Wireless Router at home.

Currently I only have a desktop but my newly purchased laptop is on the way.

When I get it I'd like to consider getting a wireless router like D-link for
an example.

My question, is it safe when you have to disable or even uninstall the
firewall in the desktop and to not be able to use it at all?

I have Sygate and with it I can select which programs I want or don't want
to access the internet.
Will I be able to do that with a wireless router and no firewall in the
computer?
If not it sounds much safer to not have the wireless connection.
What about hackers, spywares, adwares etc.?

Thanks.

IS.
13 answers Last reply
More about wireless router home

    IS wrote:
    > Currently I only have a desktop but my newly purchased laptop is on
    > the way.
    >
    > When I get it I'd like to consider getting a wireless router like
    > D-link for an example.
    >
    > My question, is it safe when you have to disable or even uninstall the
    > firewall in the desktop and to not be able to use it at all?

    The router has a firewall that will protect your system. The protection is
    pretty good, but there are cracks in the armor, so do install any firmware
    updates.

    > I have Sygate and with it I can select which programs I want or don't
    > want to access the internet.

    I don't see any reason you cannot also keep your firewall running on your
    local system. For example, you may want to have a firewall for your
    notebook for when you're on the road, and then just leave it running at home
    for convenience

    > Will I be able to do that with a wireless router and no firewall in
    > the computer?

    You can block or allow only certain ports. For example, FTP and WWW can be
    blocked from the rest of the world, or pointed to a particlar system.

    > If not it sounds much safer to not have the wireless connection.
    > What about hackers, spywares, adwares etc.?

    Use WEP, or MAC address filtering.
    --

    Mike Russell
    www.curvemeister.com

    IS wrote:
    > Currently I only have a desktop but my newly purchased laptop is on the way.
    >
    > When I get it I'd like to consider getting a wireless router like D-link for
    > an example.
    >
    > My question, is it safe when you have to disable or even uninstall the
    > firewall in the desktop and to not be able to use it at all?
    >
    > I have Sygate and with it I can select which programs I want or don't want
    > to access the internet.
    > Will I be able to do that with a wireless router and no firewall in the
    > computer?
    > If not it sounds much safer to not have the wireless connection.
    > What about hackers, spywares, adwares etc.?
    >
    > Thanks.
    >
    > IS.

    All routers I have experience with have filtering to limit access to
    your network and to limit access of computers on your network to the
    Internet. They all have Network Address Translation (NAT) which makes
    computers on your network invisible to the Internet and many have
    Stateful Packet Inspection (SPI) which is a further safeguard against
    hackers.

    "IS" <y@y.com> wrote in message
    | Currently I only have a desktop but my newly purchased laptop is on the
    way.

    | When I get it I'd like to consider getting a wireless router like D-link
    for
    | an example.
    |
    | My question, is it safe when you have to disable or even uninstall the
    | firewall in the desktop and to not be able to use it at all?
    |
    | I have Sygate and with it I can select which programs I want or don't want
    | to access the internet.
    | Will I be able to do that with a wireless router and no firewall in the
    | computer?
    | If not it sounds much safer to not have the wireless connection.
    | What about hackers, spywares, adwares etc.?

    The hardware firewall built into the router is for keeping outside people
    from getting in. It will not necessarily keep inside stuff from geting out.
    If monitoring/controlling that is concern, you should keep your software
    firewall running also. There will be no problem doing that.

    "Mike Russell" <REgeigyMOVE@pacbellTHIS.net> writes:

    > Use WEP, or MAC address filtering.

    I'd recommend WPA and MAC address filtering and a hidden ESSID and
    careful monitoring of usage logs.

    --
    Steven E. Harris

    First, you don't have to disable a firewall to use a wireless router.

    Second, I personally don't recommend the use of software firewalls, at
    all, for most residential users. But I do strongly recommend both
    strong and frequently updated anti-virus software AND the use of a
    router, in ALL cases, even when the internet connection is not being
    shared. My experience with firewalls -- especially software firewalls
    -- is that they cause more problems than they solve. A router (which
    "hides" the computers behind it from the internet) plus anti-virus
    software is all that is needed, for most user, in my opinion.

    Third, if you don't have it already, you will soon have the ability to
    install Windows XP service pack 2, which makes Windows far more secure
    (by, among other things, including a better firewall that is on by
    default -- although it doesn't process outgoing network traffic).

    What is important with a wireless router is that you configure the
    router with encryption turned on, which, unfortunately, makes the job of
    getting the wireless network installed and setup a far more difficult task.

    > First, you don't have to disable a firewall to use a wireless router.
    >
    > Second, I personally don't recommend the use of software firewalls, at
    > all, for most residential users. But I do strongly recommend both
    > strong and frequently updated anti-virus software AND the use of a
    > router, in ALL cases, even when the internet connection is not being
    > shared. My experience with firewalls -- especially software
    > firewalls -- is that they cause more problems than they solve. A
    > router (which "hides" the computers behind it from the internet) plus
    > anti-virus software is all that is needed, for most user, in my
    > opinion.

    Some routers do a better job right out of the box hiding your system
    than others.. I use 'Shields Up' to scan my system each time I make a
    change to an internet component. My current Belkin Wireless came up
    clean right out of the box. A Dlink and Linksys, both non-wireless,
    left some ports open. A quick e-mail to each returned instructions on
    how to stealth them.

    Go here http://grc.com/x/ne.dll?rh1dkyd2 for what used to be called
    Shields Up.

    I seldom see any reference to that site here in any of the groups.
    Perhaps I missed them or maybe no one thinks much of the site.

    Take care.

