Sett GPU fan at 100% .. good idea or not ?

Jrams116

Distinguished
Oct 16, 2009
I have a GTX 260 core 216 that I never overclocked, I heard it was a great overclocker so I want to push it to its limits, is setting the fan to run at 100% a good idea ? I want to run it at 685 core clock (stock is 576). Do you guys recommend this or not ? thanks alot !

notty22

Distinguished
I don't. In my experience vga coolers don't scale the same or have the same efficiency as cpu coolers. I would run something like a 3d demo/ benchmark and watch the fan characteristics. I did this with mine and I noticed under the heaviest use it would go up to 56% and bounce from 30 to 56%. So I set to constant 65, and I have had the best luck. I had strange results at a constant 100% various times testing .

How far you can push it just depends on your particular sample. Running the fan speed higher is a good idea in order to keep it from getting too hot. The hotter it is, the less efficient it is, and the faster it warms up. Of course, it's also going to be a be a bit louder. It's up to you.

matt23495

Distinguished
Apr 1, 2010
Hi, if i was you, depending on what brand of card (for example EVGA) i think that you should overclock it to the factory superclocked settings.. that way you won't burn your card and the fan should handle it perfectly without any heating.