P5qpl-am 3 beeps

roasted3

Distinguished
Oct 5, 2010
hi got this motherboard . i have put a e2160 cpu in it and one gb of ram.
i get 3 beeps , continuously nothing shows on my monitor . i get the 3 beeps no matter if i have the ram installed or not . im a bit stumped as from what i can gather the beep code means no vid input . i have tried it with a pci vid card and with the onboard vid . anyone have any idears or experince with this board p5qpl-am. thanks.

roasted3

Distinguished
Oct 5, 2010
i found this on another forum .

HI
I have a customer who brought me computer for repair with intemitent boot problems, the conclusion was that the motherboard was faulty. I replaced the mother with an Asus P5QPL-AM, but when booting the machine fails to POST and gives the repeated beep code 1 long, 2 short. Which from my research states a video problem, the board has intergrated graphics and is brand new.

I suspect this could be a memory issue as i have only tried the new board with the customers old ram which is rated at 533mhz and the lowest the board supports is 667mhz. But as the board is not producing a memory beep code i'm a bit suspicious.

the memory that im useing is 533mhz also and as stated above the lowest supported is 667mhz ... only problem is the above quote the website that it came from , you have to pay to see what the answer was .

http://www.experts-exchange.com/Hardware/Components/Motherboards/Q_24952077.html

im debating on getting a supported ram from the manual vendors list . just wondering if this is the problem. any insight from the people in the know would be much apreciated thanks.

roasted3

Distinguished
Oct 5, 2010
i have ordered some 667mhz ram . so i;ll update this post when it comes , its just a shame i dont know anyone with some 667mhz ram to have tried it first before buying the ram . thanks for the reply mate.

roasted3

Distinguished
Oct 5, 2010
quick update put a kingston 1gb ddr2 667mhz stick of ram into the mobo and all works fine. so if anyone has a similar problem, make sure you check your ram , as stated above the p5qpl-am only takes a minimum of 677mhz freq ram upto 1066mhz so no drr2 533mhz .. as the error beep codes are a bit confusing when you have a 533mhz stick of ram in . as it gives 3 beep codes, and on the net most places read 3 beep codes as being no video , so check your ram freq first,

G

i have the same problem..i bought the same board..and now upgraded my ram to a kingston 1gb 800mhz(single stick)..it still produces the beep codes..one short and after a while a long beep i guess..dont know whats causing it..bothe the board and ram are brand new..and my cpu is core2duo e6300 which is well supported by the board..my monitor just keeps blinking and system keeps running but no display. anyone?

roasted3

Distinguished
Oct 5, 2010
have you got the extra 4 pins plugged in .. ie this board has 24 pins main power . and also the 4 pin socket by the cpu .. all these need to be plugged in .... if you have got a graph card plugged in , then unplugged it and try it via onboard graphics... other than that im not sure .... also is the memory you put in, is it on the vendor list as i made sure i got a stick of ram off the vendor list on the manual .. but ddr2 800mhz should be fine .. but sometimes if its not on the vendor list then sometimes it dont work.

G

thanks for the information. now it works with igp. but why does this happen in asus board? my psu is corsair 400w. isnt that enough to run all these components?the psu has a pci-e power connector. but the board does not have the pci-e power connector. so how to run my graphic card? do i have to upgrade my psu too?

EllieReddish

Distinguished
Oct 16, 2010
I just had the same problem. Mine was a rookie mistake *blush*. The three beeps is normally a BIOS code for a main memory read / write test error. I had installed the memory sticks TOO GENTLY. I was able to latch the clips but had not pushed the memory down all the way in.