Sign in with
Your question
Closed

Gaming: SATA3 SSD 128gb or SATA3 HDD 1TB?

Last response: in Storage
March 2, 2012 5:20:25 PM

Building a gaming computer, not sure which one to get.

samsung 830 128gb ssd

or

1TB HDD Sata3/7200rpm/64M.

Suggest me one, and if possible explain me general performance difference in gaming between ssd and hdd
a b G Storage
March 2, 2012 6:14:49 PM

These drives not not really comparable. One is ~8times the size of the other, and one is about ~5x the speed of the other.

Gaming on an ssd will basically get you quicker load times, but won't do anything beyond that. Personally I love having games on an ssd as they start up so quickly.
Score
a b 4 Gaming
a c 119 G Storage
March 2, 2012 7:59:14 PM

The games on a SSD will load the maps faster and with a 128gb SSD I would put the current game you are playing on it and your most important apps , so as not to fill it up. If you don't have any apps that you really use very nuch then you could put a couple of games and the rest on the 1tb hdd.
Score
Related resources
March 3, 2012 3:15:39 AM

inzone said:
The games on a SSD will load the maps faster and with a 128gb SSD I would put the current game you are playing on it and your most important apps , so as not to fill it up. If you don't have any apps that you really use very nuch then you could put a couple of games and the rest on the 1tb hdd.

If i'm going to be installing windows 7 ultimate 64 on a ssd and other basic materials, how much space will it take over?
Score
a b G Storage
March 3, 2012 3:00:57 PM

~30gigs for Win7, updates, office, and other basic apps.
Score
a b 4 Gaming
a c 119 G Storage
March 3, 2012 3:07:38 PM

I wqas surprised when I loaded Windows 64 bit Ultimate on my computer as to how much space it took up with just the OS , it was around 20gb give or take a few gb. That's why when I see these people wanting to get a 60gb SSD for thier boot drive and loading Win 64 bit they don't realize they are using up almost half thier drive with the OS. It might be expensive but I feel that the optimum SSD for the boot drive is 240gb. :sol: 
Score
March 3, 2012 11:21:17 PM

from what i heard windows 64 ultimate runs its best on ssd sata3, since it designed to or so. from mid-budget point of view, its not really worth it as a gamer, right?
Score
March 3, 2012 11:27:26 PM

alex3064 said:
Building a gaming computer, not sure which one to get.

samsung 830 128gb ssd

or

1TB HDD Sata3/7200rpm/64M.

Suggest me one, and if possible explain me general performance difference in gaming between ssd and hdd

In SSD you are limited in space, but more responsive in openning a program(blazing fast) while in HDD you will have plenty of space for storing games, data and programs, but in gaming? It is solely dependent to a Video card, High end video cards will give you a better performance specially when you SLI or CrossfireX.
Score

Best solution

a b 4 Gaming
a c 119 G Storage
March 4, 2012 12:07:05 AM

alex3064 said:
from what i heard windows 64 ultimate runs its best on ssd sata3, since it designed to or so. from mid-budget point of view, its not really worth it as a gamer, right?

With games it is going to load the maps much faster and it may help a little with gameplay but the component that has the most effect on a game is the video card and then the internet connection as well. But all of the parts in a computer work together to render the gameplay and when you have one component the is really not keeping up with the other parts then it could effect the gameplay. I think it just makes sense to have a ssd and whether or not it is noticeable I'm sure there is something good from it. I think a small game is less likely to be affected by the SSD and the huge games with tons of files and video might be better with a SSD.
March 11, 2012 6:56:02 AM

Best answer selected by alex3064.
Score
a b 4 Gaming
a b G Storage
March 11, 2012 10:23:50 AM

This topic has been closed by Maziar
Score
!