Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question
Solved

PHENOM II X6 1090T

Last response: in CPUs
Share
April 29, 2010 10:36:02 AM

AMD just release the 6 core 1090t, and for $300, its a steel .....lot cheaper than the 980 i7....

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

More about : phenom 1090t

Best solution

a b à CPUs
April 29, 2010 1:04:08 PM

You a little late, where have you been all week. Next time use search 1st.
Share
Related resources
a b à CPUs
April 29, 2010 11:14:09 PM

World's best cpu, after the 1055T.

If you intend to heavily overclock, then the 1090T is probably better, just due to being a Black Edition. A 4ghz 1090T is pretty much on a par with intels $1000 i7 980X, and better in gaming. For $300 you can have the ultimate gaming cpu - hell for $200 you can have it so long as you have the other components that lets the 1055T overclock to 4ghz :) 
m
0
l
a b à CPUs
April 29, 2010 11:19:43 PM

If I could afford a 980X I'd be too scared to overclock it incase I broke it lol. :D 
m
0
l
a b à CPUs
April 29, 2010 11:25:52 PM

Maybe that's why you can't get hold of any 980x's anywhere? :D 
m
0
l
April 29, 2010 11:31:32 PM

980 overclok to 5.0ghz?you have link that show it?
m
0
l
a b à CPUs
April 30, 2010 12:26:01 AM

What do you mean by ultimate gaming CPU? You'll get an etra 2 fps in 1 maybe 2 games for nearly twice the price of a 955 clock4clock. Sounds like a great investment.

X6 is good for encoding and other CPU intensive multi-threaded tasks, and dominates the ~$200 market for those uses. Deneb is all you need for games.
m
0
l
a b à CPUs
April 30, 2010 1:56:13 AM

ronss said:
AMD just release the 6 core 1090t, and for $300, its a steel ....


Its steel?

All this time I thought it was a 6 core cpu. And it was an Iron based metal alloy all along! :kaola: 
m
0
l
a c 131 à CPUs
a b À AMD
April 30, 2010 2:03:03 AM

jennyh said:
A 4ghz 1090T is pretty much on a par with intels $1000 i7 980X, and better in gaming.

What benchmarks have you been reading?
m
0
l
a b à CPUs
April 30, 2010 2:06:59 AM

I meant a 4ghz 1090T vs a stock i7 980X. There are plenty of benchmarks showing that the 4ghz Thuban is very close to Gulftown, and well there are plenty of gaming benchmarks showing Thuban beating gulftown at stock, nevermind with an overclock.

I'm not saying it's the norm - Gulftown wins a lot more than it loses in gaming, but at 4ghz...yeah I'm pretty sure Thuban beats Gulftown at stock in gaming more often than not.
m
0
l
a b à CPUs
April 30, 2010 2:12:19 AM

Start here :- http://www.overclockersclub.com/reviews/amd_phenom2_x6_...

The very last column is Thuban at 4ghz, the orange column (2nd one) is Gulftown.

Thuban easily wins Far Cry 2 at all resolutions.
They are identical in Crysis Warhead at all resolutions.
Bioshock is a win for Gulftown except at max resolution, where they are equal.
CoD WAW is a win for Gulftown at all resolutions.
DeadSpace is a win for Thuban at all resolutions.
Fallout 3 is 2 wins for Thuban 1 win for Gulftown.
Left 4 Dead Gulftown wins at all resolutions.

So..um yeah. Why can't people see this? If Thuban is a bad gaming cpu then Gulftown must be terrible at 3x the price.

Why was nobody saying Gulftown was a bad gaming cpu btw? because it can run world in conflict at 400 fps at 800x600 resolution?
m
0
l
a b à CPUs
April 30, 2010 2:24:26 AM

The only time Thuban is going to win is in bottlenecked situations and its never going to be more than a few fps.

Also its going to win just as many against an overclocked gulftown as a stock one due to it being a bottlenecked situation and intel hits a harder wall in those instances.

