on an airbag either. So only because you never had a problem doesn't mean it's all perfectly safe.

And to make sure you understand, there is not any high-end single rail power supply (in the upper wattage range) that comes with OCP on the 12V rail. COmpanies writing this safety feature on their website write this because they have it on the 3.3V and 5V rail and want to trick the users, nothing else!

This myth-series is there to educate you, to teach people in a hopefully easy to understand way how the things work. There is simply no need for single rail power supplies (As always I mean single 12V rail with high amperage) today and in addition they are simply dangerous.

Think about it, I am here for Q&A :)

Christoph@ANTEC

Distinguished
May 3, 2010

Read correctly... There are enough companies that sell multi rail PSUs... not only Antec. :)

Eithelwulf

Distinguished
Nov 18, 2009
XFX have just launched the Black edition psu's the 850 is single rail. Your telling me they got it so wrong and its UNSAFE, im dam sure they have done there resarch and the product is critacaly acclaimed as one of the best on the market.

And as a bit of market resarch you can go back and tell your bosses you are looseimg my coustom on the psu as your CP series designed for my antec 1200 or 900 cases has not got ENOUGHT conectors by a long way http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/forum/forum2.php?config=tomshardwareuk.inc&cat=10&post=280920&page=1&p=1&sondage=0&owntopic=1&trash=0&trash_post=0&print=0&numreponse=0&quote_only=0&new=0&nojs=0

Status
Not open for further replies.