Sign in with
Your question

Building a 2010 Gaming Computer, Experts Can I Get Your Opinion?

Last response: in Systems
February 21, 2010 4:19:20 PM

I am wanting to build a computer that will play Star Wars: The Old Republic, Starcraft 2, Dragon Age, Diablo 3 and World of Warcraft very well. The goal is a high FPS rate, with the graphics as high as they will go.

My budget is $1700-$1800. I am hoping that you can comb through this and tell me of anything I could improve/substitute. Your assistance is most appreciated. This is a big purchase for me so my desire is to get it right the first time.

Here is the current build:

-Intel Core i5-750 Lynnfield Quad Core CPU
-Intel DP55WB Motherboard
-4GB Kingston Dual-Channel DDR3 Memory
-Standard ATX Mid-Tower Chassis
-Corsair 750HX (750 Watt) Power Supply
-1500GB SATA300 Hard Drive 64MB Cache
-15 in 1 Memory Card Reader
-LG SATA DVDRW/CDRW Combo
-Sapphire 100282SR Radeon HD 5850 1GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFire Supported Video Card w/ATI Eyefinity
-Windows 7 Home Premium Edition 64-bit
-ASUS 22” LCD Monitor

My current questions besides any suggestions:

1. Is the i5 sufficient or should I go with the i7 860?
2. Is the Corsair 750HX a good choice?
3. Would I be better off with 6GB of Ram?
4. Is my Motherboard sufficient?

Again than you for reading. Your input is very very appreciated, thanks!
February 21, 2010 4:30:00 PM

1. The I7-860 will not give you additional support in gaming so you should stick with the I5
2. If you wish for a modular PSU, yes it is a nice PSU. Or you can get a 750TX.
3. From what I know P55 boards, can support 2GB, 4GB, 8GB and not 6 GB. 4 GB of ram will not be used up in gaming. Stay with 4 GBs.
4. Most enthusiasts get mobos from ASUS or Gigabyte. You should look at motherboards from one of those 2 brands

HDD:Get a Samsung F3 or Seagate 7200.12 for your HDD. They are currently the best HDDs you can get that are efficient and quiet.
GPU:What resolution does that monitor go up to? I think you should probably get a 5870 instead of the 5850 for better FPS
Case:Lian Li Lancool PC-K62, Antec 902, HAF 922 are very popular Mid-tower cases that provide good air cooling. Check those out.
HSF: Coolermaster Hyper 212+ if you plan on overclocking
m
l
February 21, 2010 4:52:01 PM

tserich said:
1. The I7-860 will not give you additional support in gaming so you should stick with the I5
3. From what I know P55 boards, can support 2GB, 4GB, 8GB and not 6 GB. 4 GB of ram will not be used up in gaming. Stay with 4 GBs.
4. Most enthusiasts get mobos from ASUS or Gigabyte. You should look at motherboards from one of those 2 brands

HDD:Get a Samsung F3 or Seagate 7200.12 for your HDD. They are currently the best HDDs you can get that are efficient and quiet.
GPU:What resolution does that monitor go up to? I think you should probably get a 5870 instead of the 5850 for better FPS
Case:Lian Li Lancool PC-K62, Antec 902, HAF 922 are very popular Mid-tower cases that provide good air cooling. Check those out.

Thanks for the advice first of all :) , Good to know on the i5 and Ram.

As for the monitor here is the link:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
Would you recommend a different one?

Regarding the case I think I will go with either the Antec 902 or HAF 922.

Regarding Overclocking I'm not very experienced with it. Looking into it more I might do it, but I am hoping with this setup I will meet all my goals accordingly. However if I do, that cooler looks fantastic.

m
l
Related resources
February 21, 2010 5:09:36 PM

tserich said:

Agreed, the asus and gigabyte mobo's are built for performance, while intel's are built to be cheap to build and make maximum profit
m
l
February 21, 2010 5:25:12 PM

Could you recommend one in particular for me Flightsimluke? Would be most grateful :-D
m
l
!