Put a stronger graphics setup in there and thuban will never win.
m
0
l
a b à CPUs
April 30, 2010 2:32:02 AM

Lol not that tired old argument again. It's particularly invalid this time around Raider, you want to know why?

By the time stronger graphics cards are out, Bulldozer and Sandy Bridge will be out, and Gulftown will be a distant memory.

I am willing to wager anything that you will be able to buy the 1090T *and* bulldozer for less than what the i7 980x costs now.

The facts don't lie. If you want gulftown-like gaming performance *now* just save yourself $700 and buy a 1090T and simply overclock it to 4ghz. It can't be denied, the facts are simple and there in front of you. A bad gaming cpu? Dear oh dear I worry at how simplistic some of your minds are if you actually believe this is a bad gaming cpu.
m
0
l
a c 131 à CPUs
a b À AMD
April 30, 2010 2:34:32 AM

jennyh said:
Start here :- http://www.overclockersclub.com/reviews/amd_phenom2_x6_...

The very last column is Thuban at 4ghz, the orange column (2nd one) is Gulftown.

I've read that article before, and it contradicts most other sites I've read. But I did notice 2 things:
1. They use a weak GTX260. Seriously, everything there is GPU limited.
2. They are close enough to be within the margin of error.

I try to stay fair but I am a bit of an AMD fan. I was rather disappointed when I found the Phenom IIx6 didn't beat the phenom IIx4 965 in games much. I'm sure it will come out ahead though once more multi-threading is introduced.

Oddly, I was very disappointed in Thuban after reading Tom's review. But this soon disappeared after reading other reviews, all of which seemed more favourable.

No one said thuban was a bad gaming CPU but everything I've read has pointed the 965 to be better or about equal in gaming. This makes it a hard sell for gamers. Except it's thermals, voltages, temperatures and overclocking make it seem attractive. Personally, I'd like to see some FSX benchmarks with the 1090t.

jennyh said:
I meant a 4ghz 1090T vs a stock i7 980X.

I know you did. That's what you said. And what I was referring to.

jennyh said:
By the time stronger graphics cards are out, Bulldozer and Sandy Bridge will be out, and Gulftown will be a distant memory.

Say what? There are a lot more GPUs more powerful than the GTX260. The 5870 was standard on most sites for testing. Not to mention crossfire and triple crossfire setups.
m
0
l
a b à CPUs
April 30, 2010 2:37:13 AM

jennyh said:
Start here :- http://www.overclockersclub.com/reviews/amd_phenom2_x6_...

The very last column is Thuban at 4ghz, the orange column (2nd one) is Gulftown.

Thuban easily wins Far Cry 2 at all resolutions.
They are identical in Crysis Warhead at all resolutions.
Bioshock is a win for Gulftown except at max resolution, where they are equal.
CoD WAW is a win for Gulftown at all resolutions.
DeadSpace is a win for Thuban at all resolutions.
Fallout 3 is 2 wins for Thuban 1 win for Gulftown.
Left 4 Dead Gulftown wins at all resolutions.

So..um yeah. Why can't people see this? If Thuban is a bad gaming cpu then Gulftown must be terrible at 3x the price.

Why was nobody saying Gulftown was a bad gaming cpu btw? because it can run world in conflict at 400 fps at 800x600 resolution?


Comparing flagship CPUs with a low end GPU is brilliant. GJ OCclub.
m
0
l
a b à CPUs
April 30, 2010 2:38:33 AM

Ok seriously.

What is it that makes Thuban a bad gaming cpu? The only game it has underperformed at is Crysis - and even then it's only been bad on THG.

On the flipside, it has dominated all other cpu's in battlefield 2. A real mutithreaded game win compared to Crysis's dual-core optimisation.

Why is this a bad gaming cpu? It's not.
m
0
l
a c 131 à CPUs
a b À AMD
April 30, 2010 2:40:27 AM

jennyh said:
Ok seriously.

What is it that makes Thuban a bad gaming cpu? The only game it has underperformed at is Crysis - and even then it's only been bad on THG.

