Need Help: Hyper Transport sync flood error, now no sound!

blobdude

Distinguished
Jan 3, 2010
I made my first build shortly after the new year started. After some initial boot issues (I was a wimp with my RAM, and it wasn't in all the way), I got everything up and running, installed all of my programs, got all my new games going, and, eventually...the system crashed.

But it was a very odd crash. I think the first time it happened, I was watching Hulu, from within my browser, full-screened. At one point, the screen just went solid black, but the sound was still coming through. Nothing would bring my normal display back up, so I had to reboot. *** happens, I didn't think much of it. Until it happened again as soon as I resumed watching, in full-screen. After playing around with it, and living with it for the time that I have, I've been able to figure it out...a little.

The system will only crash when I'm running something in full screen, be it flash video or VLC, or Zune, or a game. What's odd, though, is that if I keep things windowed, it's fine. Yesterday, I booted up Civ IV and started playing. Ten minutes in, I got the same kind of crash. I came back, booted Civ IV up again, set it to run windowed, and played for well over an hour before I decided to stop of my own accord.

The only hint I've been given as to what kind of problem could be going on is what happens when the computer crashes, but reboots itself (sometimes I have to manually reboot, sometimes it does it itself). When it comes to the bios screen, I'm told that "A Hyper Transport sync flood error occurred on boot." Prompted to press F1 to continue and so on.

I spent some time looking around forums everywhere and utilizing Google to try and diagnose my problem, but not to much avail. The best I could find is that it's possibly a faulty power supply (or maybe not enough wattage in my case), or a faulty mobo. I've been very hesitant to take the system apart, as it's become so central in my daily usage, but this is getting out of hand. The only thing I had managed to run full-screened with no problems was Hulu Desktop. And just now, that did the usual freeze and I had to reboot. Except, when I powered up this time, I had no sound. I checked, and the computer is outputting sound through my Digital out, while I'm using HDMI. However, it's not reading any HDMI as connected (for sound), which doesn't make any sense, because it's displaying just fine.

I'm sorry this has been such a long post, but I wanted to give as much detail as I could. All the better for coming to an answer, right? My build is below. Thank you in advance.

AMD Athlon II X4 620 Propus 2.6GHz
Crucial 4GB (2x2GB) DDR3 (PC3 10600)
Antec Basiq BP500U 500W Continuous Power ATX12V
Sony Optiarc Black 24x DVD/CD Drive
Western Digital Caviar Blue 640GB HDD
ATI Radeon HD 5770 1GB
MSI 785GM-E51 AM3
NZXT Nemesis Elite Case

Running Win7 Pro

Solution
1.5v is supposed to be the standard for DDR3 RAM, however there's alot of DDR3 RAM sold out there that wants more. (typically 1.65 or something around there) So make absolutely sure what the specs are for your particular set. So what I'd try if you think it's a RAM problem is to clear the CMOS, load 'turbo defaults' or whatever it's called in yours then set the voltage and speed and timings as per what your RAM should be.

2.1v is common for faster DDR2 RAM which is what you probably remember. (which is also higher than the standard 1.8v)

If it doesn't work that wasn't the problem. But probably good to have your RAM performing where it's supposed to.

blobdude

Distinguished
Jan 3, 2010
Update: After making this post, I shut the computer down. After having just booted it back up, the sound is now working again. However, the Hyper Transport sync flood error still persists.

blobdude

Distinguished
Jan 3, 2010
From a little bid of reading on the topic, it seems increasing Ram voltage can solve the issue. Now, the Ram I have does say 1.5v in the specs, but I suppose that's just a minimum? Regardless, when I was upping the voltage in my BIOS, it told me that going above 1.71v was not recommended. But the number I remember being thrown around was something like 2.1v. Is it unsafe to go that high? Are there other things I should be changing that would make it safe, or less unsafe?

False_Dmitry_II

Distinguished
1.5v is supposed to be the standard for DDR3 RAM, however there's alot of DDR3 RAM sold out there that wants more. (typically 1.65 or something around there) So make absolutely sure what the specs are for your particular set. So what I'd try if you think it's a RAM problem is to clear the CMOS, load 'turbo defaults' or whatever it's called in yours then set the voltage and speed and timings as per what your RAM should be.

2.1v is common for faster DDR2 RAM which is what you probably remember. (which is also higher than the standard 1.8v)

If it doesn't work that wasn't the problem. But probably good to have your RAM performing where it's supposed to.

Solution