HDD not found even with drivers

JPdub

Distinguished
Apr 26, 2011
I have a WD caviar blue drive, (wd5000aakx), I rma'd the first one because it could not be found in windows. The 2nd one was found, windows 7 auto installed the drivers, but its not available in my list of drives when I go to my computer, bios also does not recognize it either. however going control panel>device manager it is found. The properties tab says drivers are updated and it says the hdd is functioning properly. I also downloaded WD's diagnostic program and ran it, it located the new drive as well as my other drives and said they passed and are working properly. however in that program the new drive was listed in the "physycal drive" category, but not in the "logical drive" area. I used this same exact power supply and sata cable/port hours earlier on another WD hdd from one of my computers (wd5000aaks). it has worked fine for about a year, I purchased this new drive to replace it but I just cant get windows to fully recognize it. below is the link of the exact drive purchased. want to sort this out before I run out of time to rma this 2nd drive and maybe try a different brand/model. thanks.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822136769

i5-2500k
asrock p67 exteme 4

other drive is a 160g ocz agility ssd.

Paperdoc

Polypheme
Ambassador
My suspicion is that you have not done the steps ALWAYS needed with a brand new blank HDD to prepare it for use by Windows. They are to Create a Partition on it, and then Format that Partition. These steps often are combined into one process, and they are done through Windows' Disk Management.

For a complete explanation and procedure, read WyomingKnott's sticky at the top of the Storage ... General Discussion forums, here:

http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/265764-32-guide-installed-disk-system

Pay special attention to his Step Five. Note: in the LOWER RIGHT pane of Disk Management where you will be working, the list SCROLLS so you can see all the hardware drives in your system and find your new one.