bholm83

Distinguished
Aug 6, 2004
building a 2nd computer in my house for my upstairs bedroom. i want to network my two computers together. i have comcast cable internet and am not sure which way is the best. all i want to do is share internet access and files and printer access. the computers are separated by two floors and was wondering what would be better, wired or wireless networking? really confused on which one would be better, since they all have their pros and cons. im pretty positive i won't be getting a 3rd computer. heard about crossover cables but don't like it cuz both computers have to be on. so what would you guys suggest, wireless or wired connection? thanks for any help.

Flagg7771234

Distinguished
Aug 4, 2004
BUDGET? if you can spen the cash grab the Linksys 802.11g router with two nics, the setup is extremly easy, done in under 10min per PC. Wired then use any of the home dsl/cable routers and be connected in minutes.

all of these are menu based setups that I have seen many times that has never given me any problems. I preach the linksys, there is a small "how to" poster in the box.

Wire vs wireless? well I'm an old wire dog, so I think if you can streach a cable to all PCs do it! if not then wireless. Both could be about the same cost.

Flagg CNE MCSE CCNA

ycs46241

Distinguished
Oct 25, 2001
wireless is a better choice but the floors will block some of the throught put, you might need booster or repeater, cable might be the best, because if you spend money on wireless and has bad connection you wasted all the time and money