Sabertooth X58 network performance ?

pumpkin_eater

Distinguished
Feb 5, 2010
Hi,

I wonder if someone could help me shed some light on this, please.

I read in a tech review at another site that the Sabertooth X58 motherboard from Asus has very poor network performance due to its PCI-based Gigabit Ethernet controller.

Their testing revealed this in comparison to a Rampage board.

NTttcp Ethernet performance:
-Rampage III Gene: 930.3 Throughput (Mbps)
-Sabertooth X58: 711.0 Throughput (Mbps)

I am sorry, but I don't know how to interpret those figures. Does it mean that my internet will be something like 25% slower than with a Rampage board? Or has it to do with the overall processing of information in my computer (running applications etc)?

If it is affecting internet speed, am I likely to notice or does most traffic occur at a rate below 711.0 anyway? But if so, why does the other tech site say that it is simply inexcusable to provide such poor Ethernet performance?

I am building a new computer from scratch, this is why I am interested in the Sabertooth.

FWIW, I have a 60-100 Mbit/s internet connection which I use with a 5 your old Dell Dimension 9100 and this gives my superfast transfer rates over the internet. For my work I need to transfer large files to and from ftp:s so I am dependent on a computer that transfers things as fast as my current PC, which I just tested against Speedtest.net with these results:

Thanks a lot!

xaira

Distinguished
the sabertooth will only bottleneck in an in house gigabit Ethernet, a 100megabit connection cannot be bottlenecked by a 700 megabit transmission width

Gekko Shadow

Distinguished
Oct 4, 2010

^+1

Jrw363

Distinguished
Sep 14, 2010
anyone think that the slower ethernet plug would be a problem in any close years to come? Is gigabit internet going to become mainstream anytime soon?

Gekko Shadow

Distinguished
Oct 4, 2010

Well it's starting to come around in the U.S. - but it's not mainstream yet. I say It will take maybe a couple more years before it's something you'll find at your local Mickey D's lol xD.

Gekko Shadow

Distinguished
Oct 4, 2010

indeed. i can only imagine

"So what limb do you wish to use to pay with sir?"

"Well i'm out of legs, and i need to keep my only left (right) hand"

*background crying of baby*

"We'll take your baby."

Jrw363

Distinguished
Sep 14, 2010
so building a system with the sabertooths slower ethernet jack probably wouldnt be used during the life of its build then