Crucial Crucial 6GB DDR3 1333 with GA-X58A-UD3R

I would like to know how I can push the memory further, I had it default to 1066 originally when I installed it with 9-9-9-28 @ 1.5v now it is tightened to 8-8-8-24 at 1333 @ 1.6v and I have tried over and over to get it to 1600 or better with no luck. Any ideas?
10 answers Last reply
More about crucial crucial ddr3 1333 x58a ud3r
  1. Hi HugoDrax and welcome to Tom's forum.

Can u post the link of the RAM that u have?
  2. ^ so finally we're checking.

The simplest is to adjust your Memory Multiplier to 12 {Speed / BCLK}. However, if your Rated speed is exceeded by ~ +15-20% you will begin to have errors/BSOD/instability. 1333 MHz + 20% (~ 267 MHz) is that threshold.

Initially, I would try the stock CAS speeds, increase the Memory multiplier, and increase by +0.2 Volts. Next I would increase the BCLK from 133 to 160 and decrease the MM to 10, but still keep the CAS and increase by +0.2 Volts. Messing around with CAS can do more harm than good. BTW if you DDR has a poor heat spreader even if you can find a stable setting Prime95 may overheat the RAM -> unstable, and lets not forget Memtest86+.

Good Luck!
  3. If I'm right the stock specs for that RAM are: 7-7-7-21 @ 1.65v.
  4. Hey thanks a bunch for the welcome and the quick response! I am trying to get this ram to overclock so that I don't have to spend the cash on more expensive ram. The link to the ram I have is: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820148247&Tpk=crucial%20ddr3 Also, the motherboard I am using goes in even increments up to 1.64v it skips over 1.65v. The new i7 motherboard bios is far more confusing than the q6600 I replaced! Thanks again
  5. ^Again, since "OC RAM" is the topic at hand - KEEP the rated CAS and/or lower. The best & most stable performance improvements are via BCLK, and lastly increase the Voltage ONLY if needed. Anyone who knows RAM & RAM OC knows this off the top of their head w/o thinking. You will be tinkering with both CPU & RAM OC, and in my experience I first find a 100% stable CPU OC with RAM @ baseline {rated speeds/CAS/Voltage} and -> then tweak the RAM

In addition, to {check} the RAM OC isolate the CPU speed by beeping it the SAME {e.g. 133 X 20 = 2.66 GHz ; 160 X 17 = 2.72 GHz}, and run Super PI.
    Info - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Super_PI
    D/L - http://virgilioborges.com.br/hyperpi/

Good Luck!

Footnote - if you follow my advice you "may" be able to get 25~30% RAM OC. I've found 1333 ~ 20% and 1600 ~ 25% increases are "ideal." Heat is the enemy and poor/ineffective heat spreaders keep the "stable" RAM OC down.

edit:
    CT3KIT25664BA1339 9-9-9-24 @ 1.5V -> Keep those settings; since this DDR has NO heat sinks don't expect more than 1500-1600 MHz <or> aim a fan over the tops of the sticks.
  6. That RAM can hit the 1333 with 8-8-8-21 @ 1.5V or 8-8-8-24 @ 1.5V. Crucial is a very good OC RAM and those kit without heat sinks don't show the real power that they have.
  7. ^ First recommended both CAS + Voltage - but now lower - make up your mind?! I know I'm not clairvoyant.

@jaquith -> "KEEP the rated CAS and/or lower" & "lastly increase the Voltage ONLY if needed"

Voltage + Speed = Heat...no heatsinks...~+20%...going to get hot + unstable. The OP RAM isn't really a "good candidate" for OC, but I 100% confident that it can be OC - the "Question is how much?"

edit: OP needs a baseline first. Raising or lowering CAS need to b done last changes may increase or decrease performance.
  8. The baseline is the stock specs if the rig isn't stable with that specs maybe isn't stable with OC specs.
  9. HugoDrax said:
    ...push the memory further, I had it default to 1066 originally when I installed it with 9-9-9-28 @ 1.5v now it is tightened to 8-8-8-24 at 1333 @ 1.6v and I have tried over and over to get it to 1600 or better with no luck. Any ideas?

Yeah?! It isn't stable @ 1600 MHz with CAS + Volatges used.

And the "Idea" is to leave alone BOTH CAS + Voltages to get a baseline with the "Memory Multiplier to 12" as I posted 1st. Then "IF" needed mess around with the Voltages and "IF" you raise the CAS then you defeat the RAM OC.
  10. ^I agree with you (for 1st time I think).

Crucial is a very solid manufacturer but with change the CL and voltage sometimes isn't enough for stable RAM frequency more in a Gigabyte mobo.
Ask a new question

Read More

Memory DDR3 Crucial Product