    > Third, if you don't have it already, you will soon have the ability to
    > install Windows XP service pack 2, which makes Windows far more secure
    > (by, among other things, including a better firewall that is on by
    > default -- although it doesn't process outgoing network traffic).
    >
    > What is important with a wireless router is that you configure the
    > router with encryption turned on, which, unfortunately, makes the job
    > of getting the wireless network installed and setup a far more
    > difficult task.
    >

    > IS wrote:
    >> Currently I only have a desktop but my newly purchased laptop is on
    >> the way.
    >>
    >> When I get it I'd like to consider getting a wireless router like
    >> D-link for
    >> an example.
    >>
    >> My question, is it safe when you have to disable or even uninstall
    >> the
    >> firewall in the desktop and to not be able to use it at all?
    >>
    >> I have Sygate and with it I can select which programs I want or don't
    >> want
    >> to access the internet.
    >> Will I be able to do that with a wireless router and no firewall in
    >> the
    >> computer?
    >> If not it sounds much safer to not have the wireless connection.
    >> What about hackers, spywares, adwares etc.?
    >>
    >> Thanks.
    >>
    >> IS.

    RE: "The router has a firewall that will protect your system."

    Some do, but most do not. A router, or any service providing NAT
    (network address translation) is not a firewall. But for most users, it
    is all that is needed.

    Dear Mike Russel and Barry Watzman.

    Both of you if effect said: "You don't have to disable a firewall to use a
    wireless router."

    A few months ago I had a Linksys Wireless G router and also had Sygate on my
    desktop. I was never able to access the internet and it never occurred to me
    that it was the firewall on the desktop. I called Linksys customer service
    and they asked if I had a firewall either on my laptop or desktop. They told
    me to disable it and once I did everything worked fine.

    That's the reason why I asked about disabling the firewall.

    If things have changed in the Router/Firewall relationship since then (ca 8
    months) that's great. Then I won't have to worry about anything.

    Thanks for your advice. I will follow it when my new laptop arrives.

    IS.

    "IS" <y@y.com> wrote in message
    > Currently I only have a desktop but my newly purchased laptop is on the
    way.

    > When I get it I'd like to consider getting a wireless router like D-link
    for
    > an example.
    >
    > My question, is it safe when you have to disable or even uninstall the
    > firewall in the desktop and to not be able to use it at all?
    >
    > I have Sygate and with it I can select which programs I want or don't want
    > to access the internet.
    > Will I be able to do that with a wireless router and no firewall in the
    > computer?
    > If not it sounds much safer to not have the wireless connection.
    > What about hackers, spywares, adwares etc.?
    >
    > Thanks.
    >
    > IS.

    Nothing has really changed, but there is no inherint conflict between a
    router and a firewall (indeed, some routers have their own firewalls,
    but contrary to what some have said, this is not universal).

    Clearly, when the system was not working, it was not configured
    properly. That's all that can be said without getting very specific
    about the router and it's configuration, and the firewall and it's
    configuration.

    IS wrote:

    > Dear Mike Russel and Barry Watzman.
    >
    > Both of you if effect said: "You don't have to disable a firewall to use a
    > wireless router."
    >
    > A few months ago I had a Linksys Wireless G router and also had Sygate on my
    > desktop. I was never able to access the internet and it never occurred to me
    > that it was the firewall on the desktop. I called Linksys customer service
    > and they asked if I had a firewall either on my laptop or desktop. They told
    > me to disable it and once I did everything worked fine.
    >
    > That's the reason why I asked about disabling the firewall.
    >
    > If things have changed in the Router/Firewall relationship since then (ca 8
    > months) that's great. Then I won't have to worry about anything.
    >
    > Thanks for your advice. I will follow it when my new laptop arrives.
    >
    > IS.
    >

    > "IS" <y@y.com> wrote in message
    >
    >>Currently I only have a desktop but my newly purchased laptop is on the
    >
    > way.
    >
    >>When I get it I'd like to consider getting a wireless router like D-link
    >
    > for
    >
    >>an example.
    >>
    >>My question, is it safe when you have to disable or even uninstall the
    >>firewall in the desktop and to not be able to use it at all?
    >>
    >>I have Sygate and with it I can select which programs I want or don't want
    >>to access the internet.
    >>Will I be able to do that with a wireless router and no firewall in the
    >>computer?
    >>If not it sounds much safer to not have the wireless connection.
    >>What about hackers, spywares, adwares etc.?
    >>
    >>Thanks.
    >>
    >>IS.

    "Jason Cothran" typed:

    > The hardware firewall built into the router is for keeping outside people
    > from getting in. It will not necessarily keep inside stuff from geting out.
    > If monitoring/controlling that is concern, you should keep your software
    > firewall running also. There will be no problem doing that.

    Yes. Generally, for outbound filtering one uses a software firewall.

    --
    Ayaz Ahmed Khan

    "IS" <y@y.com> wrote in message
    | So would getting a Belkin router make more sense than D-link?
    | The only reason why I thought D-link is because they came out best of all
    | tested in this months LapTop Magazine.

    I use the Belkin and am very very happy with it. Mine wasn't "clean out of
    the box" though. I had to forward IDENT (113) to a fake IP in order to
    stealth it.

    PS:

    This doesn't sound very convincing.

    http://www.theregister.co.uk/2003/11/07/help_my_belkin_router/

    Thanks.

    IS.

    "IS" <y@y.com> wrote in message
    | PS:
    |
    | This doesn't sound very convincing.
    |
    | http://www.theregister.co.uk/2003/11/07/help_my_belkin_router/

    FWIW, I have been using mine 6 months, and that has yet to happen. Of course
    I installed no software with my modem, as it is not needed.

Wireless Router Laptops Desktops