What is Overclocking??

AmaanK

Distinguished
Nov 29, 2012
Hiiii.....I am quite new to these things.
SO
My question is

WHAT IS OVERCLOCKING?? WHAT DOES IT DO ?? ANY ADVANTAGES FOR GAMING ??

Thank You!!

Solution
G
Overclocking in simple terms is pushing your hardware past the default setting. Yes it can improve gaming but as I have myself just learned once you get over a certain speed ( 4 ghz ish ) I do not believe it makes much impact.

overclocking isn't to be taken lightly you need to know the limit of your hardware and be sure to watch out for over-volting and hardware temps.

I am sure somebody else will reply with a much better answer but this is the best way I could explain it to somebody new.

Hope it helps.
G

Overclocking in simple terms is pushing your hardware past the default setting. Yes it can improve gaming but as I have myself just learned once you get over a certain speed ( 4 ghz ish ) I do not believe it makes much impact.

overclocking isn't to be taken lightly you need to know the limit of your hardware and be sure to watch out for over-volting and hardware temps.

I am sure somebody else will reply with a much better answer but this is the best way I could explain it to somebody new.

Hope it helps.

Solution
G

Also a good cooling solution is needed for overclocking and most people won't recommend it unless you have adequate cooling and in 90% of people's eyes you shouldn't do it on stock cooling and should purchase a named branded one instead.

Here's how Wikipedia describes overclocking
"Overclocking is the process of making a computer or component operate faster than the clock frequency specified by the manufacturer by modifying system parameters. One of the most important techniques is running at a higher clock rate (more clock cycles per second; hence the name "overclocking"), but other parameters, such as CPU multiplier and memory timings, can also be changed and would be considered to be overclocking. Operating voltages may also be changed (increased), which can increase the speed at which operation remains stable. Most overclocking techniques increase power consumption, generating more heat, which must be dispersed if the chip is to remain operational."
There's more, found here http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Overclocking
Happy reading

AmaanK

Distinguished
Nov 29, 2012
I made up a rig..........

CPU-Intel i5 3450 3.1Ghz
Mobo-ASRock Z77 Extreme3
GPU-ATI Radeon 7770 1GB GDDR5
RAM: G.Skill RipjawsX DDR3 8 GB (2 x 4 GB) PC RAM (F3-12800CL9D-8GBXL)
PSU: Corsair CMPSU-600GUK 600 Watts PSU

My CPU is not overclockable....and i dont think i am going to need to....bcz i can run games like Crysis 2,COD:Black ops 2,Split Second,GTA4 at high settings according to Game-debate...

Should I buy a cooler or the stock fan of the processor is fine???

Thanks