Sign in with
Your question
Solved

What size for my windows System

Last response: in Storage
March 2, 2012 11:40:02 PM

hello, its brandon,
i'm getting windows 7 ultimate 64 bit for my new gaming computer and i was thinking, would it matter if i was to put the os on a hdd and then upgrade it onto an ssd later
its a gaming computer so its going to playing games and everything but i was just wondering, what size should i get for W7 Ultimate 64bit and a few games, ones like battlefield 3, Starcraft, warcraft 3 and many others???
my budget..well there isn't really one, but i just need something that can hold them games and the os, but be cheap enough so i can afford it when i want to get it,
any replies are helpful
thanks, brandon :) 

More about : size windows system

Best solution

a c 119 G Storage
March 3, 2012 1:55:53 AM

If you don't have a budget then how do you know what you can aford? If you are building a computer then why don't you get the SSD now? How many games do you want to put on the drive?
I would get the SSD now and if you have to, get a regular hdd later.

Intel 520 Series Cherryville SSDSC2CW180A3K5 2.5" 180GB SATA III MLC Internal Solid State Drive (SSD)
$339.99 and free shipping.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

This drive will hold the OS and 10 - 15 games depending on what the games are.
a b G Storage
March 3, 2012 7:05:38 AM

Right now the best price per GB is with 120GB SSDs. This gives you plenty of room for Windows and some games, everything else can go on a hard drive.

If you have a choice, install the SSD when you build the machine. It's easier than adding the SSD later on.
m
l
Related resources
March 3, 2012 7:19:56 AM

The 128gb Crucial M4 price has dropped to $150ish on newegg. Thats a great system and 3 most played games drive.

But to answer your question, you will struggle to keep Win 7 and very many programs on less room than that.
m
l
March 6, 2012 10:41:21 PM

Best answer selected by Braxeo.
m
l
!