Samsung 830 128GB detected as Sata1 (1.5G) drive

kosecki

Honorable
Mar 2, 2012
Hi all,

yesterday I got my brand new Samsung 830 128GB for my desktop pc. Pc is built on Gigabyte MA770-UD3 (with AMD770 chipset and SB710 southbridge). So far I was using Samsung SpintPoint F1 1TB (HD103UJ) and Seagate 7200.11 500GB. Both disk are properly detected as 3G (Samsung) and 1.5G (Seagate). My problem is that Samsung SSD is also detected as 1.5G (Sata-1) drive while 3G is expected instead.
Windows 7 installation went ok but benchmark results are disappointing (expected on 1.5G connection). CrystalDiskMark ran shows around 50% of what can be expected from this SSD.

I've tried every single BIOS version from Gigabyte site without result, SSD sticked to 1.5G mode.

Does anyone has similar problem on AMD770 chipset boards and Sata-3 drive ? Or maybe it's Samsung 830 issue ?

If your drive is connected to ports SATA2_0 thru SATA2_3 the OnChip SATA Type in your BIOS should be set to AHCI (page 48 of your motherboard manual).

If your drive is connected to ports SATA2_4 or SATA2_5 the OnChip SATA Type should be set to AHCI and the OnChip SATA Port4/5 Mode should be set to As SATA Type.

If your BIOS is already configured correctly then try updating your chipset drivers.
Here's the link to the latest AMD drivers: http://support.amd.com/us/gpudownload/windows/Pages/raid_windows.aspx

kosecki

Honorable
Mar 2, 2012
Thanks,

I've tried all ports. Sure I have AHCI mode selected and "As SATA Type". Also I'm testing using latest 12.1 drivers from AMD.

btw: Can system drivers change anything if HDD has been detected in bios as 1.5G?

badmana

Honorable
Mar 17, 2012
I'm got the same problem. The weird thing is, 2 HDDs are detected as SATA 2 and my SSD and a 1.5 TB HDD (a Seagate 7200.11 ST31500341AS) are being detected as 1.5G (SATA1). All my drives are SATA2 drives and the SSD is a SATA 3 drive.

I have the exact same board (GA-Ma770 UD3 Rev 1).

I've swapped cables and SATA positions (the SSD is in SATA2_0) with no effect. The 2 SATA2 drives are still being reported properly where ever I place them.

I've sent Gigabyte an email regarding this.

kosecki

Honorable
Mar 2, 2012

I just sold this mobo. Couldn't find the way to use SSD with SATA-2. Good luck.

badmana

Honorable
Mar 17, 2012

Yeah, no luck here either. I even bought a '6 GB' sata cable in case the ones that came with the board were bad and didn't make a different. Kinda upset Gigabyte's SATA 2 isn't really a SATA 2. The SSD was tested in my laptop and detected as a SATA 2 so it's not defective.

I'm in the process right now of picking out a new system. Probably a P8Z68-PRO with an i7 2600k so I can get the most out of my Sandisk extreme 120.

kosecki

Honorable
Mar 2, 2012

Who knows where is the problem. Regular SATA-2 HDD were working fine with Gigabyte mobo and been detected as SATA-2. Also I do think that Gigabyte has nothing to do with it because it's AMD 770 chipset (used on this mobo) issue. Possibly others vendors mobos based on 770 has the same issue.

badmana

Honorable
Mar 17, 2012
Actually, I'm very confused. I tested the SSD with a benchmark program and it reports 250 MB/s read and 150 mb/s write. Better than SATA 1 speeds (although still fairly well below the 300 MB/s max).

kaizer9911

Honorable
May 20, 2012
Came across this thread when I found my Gigabyte motherboard was reporting my Samsung 830 512GB as 1.5G.

My motherboard is GA-MA790XT-UD4P latest bios (F8) - AMD 790X chipset and I updated the AMD SATA AHCI drivers to the latest available from AMD. BIOS is set to AHCI.

Strangely, I ran ATTO desk benchmark and I had maximum 250 MB/s write, 275 MB/s which is well over SATA 1.5 spec and within the realistic transfer rates for SATA 2. So I guess the bios reporting the disk as 1.5G was just a red herring.

Can't say whether it's a problem with Gigabyte/AMD or Samsung, but I'll be upgrading to IVY Bridge this year anyway with an ASUS board so this issue will go away then. :)

badmana

Honorable
Mar 17, 2012
Just a bit of an update. I got a response from Gigabyte and given a bios update which no longer reported the sata detection list. The speed didn't change though when I ran my SSD benchmark.

3 weeks ago I picked up a 3770k with an Asus p8z77 deluxe and my SSD is now flying.

Reds Green

Honorable
Oct 16, 2012
I have the same problem - Gigabyte GA-MA770-UD3 v1 motherboard BIOS version F9G and a OCZ Vertex 3 120GB Solid State Drive firmware 2.25 - Motherboard BIOS reports AHCI hard disk drives as SATA 3GB and OCZ SSD as SATA 1.5GB. The BIOS and SSD firmware versions are the latest available. I've swapped cables and SATA ports, the problem follows the drive. I suspect the drive is NOT the faulty component here, since the posts earlier in this thread conclude the same problem with a different SSD brand. It must be the motherboard BIOS... and given that badmana received a BIOS update from Gigabyte which simply suppresses the AHCI status during POST tells me the problem is in Gigabyte's lap. Hopefully Gigabyte will invest resources into BIOS development for their legacy motherboards, SSDs are here to stay as a way to renew these older computers so support from Gigabyte is critical.

This is an old thread. You would have been better off starting a new thread.

You have an old motherboard that is no longer in production. At the time the motherboard was designed there were no modern SATA 3 6Gb/s solid state drives. The motherboard does not properly support modern SATA 3 6Gb/s solid state drives. This is a known issue with older AMD 7XX based motherboards. As you can see from badmana's last post the solution is to upgrade to a modern motherboard that can properly support new ssd's.