XFX "double lifetime" warranty?

Status
Not open for further replies.

llmercll

Distinguished
Nov 20, 2008
So I only have 1 life, what makes it double? Do I get free repairs 2 times throughout my life? or does the warranty transfer if i sell it? anyone know?

And also, "lifetime warranty", what is that exactly? It surely can't be my entire lifetime...I can't just call em up in like 50 years and ask them to repair my HD 4750...by then parts for that card would be antiques and they would have to replace it with a new model. Which would be awesome...but sounds too good to be true. What can you really expect out of a lifetime warranty?

Thanks!

Solution
http://www.bit-tech.net/news/hardware/2005/08/18/xfx_lifetime_warranty/1

this is a bit dated but explains what it is
"XFX have taken this a step further in North America, where they're offering a lifetime warranty that protects your video card, and its next owner provided that you register the video card on XFX's website. "

read their warranty information here:
http://www.xfxforce.com/en-us/Help/Support/WarrantyInformation.aspx

**EDIT**
Found their double warranty specifics on their site, read it and it should answer all your questions

http://xfxforce.com/en-us/Features/DoubleLifetimeWarranty.aspx

pilotkira

Distinguished
Jul 29, 2009
http://www.bit-tech.net/news/hardware/2005/08/18/xfx_lifetime_warranty/1

this is a bit dated but explains what it is
"XFX have taken this a step further in North America, where they're offering a lifetime warranty that protects your video card, and its next owner provided that you register the video card on XFX's website. "

read their warranty information here:
http://www.xfxforce.com/en-us/Help/Support/WarrantyInformation.aspx

**EDIT**
Found their double warranty specifics on their site, read it and it should answer all your questions

http://xfxforce.com/en-us/Features/DoubleLifetimeWarranty.aspx

Solution
If I had an XFX HD3650 that needed replaced, I could probably get an HD4650 out of the deal, because they don't carry the 3650's anymore.

2x Lifetime means that if you were to sell your card on E-Bay, the card would be under warranty still.

pilotkira

Distinguished
Jul 29, 2009
lifetime of a video card is pretty much forever (until it breaks down), apply double lifetime warranty and you can basically have it from when one person passes on and the next owner passes on, assuming that you register it

what you refer to the lifetime of video cards in the previous statement is not even plausible, that's personal preference to change cards every couple of years; a card doesn't stop working just because a new one comes out every year as you say

llmercll

Distinguished
Nov 20, 2008
This is what Wikipedia says, and what I was questioning (wasn't clear enough, sorry). Life "on the market" for a video card is pretty short.

"A lifetime warranty is usually a guarantee on the lifetime of the product on the market rather than the lifetime of the consumer[3] (the exact meaning should be defined in the actual warranty documentation). If a product has been discontinued and is no longer available, the warranty may last a limited period longer. For example, the Cisco Limited Lifetime Warranty currently lasts for five years after the product has been discontinued.[4]"

Thankfully, XFX DOES cover you for your entire life...

"GRAPHICS CARDS: The limited hardware warranty for Graphics Cards lasts for a time period of one year. If you register the product online at http://www.xfxforce.com/ within 30 days of purchase, your limited warranty will be extended for the duration of your life. Registration within 30 days of the date of purchase is a condition precedent to receiving the lifetime warranty. "

This is kinda funny...I'll give it to my grandkinds before I die it'll really be a double lifetime warranty.

"If the original owner has a warranty for the duration of its life, the new owner’s life shall become the measuring life that determines the duration of the warranty. "

I don't see anything about how many times you can send it in though.

pilotkira

Distinguished
Jul 29, 2009
pretty much unlimited as long as you register it, but graphics cards don't break down that easily (i still have my old 6600 and 6800 from years ago, and they still work fine) and unless you want to keep the card for your entire lifetime i wouldn't stress about the double lifetime warranty; check out reports of brand companies and see how well they replace/repair your cards. I can say though all my graphics cards has been XFX and i have never had a problem with them and they have never broken down.

i've had these from XFX
Geforce 6800XT, 8800GT
ATI: 5850 black

llmercll

Distinguished
Nov 20, 2008
That's good. I've got an old sapphire 9800pro that's still running strong in one my machines =p

On the other hand my laptop video card died only a year and a half in, so it made me very cautious. I wish I had a lifetime warranty on my laptop gpu...I'd probably end up using it.

rykion

Distinguished
Apr 16, 2010
Nope, XFX is NOT honoring their double-lifetime warranty in the US. I had a defective 8800GTX that I put in for an RMA and they told me the warranty is no longer valid....I was the ORIGINAL owner with a receipt of purchase not more than 3 years old......AVOID XFX at all costs. They do NOT stand by their warranty and their customer service is the SLOWEST of any computer hardware manufacturer I've ever dealt with and I've been in this business for 20+ years.

notty22

Distinguished
you probably DID NOT register within 30 days. This warranty is very much like rebates, they hope end users don't comply to 'rules', thus voiding either rebate or warranty. Its a loophole I agree. But allows them to do business profitably. I have a 8600gt , original owner, tiger direct original receipt. They also will not honor. I failed to register in a timely manner, my bad.

MikeO89

Distinguished
Dec 24, 2006
To get the lifetime warranty, you have to register the card on XFX website within 30 days of purchasing it. If you don't do that, the warranty is only one year. The double lifetime warranty means that a second owner can also get the lifetime warranty passed on if the second owner also registers the card within 30 days of him getting it. I think the second owner will only get the lifetime warranty if the first owner registered it within 30 days of it originally being bought.

G

I did register mine within 30 days ... did it before I even installed the card (In my case, an XFX GeForce 8600 GTX Alpha Dog Edition)

Bought it December, 2007. Card died beginning of December 2009. Created a support ticket, they generated an RMA, but I never got around to shipping it in, so they closed the ticket. Fast forward 4 months later, I asked them to reopen the ticket, and they reply saying the card is not under warranty.

Try to explain THAT one! :D

Anyway, my days as an XFX customer are over.

G

I had the same issue. I had 3 capacitors on the board literally explode. It popped so loud my wife heard it from upstairs. Unfortunately they are claiming since I didn't register the product the warranty is only 1 year. It is absolutely ridiculous. Does anyone know when XFX started this policy? I know if I would have seen any information about needing to register the product, I would have.

Status
Not open for further replies.