Sign in with
Your question

PSU recommendation

Last response: in Components
April 29, 2010 4:38:03 PM

Hi I've considered in buying a new PSU for my computer.

e6600 core duo 2.4ghz
320gb HD x2
ati hd4850
3gb ddr2 ram
DVD drive
conroexfire-esata2 (i think 20 pin cause its old)
No overclocking

Anyway, ive read an article on tom;s hardware that the recommended ampage for my card is 32AMps, i am currently running on a 300W supply with 16 AMps lol, how come my pc still works?

So if i get a better PSU would my pc be faster? ALso is 'Antec 430W EarthWatts' any good? it has only got 17AMps on each of the 12V rails.

how do rails work? does a rail mean 1 power connector or just the inside of the psu stuff. cause i was wondeirng if 1 12V goes into processor, and 1 12V goes into mothertboard isn;t the amps halved and wasted?

More about : psu recommendation

April 29, 2010 4:42:52 PM

just wanted to say that i am not interested in the modular psus or w/e they are called and that my pc can play bioshock2 max settings without freeze hang , no problems ever, but i am scared one day its gona explode :o 
Related resources
Can't find your answer ? Ask !
a b ) Power supply
April 29, 2010 4:52:10 PM

The official minimum power requirements for your graphics card are as follows:

450 Watt or greater power supply with 75 Watt 6-pin PCI Express® power connector recommended (550 Watt and two 6-pin connectors for ATI CrossFireX™ technology in dual mode)

This applies to the whole system not just the graphics card.

You need to think about if you are likely to Crossfire in the future. If not, then a good, reliable 500W PSU will probably do you, otherwise you're looking more towards a 600W model.

Corsair, Seasonic, Antec etc. are known for consistently good PSUs so these are your best bets. If you get a good quality PSU like the ones listed above, then you will have more than enough amps on the +12V rail to cope with your graphics card.

Hope this helps and best of luck!
April 29, 2010 4:55:38 PM

shubham1401 said:

It can run all high end single GPU. So if you plan to upgrade , you can use this PSU further.

*except a GTX480 or 5890
!