Sign in with
Your question

Complete noob at OC needs help.

Last response: in Overclocking
December 5, 2012 9:11:08 AM

Hey folks!

My rig is as follows:

Motherboard: ASUS P8P67 Deluxe B3 - ATX / Intel P67 / DDR3 / 3xPCI-E / SATA 3.0 / USB 3.0 / Firewire
Processor (CPU): Intel Core i7-2600K 3,4GHz / 8MB / Socket 1155 (Boxed) (Liquid cooled, home made)
RAM: 16GB (4/4/4/4) Corsair 1600Mhz
Power Supply (PSU): OCZ PowerSupply (PSU) ZX Series 1250W
WaterCooling Heatsink/fan (H2O): Home made liquid cooling for CPU, 2x GPU's.
Graphics Card (GPU): 2x Sapphire Radeon HD 6970 2GB (21187-00-40R) - PCI-E / DVI / HDMI / DP (Both are liquid cooled, home made)

And I have no clue to overclock, I've read a few topics but seems like an ocean of info.

With my motherboard there seems to be a TPU function and I've enabled it and ran CPUID and it says I'm at stock 3.4Ghz but when I look at core speed it says 4430MHz and before I turned on my TPU it says 3400MHz and in my bios under advanced settings its set to 4430Mhz.

And everytime I start my computer it starts and then 4-5 seconds later it shuts down for 2-3 seconds and then it turn itself back on and starts up fine, why?

I hope there's a few techies out there that can lend a fella a hand here, I'm so lost and I don't know whats wrong.

I'm trying to get this TPU function to work, help me please.

Thanks!

http://tinypic.com/view.php?pic=2sahv0w&s=6

More about : complete noob

a c 95 à CPUs
a c 225 K Overclocking
December 5, 2012 10:42:01 AM

Study the guides until you understand before you mess something up, that's what we took the time to write the guides for, but your responsibility is to study first then do your overclocking, once you understand what you're doing.
December 5, 2012 12:51:58 PM

4Ryan6 said:
Study the guides until you understand before you mess something up, that's what we took the time to write the guides for, but your responsibility is to study first then do your overclocking, once you understand what you're doing.

I'm learning as I go but I don't understand why my TPU switch is not overclocking, maby someone els here have used it and can shed some knowledge about it, there's fairly little knowledge anywhere about that switch and the info thats there its fairly vague.

ASUS own manual for the motherboard isnt very helpful either since it's not really describing anything other than what it is rather than how to use it.
Related resources
a c 103 à CPUs
a c 190 K Overclocking
December 5, 2012 6:46:26 PM

Overclocking is one discipline where learning as you go requires an inordinate amount of luck, and as I have personally used up all the overclocking related luck in the multiverse,
its back to square one for you,

Read the sticky, google parts you are unclear on and read them until you understand them,
Read the sticky again, noting that you now seem to recognise parts and are familiar with the meaning,
keep reading it until you know what everything in there means or relates to,
If i told you your TPU Switch has boosted your B-Clk to 140 and upped the multiplier but its ok because the increased Nb-v and bus multiplier has balanced things out,
I expect you to have gone 'Uh?' about three words into that sentence,
one of TPU's amazing Overclocking features is its remarkably aggressive voltage attitude, and in the sticky you are told that whilst temeratures are hazardous to Cpu's, volts can destroy them in a nanosecond,
you may have caused permanent damage to your Pc by messing with something you didn't understand,
as Ryan so very often says, in overclocking Learn first, then do
because there is no going back once you have caused damage, and it can get very expensive very quickly to 'just pick things up as I go along',
Asus manual will be more helpful, once you understand what it is that the TPU feature is doing, and why,
and the O/c stickies will help you realise that we don't use features like Ai suite, Amd overdrive, Tpu or Cpu boost, and why.
Moto
December 6, 2012 12:47:00 AM

Motopsychojdn said:
Overclocking is one discipline where learning as you go requires an inordinate amount of luck, and as I have personally used up all the overclocking related luck in the multiverse,

Read the sticky, google parts you are unclear on and read them until you understand them,
Read the sticky again, noting that you now seem to recognise parts and are familiar with the meaning,
If i told you your TPU Switch has boosted your B-Clk to 140 and upped the multiplier but its ok because the increased Nb-v and bus multiplier has balanced things out,
one of TPU's amazing Overclocking features is its remarkably aggressive voltage attitude, and in the sticky you are told that whilst temeratures are hazardous to Cpu's, volts can destroy them in a nanosecond,
you may have caused permanent damage to your Pc by messing with something you didn't understand,
because there is no going back once you have caused damage, and it can get very expensive very quickly to 'just pick things up as I go along',
Asus manual will be more helpful, once you understand what it is that the TPU feature is doing, and why,
and the O/c stickies will help you realise that we don't use features like Ai suite, Amd overdrive, Tpu or Cpu boost, and why.
Moto

I'm not entering random digits into the bios for my overclocking.. I only switched the TPU because it been said in the manual and and pratically everwhere that it's a safe overclock, only assumption you could make then is that it's safe and I don't tend to overclock manually, I wanted this feature to work as intended.. unfortunatelly it doesnt.

