Seagate Barraduda: Mediocre Ratings (Why?)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Alyus

Distinguished
Feb 10, 2012
There is a 1 TB Seagate Barracuda for $114.99, 64 cache, 7200 RPM, SATA III, but it has 20% one egg ratings at Newegg.com. Why is that? Granted, there are only 60 reviews, but still, I believe anything over 10% is too high. What's your take on this item?

Solution

Keep in mind that return rates do not necessarily reflect defect rates. I bet most of the "green" hard drives were returned because they are just as slow as molasses.

Although not really relevant here, it is my understanding that Samsung has exited the hard drive business which is very sad. I love my F3.
Have you looked through the reviews? Sometimes people post reviews for the dumbest things. Like I saw one that the guy gave one star less because the UPS guy was late. Another more popular one and I have seen this one a lot is that they give only one star because they didn't get thier rebate.
With Newegg I usually take the top two (5 stars and 4 stars) and add them and then the bottom two (one star and two stars) and add them and use that for the rating. Then I will go through and try to see how many bogus ones there are.

Alyus

Distinguished
Feb 10, 2012

I too am kind of suspicious because the WD Caviar Black 1TB with the same specs is $149.99. What's your take on this?

Alyus

Distinguished
Feb 10, 2012

I think I've decided. All I need is my 128 GB SSD. Windows 7 (20GB), Skyrim (6GB), Battlefield 3 (20GB) for a total of 46GB with plenty of space for other minor old games like Morrowind. This is just a gaming rig so I won't be need anything more. If necessary, I can see what the prices will be like for HDD in Q4.

tlmck

Distinguished

If it is just a gaming rig, SSD is the best way to go because data loss is more of an inconvenience than catastrophe. I would still back up your game settings and such daily if such things are important to you.

tlmck

Distinguished

Keep in mind that return rates do not necessarily reflect defect rates. I bet most of the "green" hard drives were returned because they are just as slow as molasses.

Although not really relevant here, it is my understanding that Samsung has exited the hard drive business which is very sad. I love my F3.

Solution
Status
Not open for further replies.