Sign in with
Your question

Iomega Home Media Drive Erase itself!?

Last response: in Storage
March 2, 2012 7:40:26 PM

I have a Home Media Drive (Iomega-0A53C3) and have been using it for a year or so. My wife had some difficulty pulling up an address list the other day, so checked it out and couldn't connect to the drive. There was an issue with our router, which was preventing access to the web, too. I was able to resolve the router issue with a Firmware update. I still couldn't connect to the Iomega drive, so turned it off manually. But it came back up, so thought we were good.

Then I noticed the drive was empty! .0008 GB of used space... All the folder shares are still there, for videos, music, public, etc. but THERE IS NO DATA. Is it really gone? How did it get deleted? I'm the only one in the house who can do anything with this, so I know nobody else was tinkering...

Please let me know if there is anything I am missing. Is it not seeing the files? I'm not looking forward to starting taxes over again, or losing 4 yrs of my daughter's pictures (this was the back up to my PC)...

Thanks for anything you can share.

Lucas

[bump]
March 2, 2012 7:47:02 PM

I guess this should be in the NAS/RAID forum. Sorry. Can someone move it?
m
l
March 14, 2012 9:47:28 PM

i have had exactly the same happen, the main folders are there but the files have disappeared and the drive saying it is empty.
m
l
Related resources
March 14, 2012 9:48:18 PM

can anyone help at all?
m
l
March 15, 2012 3:28:50 AM

I gave up and had someone recover the data. Yeah, I paid for it, but it was worth it when I realized what WASN'T backed up.
m
l
March 28, 2012 2:33:47 AM

This happened exactly the same way.

This is unbelievable that a device used to backup can happen this thing "losing" everything.

Someone found a way to recover that, besides of paying to have the files back?

Thanks
m
l
April 26, 2012 8:25:10 PM

I had this same problem and bought a SATA dock in order to plug the disected NAS harddrive in it to use with a file recovery program. So far, I have been able to recover what looks like all of the files, but not with file and folder names. By using a service, were you able to recover the files with original names/folders?
m
l
April 26, 2012 8:27:02 PM

lukerk said:
I gave up and had someone recover the data. Yeah, I paid for it, but it was worth it when I realized what WASN'T backed up.

What service did you use to recover the files? Were your files recovered with names/folders? How much did it cost to recover? Do you know what they used to recover it?

Thanks!
Alan
m
l
May 8, 2012 3:37:42 PM

alanhebert said:
What service did you use to recover the files? Were your files recovered with names/folders? How much did it cost to recover? Do you know what they used to recover it?

Thanks!
Alan

Hi, Alan -
Following your thread, and I've run into the same problem - have you received or found any further clues/solutions?
Thank you,
Julian
m
l
May 8, 2012 5:56:55 PM

jmendoza said:
Hi, Alan -
Following your thread, and I've run into the same problem - have you received or found any further clues/solutions?
Thank you,
Julian

I have had poor luck with several recovery programs that claim to recover ext2/3 drives. They have recovered my files, but have not recovered the folders I had in there. All programs so far have recovered the files, but renamed them and lost all file properties that are useful to me. If I don't have dates/names on my 7 years worth of pictures anymore, it will be very difficult to restore the structure. I am hopeful in the scan that is currently underway using DiskInternals Partition Recovery. It has identified over 1700 folders already, so I am hopeful that it will be able to stay the course and truly restore. I'll post the results.
m
l
May 9, 2012 3:48:51 PM

The recovery continues to get stuck at a point on the recovery and hang. It is a 2 TB drive, so I'm not sure if it's the RAM on my machine, or some attribute of the data that's causing the problem. I've tried it on a 4GB RAM machine and a 2GB machine with similar results...
m
l
August 22, 2012 8:14:59 PM

Hi fellow victims of Iomega,

I had the exact same issue - after restarting my iomega home media drive, all folders were showing as empty in the storage manager application.