On the flipside, it has dominated all other cpu's in battlefield 2. A real mutithreaded game win compared to Crysis's dual-core optimisation.

Why is this a bad gaming cpu? It's not.

ok seriously, you are the only one who has used "thuban" and "bad gaming CPU" in the same sentence.
m
0
l
a b à CPUs
April 30, 2010 2:41:07 AM

Raidur said:
Comparing flagship CPUs with a low end GPU is brilliant. GJ OCclub.


Such hypocrisy Raidur.

You think combining a top end cpu with a mid range graphics card is bad, but you believe benchmarking top end cpu's and gpu's at lowest settings is good? :lol: 

Just keep digging those holes - sooner or later you'll figure out how hypocritical most of you are being.
m
0
l
a b à CPUs
April 30, 2010 2:41:32 AM

enzo matrix said:
ok seriously, you are the only one who has used "thuban" and "bad gaming CPU" in the same sentence.


Well I know that's not true.
m
0
l
a b à CPUs
April 30, 2010 2:43:21 AM

jennyh said:
Lol not that tired old argument again. It's particularly invalid this time around Raider, you want to know why?

By the time stronger graphics cards are out, Bulldozer and Sandy Bridge will be out, and Gulftown will be a distant memory.

I am willing to wager anything that you will be able to buy the 1090T *and* bulldozer for less than what the i7 980x costs now.

The facts don't lie. If you want gulftown-like gaming performance *now* just save yourself $700 and buy a 1090T and simply overclock it to 4ghz. It can't be denied, the facts are simple and there in front of you. A bad gaming cpu? Dear oh dear I worry at how simplistic some of your minds are if you actually believe this is a bad gaming cpu.


By stronger graphics card I mean gtx480/5970. This is valid, especially in your shown review.

Actually if you want gulftown performance in gaming you can spend less than both systems and get i5+OC.
m
0
l
April 30, 2010 3:09:46 AM

jennyh said:
Lol not that tired old argument again. It's particularly invalid this time around Raider, you want to know why?

By the time stronger graphics cards are out, Bulldozer and Sandy Bridge will be out, and Gulftown will be a distant memory.


:lol:  By the time software is much more multicore friendly(which will not happen before better GPU's and games needing it comes out), then Haswell and Bulldozer's successor will be out and Thuban's uninspiring less than 5 threaded performances will be a distant memory.
m
0
l
a b à CPUs
April 30, 2010 3:17:17 AM

jennyh said:
Such hypocrisy Raidur.

You think combining a top end cpu with a mid range graphics card is bad, but you believe benchmarking top end cpu's and gpu's at lowest settings is good? :lol: 

Just keep digging those holes - sooner or later you'll figure out how hypocritical most of you are being.


When did I prefer lower settings? The only time I prefer lower settings when comparing processors is when the gpu is not strong enough to tell a significant difference between un-alike cpus.
m
0
l
April 30, 2010 3:36:08 AM

FALC0N said:
Its steel?

All this time I thought it was a 6 core cpu. And it was an Iron based metal alloy all along! :kaola: 


Haha! Nice one. :D 

Thuban is good for activities that require/utilizes more processing cores. But honestly, it is no better than 965 for current games.

m
0
l
a c 131 à CPUs
a b À AMD
April 30, 2010 4:18:31 AM

jennyh said:
Well I know that's not true.

I used the page search. It's true.

Then I reread each post carefully.
The closest I could find were the following. and none of them call thuban a bad gaming cpu:

performance wise you cant beat the 980x
scaling of Nehalem at high frequencies is better than the K10 in most circumstances
The only time Thuban is going to win is in bottlenecked situations and its never going to be more than a few fps

Not one of those statements call thuban a bad gaming CPU.

You claimed that everyone is calling thuban a bad gaming CPU a total of 15 times.
m
0
l
April 30, 2010 5:30:44 AM

sorry..i quess this is sort of late news...and i have been in another world for the last week :sleep: 
m
0
l
April 30, 2010 5:31:33 AM

Best answer selected by ronss.
m
0
l
!