Solved

Upgrading to 8GB

So I have a Sony Vaio EB Series laptop, and have recently upgraded my HDD to OCZ Vertex 2 120gb SSD. I liked the performance boost. How much practical use would 8gb have over 4gb? It's currently on sale right now: http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820220476&cm_re=ddr3_sodimm_4gb-_-20-220-476-_-Product
Does that price seem decent? For the level of performance gain I'd get from this?
Thanks
7 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about upgrading
  1. 8gb will be more plentiful resources to do multimedia & gaming purposes.

There should be only a little gain over performance, but, it will make you able to run much more apps at the same time. Like running Photoshop, encoding video, and running Crysis 2 at the same time.

Hmm, if you can plug the memory separately after, I suggest you go with 4 gb first to see if it is adequate enough for you. If later you need more, you can buy this another 4 gb.
  2. You would need to be running a 64 bit version of Windows to use 8 Gig of memory. You won’t see any difference in performance on general usage or games by having the extra 4 Gig. You will only get any benefit from the extra 4 Gig if you are running applications that need lots of memory such as CAD programs or video editing programs.
  3. Hmmm, interesting. Well, would having the 8gb installed waste more power? Even when it's not being utilized? And if I purchase 1 stick of 4gb, would my performance improve over the 2x2gb I have right now?
  4. The performance would probably go down. By having two sticks of memory you would get a small increase of speed over a single stick of memory if the two sticks were running in dual channel mode.
  5. Best answer
    yes, if you put one 4 GB so there are 3 sticks in your system (2+2-4). The system become run at single channel because one memory is 'un-paired'. Hence decrease the speed, maybe 3~5%.
    to run in dual-channel, must put in pair. (2+2-2+2 or 2+2-4+4).
  6. Easy answer?

Unless that u use many Adobe or Autocad applications at the same time the 8GB are a waste of money.
  7. Best answer selected by DeathAbyss.
Ask a new question

Read More

Memory Performance Hard Drives Sony Vaio Product