Cooling Corsair 650D

mrbowler

Honorable
Nov 28, 2012
Hi everyone. I am building a new gaming pc and am planning on getting the Corsair 650D. My questions have to do with the best way to cool the case. I was thinking of this setup:
Front: CoolerMaster Megaflow 200mm - intake
Top: Cooler Master Megaflow 200mm - exhaust (or two 120mm fans probably Noctua for exhaust)
Rear: Noctua 120mm fan - exhaust

Is this a good setup? Should I try something else? Thanks!

Solution

1.okay, you cannot add a cooler master megaflow in the front of the 650. its too thick. megaflows have a width of 30mm. you need a fan with a width of 25mm. You can fit the megaflow if you take out the top hard drive cage and move the bottom one a step down and to the left.

2.for the top just use a cooler master megaflow. no...

timarp000

Distinguished
Oct 24, 2011

1.okay, you cannot add a cooler master megaflow in the front of the 650. its too thick. megaflows have a width of 30mm. you need a fan with a width of 25mm. You can fit the megaflow if you take out the top hard drive cage and move the bottom one a step down and to the left.

2.for the top just use a cooler master megaflow. no problems.

3.for the rear add a Noctua NF-S12B FLX. its an airflow oriented fan unlike the nf-p12's(all equal) and nf-f12(static pressure). Its also quieter than the nf-p12's but not by much.

TIP: You can also consider a Corsair 500R instead of a 650D.
If you buy a 500R:-
1.Let the front 120mm be left alone. they are great.
2.Install 2 Noctua NF-S12B FLX's to the top and one at the rear.
3.Install Cooler master Megaflow to the side. Hook up the front 2 fans to the fan-controller. and connect the other fans stringht to the motherboards as the are dead silent.
3.keep the front 2 fans on low speed using the fan controller. and for the top 2 fans use the Low Noise Adapters that come with it.

Hope this helped! :D

Solution

ArmoredDragoon

Honorable
Jan 9, 2013
Adding two cents since this comes up as a high result in something else I'm looking at doing.

If you are so inclined, you can remove both hard disk caddies, and place the megaflow in front. This is exactly what I did, and it works fine. Bonus points because the front intake fan has zero obstructions, which is difficult to get with ANY case. No modifications necessary, just remove a few thumb screws.

I only have one SSD and one HDD. I mounted the middle caddy to the 5.25" bays and both disks reside in that. (I already use an external bay for my blu-ray drive before I got this setup - I have my optical drive sitting in a different place than my PC for functional reasons. Though I believe you can fit an optical drive in addition to one caddy, but I haven't checked.) Heat doesn't appear to be an issue at all for the disks.

I use a corsair H100i for my CPU cooling, and its radiator replaced the top 200mm fan. I use two Noctua NF-F12 fans on the radiator, blowing inward.

I'm debating whether or not I should get a third NF-F12 for the rear fan, mainly because I want the PWM function. I don't know the physics of static pressure so I am not sure if this is optimal (namely because it will be pushing against the grille.) The search for that landed me here.

My goal is to avoid manual fan control, and allow the system to automatically adjust based on heat output. Any suggestions?