Overclocking my i7 875K

Tags:
  • CPUs
  • Overclocking
  • Intel i7
Last response: in Overclocking
December 4, 2012 11:58:01 PM

Hello Guys,

I require your help in overclocking my i7 875K.

I have the following setup:

i7 875k
Gigabyte GA-P55A-UD7
Zalman CNPS 9900 MAX cpu cooler

I have currently overclocked the processor to 3.7 Ghz by just turning up the multiplier from 22 to 28. The rest of the stuff is all on stock settings. However, I have disabled turbo and C states. My idle temps are 37 degrees and the load temps while gaming are maximum 65 degrees. However, if I run Prime 95, the temps hover over 80 degrees. Please assist. I want to overclock my CPU to atleast 4Ghz. Should i change my CPU cooler to the Corsair H80 or the Antec Kuhler 920? Please help.

More about : overclocking 875k

a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
December 5, 2012 12:15:15 AM

80C is pretty hot honestly. Prime isn't going to be the "norm" of usage for your processor unless you do a lot of processor intensive things, but still if you're spiking to 80's with prime, I wouldn't dare test with Linpack/IBT. Prime only gets my 2600k to about 55C wherein IBT can get it to 65C with max settings.

I'm not familiar with that cooler but if it's anything like the CNPS9500A, it's best used as a desktop ornament. Water cooling can get you a little further in overclocking than a top quality air cooler. I'd suggest a Hyper 212 air cooler with a pair of good 120mm fans bolted to it as long as you can fit it on your board with your ram. I'm not absolutely sure if it will as I'm not familiar with that motherboard at all. I do however know my ASRock P67 Extreme6 wouldn't fit the hyper 212 with the stock fan but with a slightly slimmer but more powerful silverstone fan on it, it does. Comparison from the Zalman CNPS9500A and this Hyper 212 are an easy 15C max one hour load temperature. Might even be closer to 20C, but definitely worth the money I paid for it. An H80 might get you a little better, but probably not worth the price/maintenance of water cooling.

I do believe the 1156 socket will accept any 1155 cooler so at least you know your options. Aside from that, if you haven't learned a lot about overclocking yet; I'd read up as much as possible on your chip and motherboard. Remember, the internet is FULL of people posting their results and problems and 99 out of 100 times, someone has your exact CPU/Mobo combo to give you a better idea.
m
l
December 22, 2012 12:12:25 AM

steddora said:
80C is pretty hot honestly. Prime isn't going to be the "norm" of usage for your processor unless you do a lot of processor intensive things, but still if you're spiking to 80's with prime, I wouldn't dare test with Linpack/IBT. Prime only gets my 2600k to about 55C wherein IBT can get it to 65C with max settings.

I'm not familiar with that cooler but if it's anything like the CNPS9500A, it's best used as a desktop ornament. Water cooling can get you a little further in overclocking than a top quality air cooler. I'd suggest a Hyper 212 air cooler with a pair of good 120mm fans bolted to it as long as you can fit it on your board with your ram. I'm not absolutely sure if it will as I'm not familiar with that motherboard at all. I do however know my ASRock P67 Extreme6 wouldn't fit the hyper 212 with the stock fan but with a slightly slimmer but more powerful silverstone fan on it, it does. Comparison from the Zalman CNPS9500A and this Hyper 212 are an easy 15C max one hour load temperature. Might even be closer to 20C, but definitely worth the money I paid for it. An H80 might get you a little better, but probably not worth the price/maintenance of water cooling.

I do believe the 1156 socket will accept any 1155 cooler so at least you know your options. Aside from that, if you haven't learned a lot about overclocking yet; I'd read up as much as possible on your chip and motherboard. Remember, the internet is FULL of people posting their results and problems and 99 out of 100 times, someone has your exact CPU/Mobo combo to give you a better idea.

Well, I sold my Zalman and bought myself a Thermalright Silver Arrow. All I can say is, I am very happy with the change. This thing keeps my i7 too cool even at load. I have it now overclocked to 4.13Ghz @1.25 volts with vdroop enabled. I now idle at 34 degrees and load temps on prime 95/intel burn test are max 72 degrees. I feel that I can overclock it more upto 4.4/4.5 Ghz keeping the temps less than 80. Any suggestions guys? Should I just overclock it to 4.4/4.5 or sell this for cheap and get the i5 3570k?
m
l
!