Sapphire Radeon HD 4890 problems

jdog66

Distinguished
Apr 15, 2009
Hi All. I started having a problem last night with my PC. I bumped the case with my knee, started getting artifacts on monitor immediately, BSOD, then shutdown. Wouldn't boot up, although I could hear the HD spin up.

I restarted the machine and notice the Sapphire Radeon HD 4890 GPU blinking 3 led lights. Fans were making a funny noise, sounded like the power was surging/fading. Loud whir, then soft whir.

I shut down, unplugged, grounded myself, and discharged power (reset button). I unplugged the GPU and reseated it. Successful boot. Shut down again to reconnect everything and move the box back under the desk. Same problem as before. Reseat GPU again, but no dice this time. Tried the card in the other PCI slot, same issue.

Finally, I tried switching out the GPU to an older Nvidia I had laying around. Worked like a champ. Looks like the card.

Anyone had to return to Sapphire before? They don't even list a U.S. contact #, so I submitted a support ticket and sent an email to their RMA email addy. No auto-reply to either doesn't exactly give me a warm and fuzzy.

My Specs:

CORSAIR CMPSU-650TX 650W ATX12V / EPS12V
GIGABYTE GA-MA790XT-UD4P AM3 DDR3 AMD 790X ATX AMD Motherboard
Western Digital Caviar Black WD6401AALS 640GB 7200 RPM SATA HDD
G.SKILL 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1333
AMD Phenom II X3 720 2.8GHz Socket AM3 95W Triple-Core Black
SAPPHIRE 100269SR Radeon HD 4890 1GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express

Solution
well it may be the card or it could be a faulty power supply. does the fan on the graphics card spin? maybe its overheating? you said you bumped the case with the knee, maybe some of the pci-e pins got scratched?? or some cable came loose?

Derbixrace

Distinguished
May 26, 2008
well it may be the card or it could be a faulty power supply. does the fan on the graphics card spin? maybe its overheating? you said you bumped the case with the knee, maybe some of the pci-e pins got scratched?? or some cable came loose?

Solution

jdog66

Distinguished
Apr 15, 2009
The GPU fan does spin. I took the card out and visually inspected the pins. Nothing looked out of the ordinary there. I checked all cables (unplugged and replugged). Guess I'll be RMA'ing the card. Thanks for your replies.

TRENDING THREADS