Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

SP2 "digital signature" nags

Last response: in Windows XP
Share
Anonymous
November 7, 2004 6:18:05 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.configuration_manage,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.setup_deployment (More info?)

Since updating multiple XP (Home and Pro) to SP2 I have found myself
clicking away a handful of nag messages every day, stating that the programs
I wish to run do not contain digital signatures. I do use several open
source and freeware applications on a daily basis, and have no wish to quit
doing so.

Can anybody tell me, short of removing SP2, if (and if so, how) I can remove
these stupid messages once and for all?
Anonymous
November 7, 2004 6:18:06 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.configuration_manage,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.setup_deployment (More info?)

Right-click on MY COMPUTER and select:
Properties > Hardware (tab) > Driver Signing
and place a dot next to "Ignore - Install the software
anyway and don't ask for my approval" and click OK.

--
Carey Frisch
Microsoft MVP
Windows XP - Shell/User

Be Smart! Protect Your PC!
http://www.microsoft.com/athome/security/protect/defaul...

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"André Gulliksen" wrote:

| Since updating multiple XP (Home and Pro) to SP2 I have found myself
| clicking away a handful of nag messages every day, stating that the programs
| I wish to run do not contain digital signatures. I do use several open
| source and freeware applications on a daily basis, and have no wish to quit
| doing so.
|
| Can anybody tell me, short of removing SP2, if (and if so, how) I can remove
| these stupid messages once and for all?
Anonymous
November 7, 2004 6:58:52 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.configuration_manage,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.setup_deployment (More info?)

"Carey Frisch [MVP]" <cnfrisch@nospamgmail.com> skrev i melding
news:ek1FGZNxEHA.1984@TK2MSFTNGP14.phx.gbl...

[reformated]
> | Since updating multiple XP (Home and Pro) to SP2 I have found myself
> | clicking away a handful of nag messages every day, stating that the
> programs
> | I wish to run do not contain digital signatures. I do use several open
> | source and freeware applications on a daily basis, and have no wish to
> quit
> | doing so.
> |
> | Can anybody tell me, short of removing SP2, if (and if so, how) I can
> remove
> | these stupid messages once and for all?

> Right-click on MY COMPUTER and select:
> Properties > Hardware (tab) > Driver Signing
> and place a dot next to "Ignore - Install the software
> anyway and don't ask for my approval" and click OK.

I am talking about the nags I get when I run software, not when I install
drivers. Sorry if I was unclear about this.
Related resources
November 7, 2004 6:58:53 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.configuration_manage,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.setup_deployment (More info?)

Run gpedit.msc, and go to Local Computer Policy->User
Configuration->Administrative Templates->Windows
Components->Attachment Manager and enable "Default risk level for file
attachments", and then enable "Inclusion list for low risk file types"
and add to this list the file extensions that you want to open without
prompt





"André Gulliksen" <andre.gulliksen@start.no> wrote in message
news:2v6rfbF2j0t3iU1@uni-berlin.de...
> "Carey Frisch [MVP]" <cnfrisch@nospamgmail.com> skrev i melding
> news:ek1FGZNxEHA.1984@TK2MSFTNGP14.phx.gbl...
>
> [reformated]
>> | Since updating multiple XP (Home and Pro) to SP2 I have found myself
>> | clicking away a handful of nag messages every day, stating that the
>> programs
>> | I wish to run do not contain digital signatures. I do use several open
>> | source and freeware applications on a daily basis, and have no wish to
>> quit
>> | doing so.
>> |
>> | Can anybody tell me, short of removing SP2, if (and if so, how) I can
>> remove
>> | these stupid messages once and for all?
>
>> Right-click on MY COMPUTER and select:
>> Properties > Hardware (tab) > Driver Signing
>> and place a dot next to "Ignore - Install the software
>> anyway and don't ask for my approval" and click OK.
>
> I am talking about the nags I get when I run software, not when I install
> drivers. Sorry if I was unclear about this.
>
Anonymous
November 7, 2004 10:15:05 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.configuration_manage,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.setup_deployment (More info?)

