Do any TV cards have HDMI input?

RandomMcFly

Distinguished
Feb 11, 2010
Hi all,

Longtime viewer, first time poster. Maybe I'm not asking the right question, but I can briefly explain what I'd like to do. I am building a new system and instead of buying a monitor, I'll be hooking up a new ATI Radeon HD 5750 via HDMI cable to my new Samsung 46" 6000 series LED 120Hz TV. I have a cable-company-assigned HD DVR that works fine with On-Demand shows and premium channels that I'd like to use, and it has an HDMI out.

Most of the TV tuners I see at NewEgg and elsewhere only have coax input options, but I would like to simply stream my TV content via HDMI. Or is that a bad line of thinking?

My question is: is there a PCI-e card or some affordable option of running the HDMI cable from my HD DVR box to my PC for my family and myself to watch TV the way we normally do through a window on my Windows 7 desktop (or fullscreen)? I feel like the HD DVR box does an adequate job and the interface is fine, and I like my Logitech Harmony remote we use to control all of my devices... but I'd rather not have to switch HDMI inputs frequently through the LED TV.

Any suggestions? Thanks in advance! :)

leon2006

Distinguished
Eventually there will be HDMI input capable PC-base recording device. Its going to take sometime due to legal issues. Copyright protected material such as movies on Blue-Ray disc are very sensitive/protective of outright capability to copy the content of its discs.

The best way to copy HD is from component video output...Component video output is an analog format but is well capable of 1080P(At least on what i have tried).

You can capture the output of a cable box, or any HD format player using the video component. The quality is as good as the HDMI output. As anoa has indicated one of the device that is capable of recording from a component video is hauppage HD-PVR. The path is below..

http://www.hauppauge.com/site/products/data_hdpvr.html

RandomMcFly

Distinguished
Feb 11, 2010
Actually I'm not looking to record at all. Maybe I'm the only person not interested in turning my PC into a DVR or recording anything... all I really want is to view a window on my Windows 7 desktop, and that window should look like what my HDTV looks like when I'm watching a program from my cable box. I'd still like to use the cable box because of the on-demand options, the "Start Over" feature, recording, etc.

I was just wondering if I could run the HDMI-out cable from my DVR to my PC somehow (something simple). If I can't run HDMI, would just simply buying a basic TV tuner work for my purposes? I'd then run coax-out from my HDTV?

leon2006

Distinguished
Same reasoning applies.

What you can view on your desktop can be recorded not by you but others who intend to.

So HDMI inputs are extremely rare on any electronic device capable or has potentialy capable of recording the copyright protected content.

ppatt

Honorable
Mar 1, 2013

Yes, that's what they say and you repeat but how did this all of a sudden become an issue when it had not before? Opportunity, I'd say. It's not a technical topic but the difference between view-once and own is artificial. There is a move towards viewing rights -- meaning that if I or someone in my family paid to view then we can all view and view again, but only us. That is made possible by establishing a secure, certificate-based identity. There will always be someone making hardware that can tap into any path through the computer you do actually own. I could always have 200 people over to view my movies too. Hauppage had better watch it!