First Time Building (Gaming PC, $1000 budget)

mansou

Distinguished
Feb 18, 2010
APPROXIMATE PURCHASE DATE: Within the month
BUDGET RANGE: $1000 (can go abit over but the cheaper the better)

SYSTEM USAGE FROM MOST TO LEAST IMPORTANT: Gaming, Watching HD Movies (have a netbook I use for word processing and internet browsing)

PARTS NOT REQUIRED: (Mouse, Monitor, including a keyboard would be great but not required, operating system)

PREFERRED WEBSITE(S) FOR PARTS: New Egg
COUNTRY OF ORIGIN: USA

PARTS PREFERENCES: ATI Graphics
Prefer 8gb of ram as I'm gonna have this thing for quite awhile

OVERCLOCKING: Maybe(probably not)
SLI OR CROSSFIRE: Maybe(I would like to have the option in the future to use crossfire)
MONITOR RESOLUTION: (Going to be buying a new one, not quite sure on this one yet. Sorry)
ADDITIONAL COMMENTS: My gaming computer broke about a month ago and I really would like to get a new one. This would be my first time building a computer. Ill have some help from my brother who is quite experienced at building computers though.

GPU - Radeon HD 5850 http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814129141&cm_re=ati_5850-_-14-129-141-_-Product

whitefang

Distinguished
Feb 14, 2009
http://i50.tinypic.com/n6s0zn.jpg

n6s0zn.jpg

You have another PCI-x16 slot for a future upgrade. You also have 2 more ram slots for more ram in the future. The PSU can take another 5870 down the road so you should be all set.

Of course if any one else has any better suggestions then this let em rip! :p

mansou

Distinguished
Feb 18, 2010
yeah, some perks of being a student

I don't know terribly much about cpu/gpu relationship but would that cpu bottleneck such a nice graphics card?

Thanks aton for that build though, looks like it would be great and way more powerful then I thought I could get :)

mansou

Distinguished
Feb 18, 2010

Yeah, I would have the cast on the floor next to my desk anyhow >.>

mansou

Distinguished
Feb 18, 2010
Whitefang I think I might go with what you suggested , Thanks alot.

Just 2 quick questions: Would it be fine heat wise with just stock fans? if I overclocked it later down the line?

And would anything be different in terms of building then the guide on this website suggests?

mansou

Distinguished
Feb 18, 2010
That cooler does look great, but it would put me slightly over budget which is why I was wondering if the stock stuff would not cut it. If that's the case I think I can spend an extra bill or two on the cooler though

whitefang

Distinguished
Feb 14, 2009
The two case fans are plenty. if you need a few more they are only $2 or so on newegg.

If you do intend on overclocking I would buy the HSF later on down the road when your ready. You can still overclock with the stock HSF, just not as much as with an aftermarket HSF.