"Ron" <ron@mail.com> skrev i melding
news:%23d6I1UPxEHA.1264@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl...
> Run gpedit.msc, and go to Local Computer Policy->User
> Configuration->Administrative Templates->Windows
> Components->Attachment Manager and enable "Default risk level for file
> attachments", and then enable "Inclusion list for low risk file types"
> and add to this list the file extensions that you want to open without
> prompt

I am running Windows XP Home Edition. I have no gpedit.msc.
Anonymous
November 7, 2004 10:40:53 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.configuration_manage,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.setup_deployment (More info?)

André Gulliksen wrote:
> "Ron" <ron@mail.com> skrev i melding
> news:%23d6I1UPxEHA.1264@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl...
>> Run gpedit.msc, and go to Local Computer Policy->User
>> Configuration->Administrative Templates->Windows
>> Components->Attachment Manager and enable "Default risk level for
>> file attachments", and then enable "Inclusion list for low risk file
>> types" and add to this list the file extensions that you want to
>> open without prompt

> I am running Windows XP Home Edition. I have no gpedit.msc.

OK, so I did what you suggested on a computer running XP Pro. And it worked.

But is there no way whatsoever to do anything similar on computers running
XP Home?
November 7, 2004 10:40:54 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.configuration_manage,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.setup_deployment (More info?)

On Sun, 7 Nov 2004 19:40:53 +0100, "André Gulliksen"
<andre.gulliksen@start.no> wrote:

>André Gulliksen wrote:
>> "Ron" <ron@mail.com> skrev i melding
>> news:%23d6I1UPxEHA.1264@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl...
>>> Run gpedit.msc, and go to Local Computer Policy->User
>>> Configuration->Administrative Templates->Windows
>>> Components->Attachment Manager and enable "Default risk level for
>>> file attachments", and then enable "Inclusion list for low risk file
>>> types" and add to this list the file extensions that you want to
>>> open without prompt
>
>> I am running Windows XP Home Edition. I have no gpedit.msc.
>
>OK, so I did what you suggested on a computer running XP Pro. And it worked.
>
>But is there no way whatsoever to do anything similar on computers running
>XP Home?

Hello Andre:

You can copy the gpedit program to your home edition. Do this:

To use the Group Policy editor on XP Home, you need a licensed copy of
XP Professional.

Copy the files gpedit.dll, gpedit.msc, and fde.dll from
\WINDOWS\System32 on the
XP Pro machine to \WINDOWS\System32 on the XP Home machine.

From a command prompt issue the following commands on the XP Home
machine:

regsvr32 C:\WINDOWS\System32\gpedit.dll
regsvr32 C:\WINDOWS\System32\fde.dll

Open the Microsoft Management Console (mmc.exe) and select
File->Add/Remove Snap-in... Then click Add. Select the Group Policy
snap-in from the list of installed snap ins.

You can now edit the Group Policy on the local machine. But XP Home
doesn't support the same feature set as XP Pro, so the policies you
are looking for might be missing.

The last part of the above procedure is important to note as not all
policies are supported in the Home Edition of XP. But you can
certainly try - nothing to lose but some time.

Regards.
Anonymous
November 11, 2004 7:49:56 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.configuration_manage,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.setup_deployment (More info?)

>
> You can copy the gpedit program to your home edition. Do this:
>
> To use the Group Policy editor on XP Home, you need a licensed copy of
> XP Professional.
>
> Copy the files gpedit.dll, gpedit.msc, and fde.dll from
> \WINDOWS\System32 on the
> XP Pro machine to \WINDOWS\System32 on the XP Home machine.
>
> From a command prompt issue the following commands on the XP Home
> machine:
>
> regsvr32 C:\WINDOWS\System32\gpedit.dll
> regsvr32 C:\WINDOWS\System32\fde.dll
>
> Open the Microsoft Management Console (mmc.exe) and select
> File->Add/Remove Snap-in... Then click Add. Select the Group Policy
> snap-in from the list of installed snap ins.
>
> You can now edit the Group Policy on the local machine. But XP Home
> doesn't support the same feature set as XP Pro, so the policies you
> are looking for might be missing.
>
> The last part of the above procedure is important to note as not all
> policies are supported in the Home Edition of XP. But you can
> certainly try - nothing to lose but some time.
>
> Regards.


