Sign in with
Your question

I5-750 Build comments/suggestions?

Last response: in Systems
February 21, 2010 4:10:26 PM

Would like to make a i5-750 build just wanted some feed back. The list below is what I had in mind. any comments or suggestions would help. wanted to know if anything might be overkill. anything that would save some cash, but not really a concern. would all the parts play well together; compatible?

I just want a rig to play games such as D3 (when ever that will be) and to just surf the web just general use. I don't do anything crazy like rendering and don't really need an excessive amount of storage. OC and crossfire/SLI I would like to have open for the future. Would like to have, for now, just a single GPU (want a best though) but as said open option for duel'ies. Resolution will be 1920x1080.

CPU: i5-750

MOBO: Gigabyte GA-P55-USB3 (This I am unsure about)

Case: CoolMaster HAF 922 (Too much?)

GPU: Sapphier Radeon 5850 1gb 256-bit

PSU: Corsair CMPSU - 750TX 750W ATX12v (less maybe?)

HDD: WestDigi Caviar Black 750GB 72000rpm (may be lil much, 500GB?)

RAM: Gskill RipJaw 4gb / 2x 2gb 240pin ddr3 1600 PC3 12800 (Compatible?)

HS: CoolMaster Hyper 212

So far from "The EGG" all this could be mine at a low low price of $1092.00 US that is not including monitor/CD-blue ray drive/ keyboard/mouse and OS (which will be W7 64bit) but you get the idea. And most likely not all parts would be purchased from EGG.
February 21, 2010 4:27:02 PM

that case is a good choice, but if you feel like it might be too much then i would suggest the cooler master cm690 II. i have an almost identical system to yours, my i5 is running at 3.8 and my cm690 keeps everything nice and cool.

here's the case

February 21, 2010 4:34:20 PM

looks like that CM690 II has slightly smaller fans..but the photos look like it has side panel fan mounts.
Related resources
February 21, 2010 4:40:26 PM

even under heavy gaming my OC'd 5850 never goes over like 64ish. it may have smaller fans but unless you're going for extreme video card/cpu overclock the cooling will be more than adequate. i don't even have any extra fans installed other than the ones that came with the case.
February 21, 2010 4:41:07 PM

The board you have has the second PCI e slot running at 4x so it doesn't crossfire well. You will want a GIGABYTE GA-P55A-UD4P, which has dual x8 lanes if you want to crossfire in the future

Get a Samsung F3 or Seagate 7200.12. They are the best HDDs you can get right now (best read/write times)
February 21, 2010 6:25:39 PM

ah that is very helpful tserich, thank you. I will look further into that. whatelsematters thank you as well. any ideas about the RAM or is that fine?
February 21, 2010 8:30:10 PM

rza said:
ah that is very helpful tserich, thank you. I will look further into that. whatelsematters thank you as well. any ideas about the RAM or is that fine?

Your ram should be compatible, but without an actual link we can not say, or offer advice to possible other kits for you to use instead, maybe with better timings or price.

The HAF 922 is a great case, only let down by no dust filters, some others you might consider at that price range (with dust filters)

Cooler Master 690 II Advanced

Lian Li Lancool K58

Lian Li Lancool K62

February 21, 2010 8:49:47 PM

Im starting to like that 690 II, any other MOBO suggestions? say if i didn't want to crossfire/sli any MOBO that stand out for single GPU?
February 21, 2010 8:53:05 PM

I second the suggestion about the Lancool cases. My personal choice would be the K60, because it doesn't have a window (my preference) but it does include the same cooling system as the K62. The amount of features packed into this case is awesome, and I would suggest watching some youtube videos covering those cases.

The HAF 922 is also a really nice case. I had really liked the HAF 932's, but their price has gone up since last year and I decided they were too big for me. Once again, i would try and watch youtube videos of your case options to see which one you like the most.

Everything else looks pretty good. That corsair PSU is of great quality. You could probably get away with going with their 650W model, but if you wanted CF/SLI in the future then I think I would go with the 750W

I thought that the WD Black HDD's were the best. I don't know anything about the Samsung/Seagate HDD's so I cannot give an opinion there.

I'm pretty sure the RAM is compatible. My suggestion is to try and get the lowest latencies for what your price range is.
February 21, 2010 8:53:06 PM

The ram - there are two Ripjaws, if memory serves me one at 1.65 V CL 7-8-7 ... the other is 1.6 V @ CL 7-7-7. The 1.6 Volt is more expensive (approx $140) but I like it (have) and most people that have commented on it seem to think it's great. There is no noticable diff in performance between the two.
February 21, 2010 9:08:24 PM

RetiredChief said:
The ram - there are two Ripjaws, if memory serves me one at 1.65 V CL 7-8-7 ... the other is 1.6 V @ CL 7-7-7. The 1.6 Volt is more expensive (approx $140) but I like it (have) and most people that have commented on it seem to think it's great. There is no noticable diff in performance between the two.

This might be the Ripjaws with the 7-7-7 timings
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
February 21, 2010 9:14:01 PM

2069888,7,551682 said:
Your ram should be compatible, but without an actual link we can not say, or offer advice to possible other kits for you to use instead, maybe with better timings or price.

hopefully this link works, but this is the RAM I intended to use.
February 22, 2010 2:46:33 AM

How about 2+ hard drives for some RAID action? Ditch the blu-ray and get couple extra hard drives or maybe one or two of these:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

Or a maybe Velociraptor?

And about your Mobo, I really like my GA-P55-UD3R, so the board you picked out is probably fine. The Biostar T55 isn't bad either if you see a good combo deal with an i5 or i7 (not a super-overclocker, but good enough.). I don't think there is any real stand out values.
!