That was my only concern, to get my TPU working without adjusting thing manually. Now I've read the ASUS manual and to be quite frank, it's garbage information, it doesnt go into any depths at all. It only explains what is it and what great features it has but no information how it works and what it exacly does.

There's scattered info around the TPU switch on the net but there's no really solid source for information.. it's just more people like me asking questions about it getting fairly random answers from users that have used it and screwed around with it, I however wont and that's why I'm asking people out there to give any feedback they have from their own experience.

I didn't really want a textbook 101 how to overclock, there's plenty of guides for that here that I can read.

But I appreciate your response.

Thanks.
a c 103 à CPUs
a c 190 K Overclocking
December 6, 2012 5:21:11 AM

I'm sorry, reading my post back it does come across as harsh so for that I apologise,
I was trying to get across that blindly pushing the Oc button without understanding what its doing is risky, even mobo manufacturers state that they won't be held responsible for damage caused using those functions,
I imagine the Asus blurb in your manual is along the lines of
'up to 25% boost with TPU!!! press 'X' when booting for fast results'
or similar without mentioning how, which as you say is annoying, just enough info to get you into trouble lol
Moto
a c 95 à CPUs
a c 225 K Overclocking
December 6, 2012 9:57:28 AM

Motopsychojdn said:

Moto

Congratulations Moto!

That is one of the best explanations I have heard of the importance of taking the time to learn and understand first, and how to go about it by Googling specific terms you may not understand.

The noob to overclocking gets excited from seeing everyone else success and wants that same success themselves, sometimes throwing caution to the wind to get there, sometimes they are lucky and sometimes they're not.

Seasoned overclockers don't even see the worth and time and effort, in even writing an unlocked multiplier overclocking guide, but it is there to help the unlearned learn, what and how to do it.

But they must at least know what the guide entails and what each terminology stands for, or the guide is useless quibble to them, because they cannot understand what they need to know to get their foot in the door of basic overclocking knowledge.

Once the basics are under their belts, they have a good foundation to understand overall overclocking principles and can proceed onward to do whatever they want in the overclocking world.

Knowledge is the key, to the door of the overclocking world!

To Nazrudin;
No one is trying to offend you, just stressing the importance of learning what you're doing, so you do not damage your hardware by taking quick fixes and shortcuts, that could cost you in the long run!

ASUS is not the only motherboard manufacturer using the motherboard overclocking switch and in my opinion it's garbage crap, the only way they could possibly guarantee it to work for you is if they gave a list of other components to buy with the motherboard, like for example the memory modules they used to set up it's features.

Overclocking is very easy once you understand how to do it but flipping a switch on the motherboard may work or may not work, and ASUS just uses it as a lazy sales option, they don't really care if it works for you or not because it's expendable and not an important operational part of the motherboard anyway.

I doubt very seriously ASUS or MSI, or any other brand that has the switch, will completely replace a motherboard because the overclock switch doesn't work properly, they'll just tell you not to use it.

If overclocking is truly getting your attention, manual BIOS overclocking is the best way to squeeze every bit of performance you can get from your CPU, ending up with a 24/7 rock solid overclock, and that sir is the way to go approaching overclocking.

That way you get the performance you want!

Not the crumbs that fall from ASUS's table!
December 6, 2012 12:56:52 PM

4Ryan6 said:
Congratulations Moto!

That is one of the best explanations I have heard of the importance of taking the time to learn and understand first, and how to go about it by Googling specific terms you may not understand.

The noob to overclocking gets excited from seeing everyone else success and wants that same success themselves, sometimes throwing caution to the wind to get there, sometimes they are lucky and sometimes they're not.

Seasoned overclockers don't even see the worth and time and effort, in even writing an unlocked multiplier overclocking guide, but it is there to help the unlearned learn, what and how to do it.

But they must at least know what the guide entails and what each terminology stands for, or the guide is useless quibble to them, because they cannot understand what they need to know to get their foot in the door of basic overclocking knowledge.

Once the basics are under their belts, they have a good foundation to understand overall overclocking principles and can proceed onward to do whatever they want in the overclocking world.

Knowledge is the key, to the door of the overclocking world!

To Nazrudin;
No one is trying to offend you, just stressing the importance of learning what you're doing, so you do not damage your hardware by taking quick fixes and shortcuts, that could cost you in the long run!

ASUS is not the only motherboard manufacturer using the motherboard overclocking switch and in my opinion it's garbage crap, the only way they could possibly guarantee it to work for you is if they gave a list of other components to buy with the motherboard, like for example the memory modules they used to set up it's features.

Overclocking is very easy once you understand how to do it but flipping a switch on the motherboard may work or may not work, and ASUS just uses it as a lazy sales option, they don't really care if it works for you or not because it's expendable and not an important operational part of the motherboard anyway.