Boy, you're right about all policies not being supported!!!

I copied my gpedit, etc. from my office computer with xp pro to my
home computer with xp home edition, per your instructions, and about
the only thing I can manipulate is Windows Explorer.

My main reason for wanting to do this was to control the recent
documents menu on the start menu. I successfully eliminated the recent
documents menu from my start menus on two computers at work with xp
pro, and there are tons of other options I could have gone with, too.
The home gpedit program is limited beyond use. Oh well, you said it
would happen.

Thanks anyway,

GS
Anonymous
November 14, 2004 5:53:28 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.configuration_manage,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.setup_deployment (More info?)

greensteak@aol.com (greensteak) wrote in
news:30be7e7c.0411110449.29572071@posting.google.com:

>>
SNIP
>
> Boy, you're right about all policies not being supported!!!
>
> I copied my gpedit, etc. from my office computer with xp pro to my
> home computer with xp home edition, per your instructions, and
about
> the only thing I can manipulate is Windows Explorer.
>
> My main reason for wanting to do this was to control the recent
> documents menu on the start menu. I successfully eliminated the
recent
> documents menu from my start menus on two computers at work with
xp
> pro, and there are tons of other options I could have gone with,
too.
> The home gpedit program is limited beyond use. Oh well, you said
it
> would happen.
>
> Thanks anyway,
>
> GS


What did you want to do with your "recent documents list"?? Did you
want
to clean them so that they contained a blank list?? If that was your
purpose, then go to Microsoft's web and search on "tweak" when you
get
it to the machine, install it, open the control panel, click on
parinoia, check "clear list on logon" This will work for the user
that
logs on ONLY, I think. You may need to do it for each user that logs
onto the pc, or you may need only do it on the local administrator
account to clear everyones... you will need to experiment on that.
--
Papa GeorgeDidIt

I use GigaNews

For some interesting reading try the FAQ:
http://www.geocities.com/abcdgenealogy/
Anonymous
November 16, 2004 12:08:06 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.configuration_manage,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.setup_deployment (More info?)

GeorgeDidIt <Tiredd2001@yahoo.com> wrote in message news:<Xns95A15AABFDBA1Tiredd2001yahoocom@204.127.199.17>...
> greensteak@aol.com (greensteak) wrote in
> news:30be7e7c.0411110449.29572071@posting.google.com:
>
> >>
> SNIP
> >
> > Boy, you're right about all policies not being supported!!!
> >
> > I copied my gpedit, etc. from my office computer with xp pro to my
> > home computer with xp home edition, per your instructions, and
> about
> > the only thing I can manipulate is Windows Explorer.
> >
> > My main reason for wanting to do this was to control the recent
> > documents menu on the start menu. I successfully eliminated the
> recent
> > documents menu from my start menus on two computers at work with
> xp
> > pro, and there are tons of other options I could have gone with,
> too.
> > The home gpedit program is limited beyond use. Oh well, you said
> it
> > would happen.
> >
> > Thanks anyway,
> >
> > GS
>
>
> What did you want to do with your "recent documents list"?? Did you
> want
> to clean them so that they contained a blank list?? If that was your
> purpose, then go to Microsoft's web and search on "tweak" when you
> get
> it to the machine, install it, open the control panel, click on
> parinoia, check "clear list on logon" This will work for the user
> that
> logs on ONLY, I think. You may need to do it for each user that logs
> onto the pc, or you may need only do it on the local administrator
> account to clear everyones... you will need to experiment on that.

I don't want the recent documents list on the start menu. With xp pro,
it's easy using gpedit. Won't work with xp home. Gpedit is too
diluted.

From what I've seen at the Microsoft site, to accomplish this using
other methods is somewhat timely and involves manually editing the
registry. This seems unnecessary because, as I said with xp pro,
there's an easy way to do it which only involves checking a box. No
restarts, no extra backing up, no risk.

If it can't be done in xp home any easier than that, then I'll just
check the "clear recent docs" before I log off using the right click
start menu method.

GS
!