I did hours of research, and even installed ubuntu to read the drive directly as a linux hard drive. Folders were still showing empty. I finally concluded that data restoration was the way to go, although I had some concerns about losing file/folder structure. I tried photorec (from cgsecurity.org), and it found files but did not seem capable of restoring file structure. Note that iomega uses XFS, and *not* EXT for the file system on this drive. Perhaps that's one reason I could not read the files from Ubuntu.

I kept searching for other tools and found an inexpensive XFS recovery tool that is doing a fantastic job of recovering both files and my file system structure: Raise Data Recovery for XFS, available from Avangate (http://www.ufsexplorer.com/rdr_xfs.php) for just over 20 Euros. It took 7 hours to scan through about 1.2 TB of data on the Iomega drive, and it is restoring the approx. 24,000 files to an external 2TB drive right now. I'll have to do some manual re-naming of directories, but that's about the extent of the pain.

Hope his helps.
m
l
August 24, 2012 3:00:28 PM

I AM SO THANKFUL for this post! With this software I am able to see everything from the old version of the formatting. Similar to sgerwinat, I have to rename some of the folders, and some are positioned in different places, but they are all intact! Thank you! This works for this issue!

sgerwinat said:
Hi fellow victims of Iomega,

I had the exact same issue - after restarting my iomega home media drive, all folders were showing as empty in the storage manager application.

I did hours of research, and even installed ubuntu to read the drive directly as a linux hard drive. Folders were still showing empty. I finally concluded that data restoration was the way to go, although I had some concerns about losing file/folder structure. I tried photorec (from cgsecurity.org), and it found files but did not seem capable of restoring file structure. Note that iomega uses XFS, and *not* EXT for the file system on this drive. Perhaps that's one reason I could not read the files from Ubuntu.

I kept searching for other tools and found an inexpensive XFS recovery tool that is doing a fantastic job of recovering both files and my file system structure: Raise Data Recovery for XFS, available from Avangate (http://www.ufsexplorer.com/rdr_xfs.php) for just over 20 Euros. It took 7 hours to scan through about 1.2 TB of data on the Iomega drive, and it is restoring the approx. 24,000 files to an external 2TB drive right now. I'll have to do some manual re-naming of directories, but that's about the extent of the pain.

Hope his helps.

m
l
January 2, 2013 4:19:17 PM

OMG! I too have suffered the same fate. It seams like these drives from IOMEGA are prone to this issue happening! All I did was reboot the drive because I couldnt see it on the network and poof! All my years of data were gone!

Thank you so much to everyone for posting this answer! I will try it. Iomega should be punished somehow for this! from now on I will not be buying any more Iomega products! This was supposed to be my secure backup solution, not my weakest link.

IOMEGA SUCKS!
m
l
January 26, 2013 8:49:56 AM

IT Outsource said:
OMG! I too have suffered the same fate. It seams like these drives from IOMEGA are prone to this issue happening! All I did was reboot the drive because I couldnt see it on the network and poof! All my years of data were gone!

Thank you so much to everyone for posting this answer! I will try it. Iomega should be punished somehow for this! from now on I will not be buying any more Iomega products! This was supposed to be my secure backup solution, not my weakest link.

IOMEGA SUCKS!

I have just experienced the same disaster, and like you are so grateful for this advice and those who have shared their encouraging experiences.

How are you getting along with your recovery sqerwinat?

The http://www.ufsexplorer.com site looks very professional and reliable.

It is a pity fom my point of view that they do not list the products and something like - if you need to recover from this problem on this drive type then buy this version of our software. . . though.

There are a numbing range of options using lots of technical terms that mean nothing to me, and a choice from 5 Raise products.

I asume that I need to buy this one
UFS Explorer Standard Recovery (Standard Recovery Classic)
universal solution for various data loss cases. This multi-purpose tool allows to recover lost files from most operating and file systems after accidental file deletion or logical damages of a file system. The software is adjusted to work with hard drives, external storages, disk images, virtual disks with equal efficiency. RAID-recovery is possible via plug-ins?

Can you confirm? Any help MUCH apreciated!

m
l
!