I doubt very seriously ASUS or MSI, or any other brand that has the switch, will completely replace a motherboard because the overclock switch doesn't work properly, they'll just tell you not to use it.

If overclocking is truly getting your attention, manual BIOS overclocking is the best way to squeeze every bit of performance you can get from your CPU, ending up with a 24/7 rock solid overclock, and that sir is the way to go approaching overclocking.

That way you get the performance you want!

Not the crumbs that fall from ASUS's table!

Fair enough, it seems like I have to sit down and read some then after I clean my waterblocks and refill. Seems like a good thing to do.

Conclusion: TPU Utility sucks, got it.

Thanks. :bounce: 
a c 103 à CPUs
a c 190 K Overclocking
December 6, 2012 3:02:29 PM

Thank you for the commendation Ry, means a lot coming from you to be praised on the subject :) 
**Edit, ""Overclocking is one discipline where learning as you go requires an inordinate amount of luck, and as I have personally used up all the overclocking related luck in the multiverse, its back to square one for you." < New Sig? :p **
@Naz, I'm glad we managed to help you without causing too much offence but most of these type of threads go along the lines of responders saying 'TPU Suxx, clock like a man!' or similar, without them taking the time to explain why,
leaving you no wiser as to whats going on but 'folks on the net said...'
Ryan and myself at least like to take the time to educate a person and let you see why its a bad or lesser option then you at least know why you are being advised the way you are,
As mentioned the guides are there and we will help those who are prepared to put the time,expense and effort in to get a good result,
but Clocking threads are often like the W/c threads we see here, folks want a shopping list for the 'best' W/c loop and don't want to know the details or method behind the choices, but then 99% of the time come unstuck at installation, maintenance or troubleshooting, leading to another thread saying 'I drowned and cooked my $5k rig',
We like to help you learn so you have that knowledge yourself :) 
Moto
a c 103 à CPUs
a c 190 K Overclocking
December 6, 2012 4:29:10 PM

Ps, I'd like to see some pics of the home made cooling if you could?
As well as being grumpy overclockers, Ryan and I also play with the water too :) 
His set up is way cooler than most on here, both in appeal and in operation,
mines just an always expanding modular setup which may actually be a deathstar
Moto
a c 103 à CPUs
a c 190 K Overclocking
December 6, 2012 9:29:26 PM

Not quite what I was expecting by homemade but still :) 
I'll let you off the usual cable rant for now but I usually go a bit mental when I see cables and too much tubing :p 
I'd look at more radspace for the loop, especially if clocking is your intention, a single slim 360 is barely enough to cool Cpu/2xGpu in my book, maybe the next phase is a radbox with a couple more 360's in :) 
Ryans Rig can be found in the Subambient cooling sticky up top
http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/forum/275185-11-exploring...

and mine are all over the place, I do a separate build log for each mod project I do heres the links for each part (that I can remember)
http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/forum/forum2.php?config=t...
http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/forum/274180-11-psycho-ri...
http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/forum/272443-11-asus-6950...
http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/forum/276566-11-fire-exti...
http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/forum/279524-11-chiller-p...
I'm currently exploring a 4.6GHz overclock on my 975Be but my coolings not up to it so the chillerbox is a vital module to get finished and the fire extinguisher will be added in the next rebuild as well :) 
Moto

December 7, 2012 12:06:22 AM

Motopsychojdn said:
Not quite what I was expecting by homemade but still :) 
I'll let you off the usual cable rant for now but I usually go a bit mental when I see cables and too much tubing :p 
I'd look at more radspace for the loop, especially if clocking is your intention, a single slim 360 is barely enough to cool Cpu/2xGpu in my book, maybe the next phase is a radbox with a couple more 360's in :) 
Ryans Rig can be found in the Subambient cooling sticky up top
http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/forum/275185-11-exploring...

and mine are all over the place, I do a separate build log for each mod project I do heres the links for each part (that I can remember)
http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/forum/forum2.php?config=t...
http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/forum/274180-11-psycho-ri...
http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/forum/272443-11-asus-6950...
http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/forum/276566-11-fire-exti...
http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/forum/279524-11-chiller-p...
I'm currently exploring a 4.6GHz overclock on my 975Be but my coolings not up to it so the chillerbox is a vital module to get finished and the fire extinguisher will be added in the next rebuild as well :) 
Moto

What I meant with homemade was that I have built the system by myself and not let someone els do it. Good creativity you guys got going there, I'm not that interested or have the patience to try stuff like that out but it was encouraging to see.

I might not have enough cooling, I only run 4-5 liters with 2 bays, If I were to overclock something in the near future I would possibly aim for maby 4.0 or 4.2 @ CPU, I don't tend to overclock my GPU's.

a c 103 à CPUs
a c 190 K Overclocking
December 7, 2012 8:15:21 AM

We tend to assume a custom loop is built by the owner here but yes I see what you meant,
I don't clock my cards either, no need to on a single 1680 monitor,
Glad you liked the builds anyway and if you do go mental in the future, shout up and we'll be pleased to help you on your way :) 
Moto
!