Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Gigabyte X58A-UD3R not recognizing eSATA drives

Last response: in Motherboards
October 5, 2010 4:41:22 PM

So I have this new computer from CyberpowerPC, built on a X58A-UD3R mobo. Everything seems to be working OK (still have to get some benchmarks done to see how it runs, something to assess gaming performance really).

My main issue right now is that my Fantom Drives external eSATA won't show up at all in Windows. I've got two of the 1TB drives, and a 2TB drive, all are dual USB/eSATA enclosures.

1) Both drives are recognized via the eSATA port on my laptop.
2) Both drives work on the CyberpowerPC via USB connection.

Neither Cyberpower nor Gigabyte have been able to tell me what the problem here is. Any suggestions?
a b V Motherboard
October 5, 2010 4:46:07 PM

Are all the controllers turned on in bios?
Check that the front panel is wired to mobo.
m
l
a c 716 V Motherboard
October 5, 2010 4:53:33 PM

Welcome Newcomer! :) 

Q - What drives, besides the {external} are connected to the MOBO?

Next, my first guess is that CyberPowerPC did NOT set-up the eSATA as AHCI in the BIOS, and "IF" you plugged-in an external HDD "HOT" meaning you system was on a corruption is more likely the culprit. To attempt a repair enter the BIOS and change the eSATA {IDE} to {AHCI} and reboot with the drives disconnected.
m
l
Related resources
October 5, 2010 5:04:13 PM

Internally I have a DVDRW drive and HD plugged into the onboard SATA ports.

I am using the eSATA ports on the mobo back panel, and I've verified the eSATA controlled is enabled and running in AHCI mode. Still nothing.

These are, btw, combined eSATA/USB2.0 ports. Ingenious design in my opinion, squeezing 2 eSATA and 2 SATA ports in with the 4 USB ports. (Sidebar, why have SATA ports available externally?)

Anyway, no luck with the eSATA ports. Plugging the drive in via USB cable into the same port has it showing up in Vista just fine though.
m
l
a c 716 V Motherboard
October 5, 2010 5:13:27 PM

^ Again, did you plug-in the eSATA "HOT" prior to the BIOS change?
m
l
October 5, 2010 5:16:57 PM

jaquith said:
^ Again, did you plug-in the eSATA "HOT" prior to the BIOS change?

Oh, yes, I did hot plug the drive prior to the change. This time around I unplugged the drive, rebooted, checked the BIOS settings, then went into Windows and plugged in the drive.
m
l
a c 716 V Motherboard
October 5, 2010 5:36:50 PM

Okay, lets try simple first to correct any corruption:
1. Shutdown & unplug eSATA HDD, Run System Restore and "hopefully" find a restore point prior to the "hot swap" time-frame then shutdown and reattach eSATA HDD.
Failure
2. Shutdown & unplug eSATA HDD, goto eSATA HDD site to see if any compliment {OS environment} drivers are available and install, shutdown and reattach eSATA HDD.
3. Shutdown & unplug eSATA HDD, D/L and reinstall all SATA drivers from GA then shutdown and reattach eSATA HDD.
GA (rev 2) - http://www.gigabyte.us/products/product-page.aspx?pid=3...
Failure
4. Shutdown & Plug-In eSATA HDD, open Device Manager and if present & non-functional right-click listed eSATA HDD and click delete, and restart.

FAILURE:
Verify that the eSATA HDD can indeed run-off a powered eSATA port a/k/a eSATAp.
m
l
October 5, 2010 8:25:37 PM

Nothing worked. As a last, desperate resort, I wiped my internal drive, made sure all the SATA and eSATA controllers in the BIOS were set to AHCI mode, then reinstalled Windows Vista.

The backpanel eSATA ports are running in AHCI mode (not IDE or RAID)

I loaded all the SATA drivers from the Gigabyte site, and I know the internal drive is working in AHCI mode.

The Intel ICH10R SATA AHCI controller shows up in the device manager, as well as a Standard AHCI 1.0 Serial ATA Controller.

Unfortunately, still nothing when I plug in the eSATA drive. Not even a blip out Windows. I have the feeling some small but important detail is being skipped over here, somewhere... I just don't know what it is.
m
l
a c 716 V Motherboard
October 5, 2010 9:16:11 PM

Well I wasn't going to go that far to reinstall the OS; I was going for a possible corruption.

Goto the eSATA OEM site and see if they have a driver for their drive. Also, please post the info about that drive {name or link}. Does eSATA drive appear in the BIOS?

I did note {Fantom Drives} and I do see both drivers and firmware listed - http://www.micronet.com/support/software.htm
m
l
October 6, 2010 12:47:46 AM

It is a Fantom GreenDrive 1TB, model GD1000EU. And it doesn't show up in the BIOS.

None of the drivers on the Fantom Drives website are applicable, they are only legacy drivers for XP or NAS drivers as far as I can tell.
m
l
October 10, 2010 3:54:25 AM

I gave up, I had issues with the memory being stable at it's base speed of 1600MHz (turns out it was just rebranded 1200MHz chips), and other problems, so I just returned the system and paid out some extra dough for a better one built on an Asus Rampage III Extreme board.
m
l

Best solution

a c 716 V Motherboard
October 10, 2010 6:16:37 AM

Not too surprised the I think the GA-X58A-UD3R sucks!

Good Luck on your ASUS!
October 17, 2010 6:52:51 AM

Best answer selected by sentry1.
m
l
September 17, 2011 7:02:16 PM

Thank you sooooo much! Have x58A-UD5 ver. 2 and was having same issue. My best 'not so elegant' solution was HotSwap! but t didn't recognise drive on connect - required harware scan (extra mouse clicks and step's). Did a system image first and then tried this driver - yeah! works perfectly now!
m
l
July 14, 2012 3:47:45 PM

alaskanrabb said:
Install this driver, unplug esata and reset you computer, this solved it for me. surprisingly this is not included with the ud3r driver cd.

ftp://driver.jmicron.com.tw/SATA_Controller/Windows/JMB...

Tried this soultion and it also worked for me on my MSI X58 motherboard on which my eSata port was not being recognized by my external Fantom drive. Thanks.
m
l
!