Gaming: SATA3 SSD 128gb or SATA3 HDD 1TB?

Status
Not open for further replies.

alex3064

Honorable
Feb 21, 2012
Building a gaming computer, not sure which one to get.

samsung 830 128gb ssd

or

1TB HDD Sata3/7200rpm/64M.

Suggest me one, and if possible explain me general performance difference in gaming between ssd and hdd

Solution

With games it is going to load the maps much faster and it may help a little with gameplay but the component that has the most effect on a game is the video card and then the internet connection as well. But all of the parts in a computer work together to render the gameplay and when you have one component the is really not keeping up with the other parts then it could effect the gameplay. I think it just makes sense to have a ssd and whether or not it is noticeable I'm sure there is something good from it. I think a small game is less likely to be affected by the...

tomatthe

Distinguished
These drives not not really comparable. One is ~8times the size of the other, and one is about ~5x the speed of the other.

Gaming on an ssd will basically get you quicker load times, but won't do anything beyond that. Personally I love having games on an ssd as they start up so quickly.

The games on a SSD will load the maps faster and with a 128gb SSD I would put the current game you are playing on it and your most important apps , so as not to fill it up. If you don't have any apps that you really use very nuch then you could put a couple of games and the rest on the 1tb hdd.

alex3064

Honorable
Feb 21, 2012

If i'm going to be installing windows 7 ultimate 64 on a ssd and other basic materials, how much space will it take over?

I wqas surprised when I loaded Windows 64 bit Ultimate on my computer as to how much space it took up with just the OS , it was around 20gb give or take a few gb. That's why when I see these people wanting to get a 60gb SSD for thier boot drive and loading Win 64 bit they don't realize they are using up almost half thier drive with the OS. It might be expensive but I feel that the optimum SSD for the boot drive is 240gb. :sol:

aqe040466

Distinguished
Nov 29, 2011

In SSD you are limited in space, but more responsive in openning a program(blazing fast) while in HDD you will have plenty of space for storing games, data and programs, but in gaming? It is solely dependent to a Video card, High end video cards will give you a better performance specially when you SLI or CrossfireX.

With games it is going to load the maps much faster and it may help a little with gameplay but the component that has the most effect on a game is the video card and then the internet connection as well. But all of the parts in a computer work together to render the gameplay and when you have one component the is really not keeping up with the other parts then it could effect the gameplay. I think it just makes sense to have a ssd and whether or not it is noticeable I'm sure there is something good from it. I think a small game is less likely to be affected by the SSD and the huge games with tons of files and video might be better with a SSD.

Solution
Status
Not open for further replies.