Case/ HSF Selection Assistance Please

BernardC

Distinguished
Feb 15, 2010
Virgin Poster here guys so be gentle :sweat: I am gathering a parts list to build my first pc within the next 30 days or so. However I am having a difficult time choosing a case for it. The system itself is going to be an I7-920 6gb air cooled system with either a 5750 or 5850 video card. Sounds easy enough but unfortunately the tower compartment on my desk will only allow a case with the absolute maximum height of 19.5 inches :non:
I am more interested in function over form. I don't need flashy plastic trim accents. Priority is cooling, minimizing dust collection, and expandability for the non stop growth of future video cards. (they just keep getting larger and larger)

It would also be helpful if you all could recommend a solid HSF to go with your case recommendation. After reading the posts on Toms, apparently finding an aftermarket HSF that fits well is almost as a big of a challenge as case selection is.

Thanks for your time and assistance in advance.

Solution

lothdk

Distinguished
Jan 20, 2010
Without a budget it is kind of hard to recommend anything, but a good cooler for decent overclocking could be the Cooler Master Hyper 212 Plus.

As for cases with good cooling and dust filters, most mid tower cases are just around that 19.5 inches mark, and with the exhaust fans at the top that might prove a problem if they are flush against your table.
One you could look into is the Antec Three Hundred Illusion, and if you do not want the led fans, you can buy the regular Antec Three Hundred and add fans yourself should you find you need them for improved cooling.

The Lancool PC-K58 is a great case if you have the clearance for it, for a bit more you can get the Lancool PC-K62 which is the same case but with an added side window and extra fans.

Jairo

Distinguished
Feb 21, 2010

Hi Bernardc

HSF
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835103065

CASE - Air cooling for 10 fans - You will need a new desk about 1" to big for your desk.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811119216

Price point to quality I have not found anything that beats either of these.

Solution

BernardC

Distinguished
Feb 15, 2010
Thanks for the timely response but a new desk is out of the question. Only possibilities I have found so far from NZXT Panzerbox and Crafted Series Hades (Which is getting mixed reviews)

So I will gladly consider all options presented by the helpful community here as long as they don't involve replacing a $5k oak computer desk :(

Truhls

Distinguished
Dec 17, 2009
After a bit of searching i just found this.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811119137

Accommodates up to seven 120 mm fans for high-efficiency ventilation
Removable HDD racks provide for easy assembly
Cable management design for better cable routing and neatness
Tool-free user-friendliness for quick maintenance and upgrade
Roomy interior supports NVIDIA G80 SLI configuration

And dimensions

20.65" x 8.39" x 18.98"

Right on that 19" mark you wanted. Most of the reviews have it pegged pretty high to boot. Plus its roomy, so you can do future upgrades.

The only downside are the ports on the top, do you need those?