Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Upgrading to 8GB

Last response: in Memory
October 6, 2010 1:27:38 AM

So I have a Sony Vaio EB Series laptop, and have recently upgraded my HDD to OCZ Vertex 2 120gb SSD. I liked the performance boost. How much practical use would 8gb have over 4gb? It's currently on sale right now: http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E1682...
Does that price seem decent? For the level of performance gain I'd get from this?
Thanks

More about : upgrading 8gb

a b } Memory
October 6, 2010 1:54:03 AM

8gb will be more plentiful resources to do multimedia & gaming purposes.

There should be only a little gain over performance, but, it will make you able to run much more apps at the same time. Like running Photoshop, encoding video, and running Crysis 2 at the same time.

Hmm, if you can plug the memory separately after, I suggest you go with 4 gb first to see if it is adequate enough for you. If later you need more, you can buy this another 4 gb.
m
l
a b } Memory
October 6, 2010 1:55:20 AM

You would need to be running a 64 bit version of Windows to use 8 Gig of memory. You won’t see any difference in performance on general usage or games by having the extra 4 Gig. You will only get any benefit from the extra 4 Gig if you are running applications that need lots of memory such as CAD programs or video editing programs.
m
l
Related resources
October 6, 2010 2:29:23 AM

Hmmm, interesting. Well, would having the 8gb installed waste more power? Even when it's not being utilized? And if I purchase 1 stick of 4gb, would my performance improve over the 2x2gb I have right now?
m
l
a b } Memory
October 6, 2010 3:16:48 AM

The performance would probably go down. By having two sticks of memory you would get a small increase of speed over a single stick of memory if the two sticks were running in dual channel mode.
m
l

Best solution

a b } Memory
October 6, 2010 3:33:16 AM

yes, if you put one 4 GB so there are 3 sticks in your system (2+2-4). The system become run at single channel because one memory is 'un-paired'. Hence decrease the speed, maybe 3~5%.
to run in dual-channel, must put in pair. (2+2-2+2 or 2+2-4+4).
a c 163 } Memory
October 6, 2010 3:13:02 PM

Easy answer?

Unless that u use many Adobe or Autocad applications at the same time the 8GB are a waste of money.
m
l
October 13, 2010 2:50:15 AM

Best answer selected by DeathAbyss.
m
l
!