pvsurfer

Distinguished
Jan 4, 2001
I'm building a comp for my brother who will use it strictly for photo-editing (no gaming/3D at all!). He would really like an LCD display but some Photoshop pro told me "He will go nuts trying to calibrate the printer's colors to those on the LCD". Can anyone confirm or deny whether that's truly a problem?

I'd also appreciate some advice on a video card specifically for this use.

Thanks!

<b>God bless the <font color=red>U</font color=red><font color=white>S</font color=white><font color=blue>A</font color=blue></b>

zlcd

Distinguished
Oct 14, 2002
I've been using photoshop for a long time and ever since I got LCD it became a real problem, because LCD can't handle the shades of colors. so if he needs percise colors I wouldn't recommend getting LCD.

pvsurfer

Distinguished
Jan 4, 2001
Hmm, that's pretty much in line with what I've been told. But I guess the 'cool look' of an LCD will quickly 'wear thin' if he has to go through beaucoup iterrations to get a print to look like it should !!!

<b>God bless the <font color=red>U</font color=red><font color=white>S</font color=white><font color=blue>A</font color=blue></b>

IntelConvert

Distinguished
Jan 6, 2001
I certainly can't speak to this as an expert, but I've just recently begun using a 17" Samsung LCD for image-editing (as a hobby) and so far I don't have any problems!

zlcd

Distinguished
Oct 14, 2002
yes, you can still use it, but if you gonna get into detail (with colors) you will run into a problem...

I used to build websites and one of the things I was doing is finding good color scheme and with LCD it was difficult to impossible.

IntelConvert

Distinguished
Jan 6, 2001
I hope you don't think I was contradicting you, as that was not my intent. I should have said - so far I'm not experiencing any difficult color-calibration problem in editing my photos and printing them out. That's not to say that I won't ultimately run into limitations (but I hope not). :smile: