Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Getting 1600mhz dram to run at 1666 or better

Last response: in Memory
October 5, 2010 8:16:25 PM

I was wanting to oc my ram a little and I have it running at 1600mhz at the moment (stock timings and speed) my mobo has 2 slots for 1666+ ddr3. If I were to plug the 1600mhz ram into these slots would it allow me to increase the multiplier to 1666 or better?

RAM: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231277
Mobo: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813128397

More about : 1600mhz dram run 1666

a b } Memory
October 5, 2010 9:37:34 PM

Yes, your mobo will support up to 1800 Mhz. So really this is about your own abilities to push the limits of your RAM.

If you plug these Ripjaws in (good choice, btw) you should be able to finagle the settings, voltage, etc.. into a higher speed.
m
l
October 8, 2010 3:26:21 AM

thank you for the quick reply (and since this is one of my first builds on a budget glad to know i chose well for ram). I haven't OCed ram before just a quick idea of what voltage and settings to start with would be nice and if I plug it in to those slots would it be as simple as changing the multiplier (it's at x8.00 atm)? Thanks in advance for the answers!
m
l
Related resources
a b } Memory
October 8, 2010 4:47:04 AM

OC'ing RAM can be very tricky. As with any OC'ing you have to just be very careful pushing up the voltage very, very slowly as well as playing with timings and the mult until you've found a good STABLE ground which you feel comfortable.

It will just take time and patience, but after you do it a couple times you start gaining valuable experience that will make overclocking just that much easier the next time.
m
l
October 8, 2010 4:52:31 AM

thanks a lot! appreciate the input ill get to work on that :D 
m
l
October 8, 2010 5:50:06 PM

one last thing this being the first time im ocing ram should i leave the timings on auto for the time being
m
l
a b } Memory
October 8, 2010 8:50:29 PM

Yeah, I would but then again I'm very cautious after I caused some major damage to a system a long time ago when I was but an over-eager tech-nerd. Leaving timings on auto allows you to limit the variables that might cause instability, etc... Just work a few controls at a time. I liken it to trying to fly a plane, you don't jump into the pilot seat and hit every button then wonder which one didn't work... you just work it slowly and surely.
m
l
October 9, 2010 3:27:22 AM

I have a question about this. Is the process of overclocking a processor the same as doing it to RAM in that the computer will crash when it can't handle the changes in the multiplier? That way I will know if the RAM is clocked too high. One more question - is there any correlation at all to overclocking ram and overclocking a processor in that the ram can't be overclocked past a certain point based on how much the cpu is overclocked, and vice-versa?
m
l
a b } Memory
October 9, 2010 7:05:40 AM

Dragonfly522, I appreciate the question but if you could repost that question as a different thread in the Overclocking forum you'll find much wider help and we can work on your specific problem instead of tagging along a thread that was specifically about another user's RAM specs.

All the best! Good Luck!
m
l
October 9, 2010 5:03:16 PM

OK before I do this would you happen to know a safe max for the voltage? it is currently 1.5v. And I've read on some forums that dual channel becomes void when you oc. Would this happen to my ram?
m
l

Best solution

a c 347 } Memory
October 9, 2010 5:16:17 PM

If OC'ing your RAM you should do it 100% manually, initially leave the CAS, and Voltage as per stock and only change the multiplier. A 15-20% OC is realitively easy, but keep in mind to add voltage only if Memtest or Prime95 fails or obviously a post failure/BSOD and then 1-2 notches (0.1V). Next you can try lower CAS - lower by 1 ( eg 9-9-9..8-8-8) if you raise CAS then you defeat the OC.

Good Luck!
October 10, 2010 5:19:24 AM

Thank you all for the quick and helpfull answers!
m
l
a b } Memory
October 10, 2010 9:24:00 PM

feel free to select a best answer if you feel comfortable doing so!
m
l
October 11, 2010 10:18:10 PM

Best answer selected by infirmumdeum.
m
l
!