Sign in with
Your question

24v fan. What do I need to run them?

Last response: in Overclocking
a b K Overclocking
December 5, 2012 2:42:04 PM

Hello everyone, I have been given some 24v fans. (well 12v to 28v with 24v being the recommended I guess you could say.) It came with one of those server fan boards. A 9 slot beast. (alright probably not as cool as I think it is.)

I don't know if I would be able to just plug them into a molex connector to see if they work or not. The reason being is the fan cable colors are Red, White, Blue. Now if I remember correctly normal case fans are red yellow black, right? They look to be keyed as normal. It also came with a fan controller that has a 20pin connector.

So I guess TL;DR is I want to run 24v fans that have differently colored cables, is their anything I should watch out for and/or do differently when hooking these up?

I can take pictures if you want me to. Also I think this might be the model name: 4414 F/2 EBMpapst

More about : 24v fan run

a b K Overclocking
December 5, 2012 4:25:53 PM

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fan_control

Your PC doesn't have proper support for a 24V fan. Fans are usually 12V.

Additionally, you usually want a very quiet fan for the case or a fan that you can CONTROL THE SPEED. Most motherboards can only control the speed of 4-pin fans hooked to the motherboard with PWM (Pulse Width Modulation) selected via the BIOS (usually additional support in the motherboard software application).

Even if you could attach the 24V fan, I strongly recommend you do not use it.

If you would like help on setting up your PC for optimal airflow and minimum noise send me these basic specs:
1) case
2) CPU
3) CPU Heatsink/Fan
4) Graphics Card
5) Power Supply
m
l
a b K Overclocking
December 5, 2012 4:37:54 PM

photonboy said:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fan_control

Your PC doesn't have proper support for a 24V fan. Fans are usually 12V.

Additionally, you usually want a very quiet fan for the case or a fan that you can CONTROL THE SPEED. Most motherboards can only control the speed of 4-pin fans hooked to the motherboard with PWM (Pulse Width Modulation) selected via the BIOS (usually additional support in the motherboard software application).

Even if you could attach the 24V fan, I strongly recommend you do not use it.

If you would like help on setting up your PC for optimal airflow and minimum noise send me these basic specs:
1) case
2) CPU
3) CPU Heatsink/Fan
4) Graphics Card
5) Power Supply

That uhh.. Doesn't really answer any of my questions or tell me anything I didn't already know. They do make 24v fans for pc that run just fine on 12v. Sanyo makes a couple of these. I could run them off of 12v from a molex to 3pin adapter and I am assuming that would work fine even though the 12v is rated as their bottom line.

I want to take all risks into account before I do anything with these fans. Why do you suggest against using a 24v fan off a 12v power source such as a molex connector?

I have read about voltage mods but I am abstaining from that as I do not have a backup power supply and I am definitely not using the only one I have around the house to try it out :) 

I would prefer a predone solution to this, such as a fan controller with this functionality built in somehow.
m
l
Related resources
!