New watercooling parts. Rinse required?

Status
Not open for further replies.

o320

Distinguished
Jan 14, 2011
Hey guys, it's my first attempt at watercooling and my parts will be arriving sometime this week!
Do you guys suggest rinsing out the parts with water? (Radiators and waterblocks basically)
Hope to hear from you guys soon!
Thank you!

Solution
I use a 90/10 mix of distilled and white vinegar to rinse and subsequently flush my loop,
but bottom line is yes, clear all the crap out of the rads that you can, blocks may have tiny residues but nowhere near the amount of crud that sits in the rads
use boiled, not boiling, boiled water to fill the rad 4/5 and thumb over the ports, shake like a mofo for five minutes and drain, fill 1-2/5 and repeat, do those steps twice then fill 100% full, shake and drain, rinse with distilled and leave to dry,
don't block the ports with tissue etc as that leaves the moisture in there instead of letting it evaporate into the room, it can rot your rad worse than if you hadn't flushed it :p
Moto
Yep, a quick rinse will get rid of any dust/flux/solder that may have gotten in the component during manufacturing. I personally just heated up some water (not boiling), poured into the block/radiator and shook it around a bit. Rinse and repeat a few times and should be fairly clean.

You can also make a solution with vinegar to get a better clean, but I'm not sure on the mixture so I wont advise that.

I use a 90/10 mix of distilled and white vinegar to rinse and subsequently flush my loop,
but bottom line is yes, clear all the crap out of the rads that you can, blocks may have tiny residues but nowhere near the amount of crud that sits in the rads
use boiled, not boiling, boiled water to fill the rad 4/5 and thumb over the ports, shake like a mofo for five minutes and drain, fill 1-2/5 and repeat, do those steps twice then fill 100% full, shake and drain, rinse with distilled and leave to dry,
don't block the ports with tissue etc as that leaves the moisture in there instead of letting it evaporate into the room, it can rot your rad worse than if you hadn't flushed it :p
Moto

Solution

rubix_1011

Contributing Writer
I use a 50/50 of vinegar for my blocks to soak and usually just a lot of rinsing with hot water on my rads. However, with new rads, you will likely want to consider doing a soak with vinegar/water as well. I've done the following with a couple other builds that works pretty well:

Fill rads with 50/50 or 40/60 vinegar/water (hot if possible).

Place into a bathtub or plastic tub with enough room on all sides of the rads, fill with hot water (hot as possible) until almost covering. You don't want the water to enter the I/O ports- it's mainly to keep heat on the rads during the vinegar soak without diluting the solution inside. Rinse, repeat 1-2x. It does help to get some of the gunk out...and in between I've also used a little bit of laundry detergent to break up some of the oily residue as well - just add a teaspoon and fill halfway with water...shake, shake, shake. Make sure you rinse really well between all steps of this process.

Status
Not open for further replies.