Graphics card: PCI or AGP for an older computer with a p4i45GV MOBO

kir_B

Distinguished
Feb 12, 2010
Hi folks. I've been reluctant to ask this question, as I thought if I dug around on the net enough I would find my answer Myself. I think I've got a pretty good idea, but I need some confirmation before making a commitment. I appreciate any and all input, thanks in advance.

My niece has an older computer that is equipped with a p4i45gv {near as I can tell, it's not Version 3.0 or 5.0, but the original} and an intel 2.4 ghz processor. the manual is still available online via a google search, but I couldn't find it on their website and they're shut down for the Chinese new year {8 days. wish we could shut down our countries for 8 days every new years}. It's got three pci slots and one agp slot all ready to be used.

It is running a dual boot with Windows XP, and Ubuntu which is where it gets the major majority of it's use. Because it's running Linux the majority of the time, the graphics card has got be an nVidia card, which just work much better than the Radeons etc.. The card is needed for lightish gaming and to take over some of the graphical duties from the main processor.

The graphics card that we're thinking of purchasing, the "PNY VCG62256PXB GeForce 6200 256MB 64-bit GDDR2 PCI Video Card - Retail", appears to only require a regular pci slot according to "newegg".

I'm wondering if this is going to work in this system, or am I missing something in all the research that I've done.

I appreciate any input anyone might have on this topic, as I'm very new to the inner workings of computer.

Thanks so much everyone. Kir_b :sweat:

P.S. Here is the download link for the manual if needed:
http://download.asrock.com/manual/P4i45GV%20R5.0.pdf

Solution
Hey, I have the Rev5.0 version of this board and I've been messing around with it. I want to let you know, there is no AGP slot on the board, only an AGI (ASRock's specific graphics interface that looks like AGP). I bought a XFX 4650 AGP card and it will not work, the list of compatible VGA cards on ASRock's website are the only ones that will fit in the AGP slot.

Personally, I'm going to return the 4650 and pick up a 9400GT 1GB PCI card.

Wolfshadw

Titan
The AGP slot is going to give you more bandwidth, allowing for smoother game play from better cards, but if you don't need anything more than the 6200, I doubt it's going to make much difference which way you go; either PCI or AGP.

-Wolf sends

kir_B

Distinguished
Feb 12, 2010
Given the information given by "Wolfshadw", I've gone and done some more shopping, this time for agp cards. :sweat:

I've come across an agp card that I think should work, but it doesn't exist in the online owners manual {I don't know just how up to date it is}.

I would love and appreciate any input all you folks might be able to give concerning my new choice.

Here it is:
3D Fuzion 3DFR66256 GeForce 6600 256MB 128-bit DDR AGP 4X/8X Video Card - Retail

Thanks so much folks. :pt1cable: Kir_b :hello:

Wolfshadw

Titan
The 6600 is far and away the better choice over the 6200. I didn't mention it earlier because I wasn't sure you really needed a better card for "lightish gaming". Additionally, more powerful graphic cards require more powerful power supplies. The card you're looking at requires at least a 300 watt power supply. Does your niece's system have that?

Not too long ago, I had a system very similar to your niece's; and old Dell GX270 that I dropped an FX5200 into. I spent more on the graphics card than I did buying that computer, but it did what I needed it to do. Do you really need to go with the better card?

Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying "Don't get the 6600". In fact, I recommend it. It's just that there are more considerations to take into account when more powerful graphic cards are involved.

-Wolf sends

kir_B

Distinguished
Feb 12, 2010
Thanks guys. The box appears to have between a 250 & a 350 watt power supply Now, I'm just judging by size in comparison to the old broken power source that I have laying around from another old computer's life.

I figure that it's safe to assume that it is at least a 250 watt power supply unit and using the "eXtreme Power Supply Calculator Lite v2.5", it's using about 162 watts. Also, according to the "GFXpowerchartby3d.png", the "6600" uses less than 30 watts at peak. So, it should be alright for a while at least. If not, I've got an old power supply that can be used to take over a couple of the duties currently assigned to it's present PS.

Worst case, we'll have to pick up another power supply at some point

Thanks so much guys. I'll post the results in a couple of weeks.

:hello: Peace. Kir_b :wahoo:

airplaneman_58

Distinguished
Feb 17, 2010
Hey, I have the Rev5.0 version of this board and I've been messing around with it. I want to let you know, there is no AGP slot on the board, only an AGI (ASRock's specific graphics interface that looks like AGP). I bought a XFX 4650 AGP card and it will not work, the list of compatible VGA cards on ASRock's website are the only ones that will fit in the AGP slot.

Personally, I'm going to return the 4650 and pick up a 9400GT 1GB PCI card.

Solution

kir_B

Distinguished
Feb 12, 2010

Thanks so much for the extremely timely information. You posted your response approximately 20 minutes after my order was placed. Fortunately, I ordered from Newegg.ca, so I cancelled the one card and ordered a PNY VCGFX522PEB GeForce FX 5200 256MB 128-bit DDR PCI Video Card - Retail. I called their customer service at 5:00 AM the next morning and got everything changed {a different card+a case fan and the new card}, so that it was sent as one order instead of two orders.

Only a few more days and time will tell if Newegg.ca's customer service is as good as it sounded on the phone. I'll post how everything turns out.

Thanks again for the very valuable and timely tip. Kir_b

kir_B

Distinguished
Feb 12, 2010
I want to thank everyone that contributed to my learning experience and apologize for the lengthy delay in finishing off this thread. We received the card over a month ago, installed it and then installed the required drivers in the Windows XP without any problems.

We then went to do the same in the more frequently used Linux Ubuntu system. This however, didn't go very well at all and is solely responsible for the long delay that this post has taken. We've tried numerous things, but it appears that the PNY VCGFX522PEB GeForce FX 5200 256MB 128-bit DDR PCI Video Card is incapable of running in what appears to be, any Linux Distro! We've tried several different linux's but to no avail. We've also tried installing different Distributions with the card installed, but again with no joy.

We've yet to successfully compile a Kernel, but when we are successful, I'll post the results.

Thanks again everyone. Kir_b :sweat:

P.S. Any ideas are welcome.